Subliminal messages

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

asajoseph
Student

Subliminal messages

Post #1

Post by asajoseph »

First of all, a warning: the link below contains songs, played in reverse, which it is claimed contain satanic and other subliminal messages.

http://www3.telus.net/jefmil/stairwaybackwards.htm

So, before I begin, I'd just like to make it very VERY clear that I'm very skeptical about these examples. But I have a few questions - does anyone have any specific information with regards to the Led Zeppelin track? I know they were into Crowely, but it's only circumstantial.

Secondly, does anyone believe that the media conveys subliminal messages, of any kind, in this or other ways?

Asa

mrmufin
Scholar

Post #11

Post by mrmufin »

ST88 wrote:The reason these songs have spiritual messages is that the people who are looking for them have a predisposition to find them.
My sentiments exactly! :D

If you play Jimi Hendrix' "Third Stone From the Sun" at double speed, you'll hear a dialogue from a popular 60's sci-fi series (Lost In Space, if I recall correctly). As to playing pieces backwards on vinyl, well... I've found that doing that can really screw up the stylus...

But this topic reminds of a recording session that I was involved in about twenty years ago... The song had an odd-timed bridge in it (somemthing like 23/8 time, I think; written to sound like the record was skipping), and we were recording synthesizer effects for the bridge that mimicked space invaders and glockenspiels and such. While doing those tracks, I realized that an ambient mic was active... Since I was kind of intrigued by the notion of backmasking something into the piece, I said (into the active ambient mic), "Let's leave this track in here, but backwards. Maybe they'll play this song backwards to try to figure out what I'm saying here." Then we pulled that track out, played it backwards onto another track, and there we had it: A backmasked message about backmasking!

Actually, I've always thought that actually playing a piece of music backwards (from the score, not the medium) was a more impressive task. Even more impressive is the ability to recognize a piece of music when it's performed in reverse :D

Regards,
mrmufin

eveil42
Student

subliminal messages in music

Post #12

Post by eveil42 »

why would anyone not want to be taken away by a certain sound? music is probably the only thing that lives outside of us and which is also something that lives within us. sounds are meant to take the mind some where outside the emotions, the
emotions thus translate these sounds back within.
eveilgrl_
p.s. whether its backward, forward, in, or out, it is nessesary for the soul.

k-nug
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by k-nug »

Just the mere fact that not everyone hears these so called subliminal messages is proof enough that it is in fact, subjective. Just like the music itself. So if you are looking for an evil message, you may find one.

I think also, to believe that bands who go out of their way to do this, one would also believe the brain is hardwired to understand English, forwards or backwards. It's not. We take 12 years to learn it.

sdrowkcab ecnetnes siht dneherpmoc dna daer ot ti si drah woh

Read the above normally and at normal speed. You have no idea what it's saying, and your brain cannot get any meaning from it. This is how your brain would recieve a hidden backmask.

I find the idea of it a little silly.

Even if Judas Priest HAD gone through the trouble of putting in backmasking saying 'do it!!' (do what I don't know), all the brain would hear is, ti od.
My version of Genesis.
At first there was symmetry. Then something broke.

methylatedghosts
Sage

Post #14

Post by methylatedghosts »

I think all of this is partly random words you may hear and for the rest it's hearing what you WANT to hear, or rather you want to hear *something*, *anything* so you imagine you're hearing something. Anyway, you see how it goes.

Oh, btw, my internet isn't doing to good, and I can't download the thingy, so just one question. Is the pink floyd one from the song "One of These Days"?

Ah, one more thing I wanna add. Marilyn Manson talks about backmasking that was done at his school to scare the kids away from "evil" music like Led Zep, Black Sabbath, etc. And one of those bands was Led Zep, so, I dunno. Believe what you wanna believe, really.

One thing I remember doing was we were videoing each other and one guy said "drat. Here!", and we decided, for fun, to watch the clips backwards and the guy sounded like he said "re-tard", so, there's my evidence for the idea that it's all random.
Ye are Gods