Site got hacked

Messages from the admins

Moderator: Moderators

otseng
Savant

Site got hacked

Post #1

Post by otseng »

The site experienced its first major hack this morning around 7 AM (EST). All the posts got corrupted and forum settings were modified. I have restored the site to the last monthly backup. So, unfortunately, all posts and new members since Aug 9 are lost. I'm currently trying to figure out how the hacker got in. In the meantime, the site might continue to experience problems until a patch is done.
Last edited by otseng on Thu Sep 20, 2007 4:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

myth-one.com
Savant

Post #81

Post by myth-one.com »

Dear Mr. Osteng,

While posting a reply, after entering a rarely used "size" statement as follows:

{size=18} This is a test {/size} (Used {} instead of [] to avoid the ALERT here)

and depressing "preview" the following boxed message appeared:

==================================================================
SECURITY ALERT » » » »
CBACK CrackerTracker has detected a potential attack on this site with a worm or exploit script so the Security System stopped the script.

If you can see this page after including a new MOD into your board or after clicking on a link please contact the Board Administrator with this error message and a description what you have done before you could see this page, that the Admin has the possibility to fix the problem.
===============================================================

This does not mean much to me. Does "this site" refer to your site or my computer? Do I need to take any action?

Thanks
Myth-one.com

Cmass
Guru

Post #82

Post by Cmass »

I just got the same thing. Is this another attack via another hole?

SECURITY ALERT » » » »
CBACK CrackerTracker has detected a potential attack on this site with a worm or exploit script so the Security System stopped the script.

If you can see this page after including a new MOD into your board or after clicking on a link please contact the Board Administrator with this error message and a description what you have done before you could see this page, that the Admin has the possibility to fix the problem.

bernee51
Site Supporter

Post #83

Post by bernee51 »

I am also getting this message when trying to add a new topic.
Cmass wrote:I just got the same thing. Is this another attack via another hole?

SECURITY ALERT » » » »

"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Vladd44
Sage

Post #84

Post by Vladd44 »

No, it is a mod that Otseng recently added to improve security on the forum.

Please be patient, it may take a few tries to iron out a few details.

A link to the mod So you can read about it yourself.

If you review the info Otseng gave in the thread about the specifics of the exploit used last week on the forum, and put it into practice (in proof of concept, not destroying people's hard work) you will find many boards that would have been vulnerable are running this mod to protect them from it..and other vulnerabilities.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com

Flail

Chicken soup

Post #85

Post by Flail »

Yes the newsletter was #13....I have been having bad luck ever since I read it....until I poured chicken soup on my head while dancing the hokey pokey....now all is well.

otseng
Savant

Post #86

Post by otseng »

Yes, I'm having some problems with the CrackerTracker mod. I'm putting it into debug mode until I get it fixed.

If you experience any problems, post what you see in this thread:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=6293

otseng
Savant

Post #87

Post by otseng »

I figured out one reason why it was giving the error message. I've now fixed it. However, there might something else causing it. If you see an error message, please post it here:
http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... php?t=6293