illegal activity

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

TQWcS
Scholar

illegal activity

Post #1

Post by TQWcS »

If you saw someone doing something illegal would you turn them in; even if you do not agree with the punishment the law issues for that crime.

Corvus
Guru

Post #2

Post by Corvus »

It really depends on the severity of the crime or whether I have some ethical objection to it. I certainly wouldn't turn anyone in for burning a copy of "The Sims". That's really about all I can say without the question being refined.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

TQWcS
Scholar

Post #3

Post by TQWcS »

Should you turn someone in becaue the law tells you to even if you have objections to the law they are breaking.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by ST88 »

I would agree with Corvus, that it depended on the crime and the severity of it. I'm not going to take a picture of someone doing an illegal U-turn and send it in to the Authorities, even though I agree with most traffic laws. At the other end of the spectrum, I would go to the authorities if I saw someone commit a murder, even though I don't believe in the death penalty.

Taking the example of marijuana smoking: I wouldn't turn someone in because they were with joint -- mostly because I disagree with marijuana drug laws. But I would go to the Authorities if I found out about a meth lab somewhere, mostly because that can be dangerous beyond the effects of the drug. Come to think about it, I think I might turn someone in if they had an extremely large stash of hash, much more than they could ever use themselves. I don't know about this, though, because we have medical marijuana laws in California, and a wholesale distributor is not without merit in such a situation.

mrmufin
Scholar

Post #5

Post by mrmufin »

ST88 wrote:Come to think about it, I think I might turn someone in if they had an extremely large stash of hash, much more than they could ever use themselves.
Ha! Yeah, I'd turn 'em in, too: I'd try real hard to turn 'em into a very close friend! :D

As to the original question, I'm largely in agreement with Corvus and ST88. Whether or not someone is going to be reported to authorities by me is dependent upon the illegal activity being committed. I wouldn't think twice about reporting violent criminal activities, while I'm admittedly soft on things like tax evasion, parking violations, prostitution, and minor drug offenses.

Regards,
mrmufin

potwalloper.
Scholar

Post #6

Post by potwalloper. »

For me it also depends on the context and the severity of the crime...I certainly wouldn't just turn them in because the law says I should.

Unless of course they were a Manchester United supporter - if that was the case I'd turn them in no matter what they did even if it was legal! :D

spiritletter
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by spiritletter »

Depends. If a homeless person is stealing something to eat, no.

If a rape other violent crime is about to be committed, if a business or politician is doing something illegal, yes.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #8

Post by Furrowed Brow »

It is oft said that people in the UK have given up reporting crime. Here's why?

Some friend of the family were recently burgled. The wife went out for less than half an hour and on arriving home found the house had been broken in to. The house contained a heavy safe. This had been taken. Given its weight, it would have taken time and effort to move. Given she had not been out long, she could only have missed them by a matter of minutes. She was obviously very nervous as she did not know whether they were still around. She called 999 (that’ll be like 911 if you’re in the US).

The police arrived…do you care to hazard a guess as to the response time……if you live in the UK it will not be a surprise…..scroll down….

….two days later.

The next door house was up for sale and standing empty. It appeared the burglars had come through the garage of the empty house gaining access over the back gardens. The police - when they eventually turned up - offered the suggestion that they thought the safe might have been left in the empty garage and retrieved later. A fact they might have been able to confirm if they had turned up at the time. This is not an unusual encounter.

Another close friend lives in a village that suffers from high crime rate due to a local traveller site. Keeping an eye on his neighbours house while they were away he found two travellers emptying his neighbours garage. He immediatly called 999. The police refused to attend as it was not deemed an emergency. So the guy confronted the thieves himself sand managed to frightened them off, but only after threats of violence and recrimination. The next night his car was vandalised in his driveway, and the neighbours garage was emptied. He reported it but the police again showed litter interest. Even when he told the police where the travellers could be found.

I could go on.

crystalmage
Student

Post #9

Post by crystalmage »

If I turned someone in for a crime I would be responsible for the punishment they got. For example if I turned some one in for smoking a joint and they got executed I'd be responsible for their death. So i'd only turn some one in if their crime is a direct threat to others.
McCulloch wrote: I make no claims about God.
McCulloch wrote:We claim that god does not exist

People who keep changing their story are called liars.

spiritletter
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by spiritletter »

crystalmage wrote:If I turned someone in for a crime I would be responsible for the punishment they got. For example if I turned some one in for smoking a joint and they got executed I'd be responsible for their death. So i'd only turn some one in if their crime is a direct threat to others.
The only place I know where people get executed for dope is Singapore.