seventil
Scholar

Obama defends his stance on Christian right 'hijacking faith

Post #1

Post by seventil »

http://rawstory.com/news/2007/Obama_def ... _0730.html

Sounds like my type of guy.

Any thoughts on this article?

How do you think this stance will affect him in the election?

Do you agree with what he says?
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath
already committed breakfast with it in his heart" -- C.S. Lewis

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by Goat »

seventil wrote:
goat wrote:
I think in general, that won't matter for the popularity of Obama anyway. The ones that tend to think like that are very conservative politically, and wouldn't vote for a democrat anyway. While I think Obama is not electable anyway, it won't be because of his statement about the religious right.
What do you think the reason for him not being electable is? His age? Race? Another standpoint?

From what I've heard, the thing they criticize the most about him is his lack of experience. Honestly, I find it a bit refreshing, as another codgey old guy isn't a good thing, in my opinion.

I think if he beats Hillary in the primary race, he's the top candidate for the Presidency, just because of the lack of a good Republican candidate.
I think that unfortunately, his race will make him unelectable. I do not think that
the southern states will swing to a candidate that is black. He also is an 'outsider' when it comes the politics.

I don't think Hillary is electable because of the emotional baggage she has (i.e. her husband, and that abortive health care issue). I would not vote for her for president because of the way she handled support for the Iraqi war. It left a bad taste in my mouth... (well, if it was her, and any of the current republican candidates I would probably vote for her). I would be very happy to vote for Obama. I just don't think he would win.

seventil
Scholar

Post #12

Post by seventil »

goat wrote:
I think that unfortunately, his race will make him unelectable. I do not think that
the southern states will swing to a candidate that is black. He also is an 'outsider' when it comes the politics.
Quite possible. However, I think Obama is really targetting the liberal based states. A Dem just isn't going to win in most south states, sadly, even with a terrible showing of Republican candidates. I think, though, that due to the War in Iraq, all states that only barely went to Bush last time (like Florida) are going to swing the Dem's way.

Also, I think Obama could have a huge influence on the minority population. This could greatly influence Texas, Arizona, and perhaps Louisiana.
I don't think Hillary is electable because of the emotional baggage she has (i.e. her husband, and that abortive health care issue). I would not vote for her for president because of the way she handled support for the Iraqi war. It left a bad taste in my mouth... (well, if it was her, and any of the current republican candidates I would probably vote for her). I would be very happy to vote for Obama. I just don't think he would win.
I agree. I think she's just shady. She seems very fake and plastic to me, added with the issues you have above.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath
already committed breakfast with it in his heart" -- C.S. Lewis

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by Goat »

seventil wrote:
goat wrote:
Quite possible. However, I think Obama is really targetting the liberal based states. A Dem just isn't going to win in most south states, sadly, even with a terrible showing of Republican candidates. I think, though, that due to the War in Iraq, all states that only barely went to Bush last time (like Florida) are going to swing the Dem's way.

Also, I think Obama could have a huge influence on the minority population. This could greatly influence Texas, Arizona, and perhaps Louisiana.
That is a possibility. I can hope, but remain skeptical. I think, with the information I currently have available to me, that he would make a reasonable president. It
would be a very historic event to have a black president.

MagusYanam
Guru

Post #14

Post by MagusYanam »

goat wrote:That is a possibility. I can hope, but remain skeptical. I think, with the information I currently have available to me, that he would make a reasonable president. It would be a very historic event to have a black president.
Some would say we already had one in Bill Clinton. I, however, would object. :)

Personally, I agree that Obama would make a reasonable president. I feel that Obama is the most coherent, sensible and articulate of the candidates so far, and one gets the feeling that he can actually stand for something, whereas I think Hillary Clinton may have Kennedy syndrome.

As it is, if it came down to a contest between Hillary and any of the Republicans right now, I would also vote Hillary. Unless Chuck Hagel by some happy accident won the Republican nomination. Though as long as I'm hoping, I might as well watch a paper dog chase an asbestos cat through hell.

As regards Obama, I think he needs to focus his attention on the Midwest - Minnesota, the Dakotas, Iowa, Wisconsin, Michigan, Illinois, Indiana and Ohio - if he wants to get elected. He's already geared enough toward the coasts, but I think he's got to work to win the more populist Midwesterners.
If I am capable of grasping God objectively, I do not believe, but precisely because I cannot do this I must believe.

- Søren Kierkegaard

My blog