Silly question? Maybe...

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Snoozey`
Student

Silly question? Maybe...

Post #1

Post by Snoozey` »

If God gives us free will, which I have believed it so, then why during the plague on Egypt did God harden the Pharaoh's heart? Technically you cannot call that free will, am I correct?

Secondly which parts of the Bible are WE suppose to take literally and not-literally? Telling me your views on it might help a bit.

Thanks for the inputs.

Chancellor

Re: Silly question? Maybe...

Post #11

Post by Chancellor »

Jjangthekid wrote:If God gives us free will, which I have believed it so, then why during the plague on Egypt did God harden the Pharaoh's heart? Technically you cannot call that free will, am I correct?
Your assumption that the human will is free is a false one. Since being "free" implies having rights, and since humans do not have the right to rebel against God (since God punishes sin), the human will is not free.
Secondly which parts of the Bible are WE suppose to take literally and not-literally? Telling me your views on it might help a bit.

Thanks for the inputs.
We take the literal parts literally, i.e. the parts that are not the language of prophetic visions (where seeing one thing actually has a different meaning, e.g. the beast with 10 horns in Revelation referring to the rise of the Antichrist and a one-world government), parables (stories intended to teach a moral), and metaphors (there may be a few other literary devices one might add), and the not literal parts not literally.