Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

MissKate13
Sage

Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Post #1

Post by MissKate13 »

1. Jehovah’s Witnesses say Jesus was “a god.” This is how the NWT reads (John 1:1).

Do JW’s believe Jesus was a true or false god?

2. JW’s say Jesus is a created being.

When was Jesus (capital or lower case g) created?

I look forward to your responses to one or both questions.

MissKate13
”For unless you believe that I am, you will die in your sins.” (John 8:24

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Questions about Jesus and JW’s

Post #651

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Capbook wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 4:29 am
JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:38 am
Yes Jesus died; God [Almighty God] cannot die (see 1 Timothy 6:16 ). So Jesus cannot be Almighty God.
We believe Jesus in dual nature, His flesh dies ...
Was he not Almighty God when he died ? Or was he not really dead then?
INDEX: More bible based ANSWERS
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 81#p826681

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -
Romans 14:8

Capbook
Scholar

Post #652

Post by Capbook »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 7:01 am
Yes Jesus died; God [Almighty God] cannot die (see 1 Timothy 6:16 ). So Jesus cannot be Almighty God.
We believe Jesus in dual nature, His flesh dies ...
What died is His human nature.(flesh). His equal with the Father was with Him always. Heb 1:3.
Because we believe He is 100% human and 100% divine even He is in human likeness. Phi 2:7.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #653

Capbook wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 4:36 am
What died is His human nature.(flesh).
So Jesus wasn't completely dead, just "partially "? ( Isn't that like being a little bit pregnant ?)

"For if we live, we live to Jehovah, and if we die, we die to Jehovah. So both if we live and if we die, we belong to Jehovah" -

Capbook
Scholar

Post #654

Post by Capbook »

JehovahsWitness wrote: Sun May 26, 2024 9:25 am
So Jesus wasn't completely dead, just "partially "? ( Isn't that like being a little bit pregnant ?)
Jesus human flesh died.
John 19:33 says,
But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs.
NIV

onewithhim
Savant

Post #655

Post by onewithhim »

Capbook wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 4:28 am
Jesus human flesh died.
But when they came to Jesus and found that he was already dead, they did not break his legs.
NIV
You avoid the question here. Was Jesus partially dead? That would be the case if he had some ethereal part of him escape from his body upon death. But the Scriptures say that he was actually DEAD. He went to his grave and was resurrected three days later.

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #656

Post by 2timothy316 »

Capbook wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:00 am

1 Peter 3:18
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit,(NKJV)
John 10:17-18
Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.(KJV)

We believe Jesus in dual nature, His flesh dies (human nature), take back His life (Divine nature)
As Barnes understand Jesus as Father's equal, Jesus is also Almighty.

Hebrews 1:3
It is to show his claims to our reverence as sent from God-the last and greatest of the messengers which God bas sent to man. But, then it is a description of him "as he actually is" - the incarnate Son of God; the equal of the Father in human flesh.
(from Barnes' Notes)
What Barnes thinks is in conflict with Christ and the Bible. I'd recommend reading the Bible for yourself and not letting Barnes determine what you believe.

What does Jesus think? "The Father is greater than I." John 14:28

What does the Bible say? After Jesus death what is Jesus final position? Co-Ruler with his Father? Nope. "But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone." 1 Corinthians 15:28. This scripture clearly separates the two as one having complete rulership and the other being in subjection to the other. Not equal.
Last edited by 2timothy316 on Wed May 29, 2024 8:48 am, edited 1 time in total.

Capbook
Scholar

Post #657

Post by Capbook »

onewithhim wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:47 am
Jesus human flesh died.
NIV
You avoid the question here. Was Jesus partially dead? That would be the case if he had some ethereal part of him escape from his body upon death. But the Scriptures say that he was actually DEAD. He went to his grave and was resurrected three days later.
John 19:33 says Jesus is dead not partially dead. Because Jesus was in human form, and Jesus’ soul-spirit separated from His body (John 19:30). However, if by “death” we mean “a cessation of existence,” then, no, God did not die. For God to “die” in that sense would mean that He ceased to exist, and neither the Father nor the Son nor the Holy Spirit will ever cease to exist. The Son, the second Person of the Trinity, left the body He temporarily inhabited on Earth, but His divine nature did not die, nor could it. Yes, He went to His grave and resurrected the third day.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #658

Capbook wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:02 am
You avoid the question here. Was Jesus partially dead?
John 19:33 says Jesus is dead not partially dead.
So it wasnt just a part of him that was dead all of him was dead. Correct?

2timothy316
Under Probation

Post #659

Post by 2timothy316 »

Capbook wrote: Wed May 29, 2024 4:02 am
onewithhim wrote: Mon May 27, 2024 9:47 am
Jesus human flesh died.
NIV
John 19:33 says Jesus is dead not partially dead. Because Jesus was in human form, and Jesus’ soul-spirit separated from His body (John 19:30). However, if by “death” we mean “a cessation of existence,” then, no, God did not die. For God to “die” in that sense would mean that He ceased to exist, and neither the Father nor the Son nor the Holy Spirit will ever cease to exist. The Son, the second Person of the Trinity, left the body He temporarily inhabited on Earth, but His divine nature did not die, nor could it. Yes, He went to His grave and resurrected the third day.
If there was no complete death then there was no resurrection from the dead. There needs to be a death for there to be a resurrection from the dead. If there was no death then no one paid death for our sins. Paul under God's inspired direction put it best...

"If, indeed, there is no resurrection of the dead, then Christ has not been raised up. But if Christ has not been raised up, our preaching is certainly in vain, and your faith is also in vain. Moreover, we are also found to be false witnesses of God, because we have given witness against God by saying that he raised up the Christ, whom he did not raise up if the dead are really not to be raised up. For if the dead are not to be raised up, neither has Christ been raised up. Further, if Christ has not been raised up, your faith is useless; you remain in your sins. Then also those who have fallen asleep in death in union with Christ have perished. If in this life only we have hoped in Christ, we are to be pitied more than anyone." 1 Cor 15:13-19

This is the MAJOR problem with doctrine of the eternal soul in people and in Jesus as God. Death = more life and that is just wrong according to Ecc 9:5.

Capbook
Scholar

Post #660

Post by Capbook »

2timothy316 wrote: Tue May 28, 2024 8:45 am
Capbook wrote: Sat May 25, 2024 2:00 am

1 Peter 3:18
For Christ also suffered once for sins, the just for the unjust, that He might bring us to God, being put to death in the flesh but made alive by the Spirit,(NKJV)
John 10:17-18
Therefore doth my Father love me, because I lay down my life, that I might take it again. No man taketh it from me, but I lay it down of myself. I have power to lay it down, and I have power to take it again. This commandment have I received of my Father.(KJV)

We believe Jesus in dual nature, His flesh dies (human nature), take back His life (Divine nature)
As Barnes understand Jesus as Father's equal, Jesus is also Almighty.

Hebrews 1:3
It is to show his claims to our reverence as sent from God-the last and greatest of the messengers which God bas sent to man. But, then it is a description of him "as he actually is" - the incarnate Son of God; the equal of the Father in human flesh.
(from Barnes' Notes)
What Barnes thinks is in conflict with Christ and the Bible. I'd recommend reading the Bible for yourself and not letting Barnes determine what you believe.

What does Jesus think? "The Father is greater than I." John 14:28

What does the Bible say? After Jesus death what is Jesus final position? Co-Ruler with his Father? Nope. "But when all things will have been subjected to him, then the Son himself will also subject himself to the One who subjected all things to him, that God may be all things to everyone." 1 Corinthians 15:28. This scripture clearly separates the two as one having complete rulership and the other being in subjection to the other. Not equal.
Your interpretation of 1 Cor 15:28 differ from JFB exegesis, they understand Jesus is co-equal with the Father.

1 Corinthians 15:28
And when all things shall be subdued unto him, then shall the Son also himself be subject unto him that put all things under him, that God may be all in all.

Son also himself be subject - not as creatures are, but as a Son, voluntarily subordinate to, though co-equal with the Father. In the mediatorial economy the Son had been in a manner distinct from the Father; Now His kingdom shall merge in the Father's, with whom He is one: not that there is any derogation from His honour; for the Father wills "that all should honour the Son, even as they honour the Father" (John 5:22-23; Heb 1:6).
(from Jamieson, Fausset, and Brown Commentary)