Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

sledheavy
Scholar

reality tv christians

Post #1

Post by sledheavy »

http://www.christianitytoday.com/tc/2005/002/8.12.html

Mtv's the real world, at least from what I've gathered, tends to take people on one hand who have beliefs or ideologies and conflict them to the extent that nothing really moral appears to come out of their intentions in the show.

It brings to light the credibility of all aspects of the show in fact. Do we question the producers for on splicing scenes of the show that get aired? Or do we question the person's actions and bias' over their intent and motive, because they are so conflicted? Or do we take on over the other?

It's a ridiculous show to begin with, don't get me wrong, but the articles author is right in saying that 'qualities seem absent in most of the reality-tv show contestants'. And not just absent, EXTREMELY absent.

Not to mention that after the first few days of filming we find out that a gay christian is trying to score chicks, or that the drunk chick is singling out the african american.

So that in the end there really was no point at all

The topic for this debate is really another one on influences (at least that's what I want to hear), how viewers, and more importantly CHRISTIAN viewers of the current generation might be influenced by reality tv, or rather how they're not. Especially that there are some christians on reality tv.

twobitsmedia

Re: reality tv christians

Post #2

Post by twobitsmedia »

sledheavy wrote:http://www.christianitytoday.com/tc/2005/002/8.12.html

Mtv's the real world, at least from what I've gathered, tends to take people on one hand who have beliefs or ideologies and conflict them to the extent that nothing really moral appears to come out of their intentions in the show.

It brings to light the credibility of all aspects of the show in fact. Do we question the producers for on splicing scenes of the show that get aired? Or do we question the person's actions and bias' over their intent and motive, because they are so conflicted? Or do we take on over the other?

It's a ridiculous show to begin with, don't get me wrong, but the articles author is right in saying that 'qualities seem absent in most of the reality-tv show contestants'. And not just absent, EXTREMELY absent.

Not to mention that after the first few days of filming we find out that a gay christian is trying to score chicks, or that the drunk chick is singling out the african american.

The topic for this debate is really another one on influences (at least that's what I want to hear), how viewers, and more importantly CHRISTIAN viewers of the current generation might be influenced by reality tv, or rather how they're not. Especially that there are some christians on reality tv.
My view is that there is really no such thing as "reality TV" shows. Once that camera is on....life isn't real anymore. I feel that way about CSPAN also. Since the cameras became a part of congress, there has been an increase in grandstanding. They know the camera is on and play to it.

sledheavy
Scholar

Post #3

Post by sledheavy »

twobitsmedia wrote:

My view is that there is really no such thing as "reality TV" shows. Once that camera is on....life isn't real anymore. I feel that way about CSPAN also. Since the cameras became a part of congress, there has been an increase in grandstanding. They know the camera is on and play to it.
Very, very true statement. I'd completely forgot about that. My philosophy and film teacher once said that there exists no reality tv. Good point. Any comment as pertaining to the persons though? It sounds like a lot of the time maybe self expression or tends to overpower intent in religion, or that these motives are put aside for the time they're there.

twobitsmedia

Post #4

Post by twobitsmedia »

sledheavy wrote:
twobitsmedia wrote:

Very, very true statement. I'd completely forgot about that. My philosophy and film teacher once said that there exists no reality tv. Good point. Any comment as pertaining to the persons though? It sounds like a lot of the time maybe self expression or tends to overpower intent in religion, or that these motives are put aside for the time they're there.

Christians would be no different. And in the extreme event they were, it would probably not make for good TV and wouldn't make the air anyway. When MTV followed the "Osbournes" around the house, the only stuff that made the TV show was the entertaining stuff they could compact into a time slot with commercials. A Christian studying the Bible wouldn't make the TV show, unless they were studying about sex and the dialogue was promiscuous enough.. Then it would be in "coming attractions" reel.

sledheavy
Scholar

Post #5

Post by sledheavy »

Maybe it's high time for religious programing to start daveling in 'reality tv', eh? Show the rest of the network what's up.