Should A/A's Participate in Religious Ceremonies?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

ST88
Site Supporter

Should A/A's Participate in Religious Ceremonies?

Post #1

Post by ST88 »

Should Atheists and/or Agnostics participate in religious ceremonies? Please answer in general terms, if you feel that may apply, or on personal terms -- would you participate and have your participated?

I'm not exclusively talking about Christmas, Easter, and other secularized holidays and functions (like weddings), though those are OK to discuss. But I'm really after real, honest-to-god religious ceremonies that have no analogues in secular life. Bar-Mitzvah's maybe. Midnight Mass with your family. That sort of thing.

The Hungry Atheist
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by The Hungry Atheist »

Well, I'm going to be going to a Christmas service at my local church, largely because my parents were involved in organising it and it'd be nice to offer some support. I know a number of other atheists and non-Christians who are planning to go along to some kind of carol service, simply because they enjoy the festive spirit and like having a good old sing-song.

I suppose it depends on quite what you mean by whether we "should" attend such events. It's not an offense to my sensibilities, so personally I have no problem, but if any of the religious people organising such an event didn't want me there, I probably shouldn't intrude on their turf.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by ST88 »

The Hungry Atheist wrote:I suppose it depends on quite what you mean by whether we "should" attend such events.
I guess I'm also assuming a "we" when I say that. One of the questions I have is how you personally feel about it, but another is how you feel about A/A's as a whole -- assuming there can be something called a "movement" of this sort -- participating in such things. I gather you would have no problem with it. Why not? I realize this is kind of a strange question, but since your beliefs include the idea that knowledge of God is not necessarily possible, how do you see such celebrations?

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ST88 »

For myself, I take the view that religious ceremonies don't mean anything, so I have no problems, personally, taking part in them. It's kind of like theater. I see no reason to deny myself that experience. If you've ever seen the movie "Leap of Faith," Steve Martin (a preacher) gives a good speech about putting on a traveling preacher show. He says something along the lines of it being the same as a Broadway production except some people might have a personal connection to it. And what's wrong with that?

Although the ceremonies lack any inherent meaning, that doesn't mean that actually performing the rituals is useless for people, if merely because of the placebo effect. But I wonder if I am helping perpetuate their myths by not having a "religious objection."

Corvus
Guru

Post #5

Post by Corvus »

ST88 wrote: Although the ceremonies lack any inherent meaning, that doesn't mean that actually performing the rituals is useless for people, if merely because of the placebo effect. But I wonder if I am helping perpetuate their myths by not having a "religious objection."
If I recall correctly, you believe religion to be a deception - probably not in the sense of a fabrication, but rather in the sense of a delusion. This leads me to ask; is it acceptable to lie or support a lie if happiness is the only result? As for me - who shares your view - I do not have any qualms about allowing a lie in these circumstances. I have actually considered that if I were to have a child, I may even want to bring them up as a Christian because it confers some special advantages and benefits in conduct. Faith can make people happy easily. My own secular happiness, brought about by an intellectual effort, probably won't be accessible to many people. Even so, I have decided against bringing up a child as a Christian because though the restrictions imposed on their conduct might be good, making them clean-living and virtuous, other sorts of restrictions imposed on their mind from believing in only one standard of right and wrong might not be so welcome. I would not want an open mind subverted by faith.

That said, my appearance at a religious ceremony is really of no consequence, and I would have no objection to participating in one unless we are talking about a goat sacrifice or ritual female genitalia mutilation. Since I don't attend secular festivities, I won't ever be at a religious one unless it is to show support for a person or persons.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

Vladd44
Sage

Post #6

Post by Vladd44 »

That said, my appearance at a religious ceremony is really of no consequence, and I would have no objection to participating in one unless we are talking about a goat sacrifice or ritual female genitalia mutilation.
Having been to more religious events that i care to remember.... I was raised in a religious household, my dad was a pastor.

I have never been to an event like that .. and just for personal reasons, if you find one with a goat sacrifice, let me know, I would be interested in attending.....

Seriously, I have not been to a church since my open admission of unbelief. And quite frankly, I dont plan on wasting my time with any religious event. I'm too old to spend my time in such a trivial matter as an event for a god that doesnt exist.