Do our choices make us who we are?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

gbh
Student

Do our choices make us who we are?

Post #1

Post by gbh »

In a class I took previously, we wrote a paper concerning the thoughts of a couple of philosphers, one of which was Radhakrishnan, a Hindu, who had some interesting bridge theories between Eastern and Western thought. I wrote in a summary of how his theory was close to mine:
We live our lives making choices that define who we are, sometimes we make good choices and sometimes bad. Our past narrows our future choices but does not limit the freedom to make them. The effect of each choice we make determines who we are, but the potential for redemption is always present. Although our past cannot be changed, it is a reminder of what we want or do not want in life - a guide to help us decide - but not control, the final decision. When we choose God, we experience God, and we become part of God, for to do otherwise would be “to sink to the level of our subnormal self.” So, in some ways, our destiny is determined, but how it is determined is up to us. As Radhakrishnan said, “…till the very end there is always a choice.”
The question for debate is do you believe our choices make us who we are?

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #2

Post by OnceConvinced »

I think it's more about "experiences" which make us what we are, not so much "choices". Things the happen to us in our lives, good, bad, or in between. That's what shapes our personalities especially as we grow up. I can't help but think that if our personalities do change over time, it's more in the negative than the positive. ie. becoming more cynical or hard hearted.

I went to church today. (I was at my parents place for the weekend and just went along because they invited me). The speaker there said that people don't do enough to change their personality. This annoyed me, because I don't see a pesonality as something you can change. You can surpress your personaility, but that's about it. Your personality is God given (or established from birth). I think there is little anyone can do themselves to change it.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Goat »

OnceConvinced wrote:I think it's more about "experiences" which make us what we are, not so much "choices". Things the happen to us in our lives, good, bad, or in between. That's what shapes our personalities especially as we grow up. I can't help but think that if our personalities do change over time, it's more in the negative than the positive. ie. becoming more cynical or hard hearted.

I went to church today. (I was at my parents place for the weekend and just went along because they invited me). The speaker there said that people don't do enough to change their personality. This annoyed me, because I don't see a pesonality as something you can change. You can surpress your personaility, but that's about it. Your personality is God given (or established from birth). I think there is little anyone can do themselves to change it.
I disagree. You can change a personality. It might take a lot of self conditioning,or conditioning, but you can change specific parts of it at least. When I was a youth,I have a very short and hot temper. However, I did not like that about myself. I learned to channel my anger to be more productive, and learned how to be more accepting, and to not let irritations get to me. I became calm and collected.

So, yes, I think at least some personality traits can be changed.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

goat wrote:
OnceConvinced wrote:I think it's more about "experiences" which make us what we are, not so much "choices". Things the happen to us in our lives, good, bad, or in between. That's what shapes our personalities especially as we grow up. I can't help but think that if our personalities do change over time, it's more in the negative than the positive. ie. becoming more cynical or hard hearted.

I disagree. You can change a personality. It might take a lot of self conditioning,or conditioning, but you can change specific parts of it at least. When I was a youth,I have a very short and hot temper. However, I did not like that about myself. I learned to channel my anger to be more productive, and learned how to be more accepting, and to not let irritations get to me. I became calm and collected.

But are the urges still there? If so, then you have learnt how to deal with the negative sides of your personality, you haven't actually changed your personality.

Beto

Post #5

Post by Beto »

Can we consider "phobias" personality traits? They can be overcome.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Goat »

OnceConvinced wrote:
goat wrote:

But are the urges still there? If so, then you have learnt how to deal with the negative sides of your personality, you haven't actually changed your personality.
No, the urges are no longer there. The anger is no longer there... (well, I can still get angry, but not over stupid little things). I am physically and mentally relaxed and calm.

I don't believe all personalty traits can be changed. I think some can be learned to be 'dealt' with. I also think that sometimes, people can be trained/conditioned to react in certain ways. There are different levels,and it is not simplistic.

Nameless

Post #7

Post by Nameless »

You are as 'created' each and every timeless moment.
You are 'created' 'believing' or 'thinking' that you are making choices.
You actually make no more 'choices' in your life than Mickey Mouse or Betty Boop!
They can be 'drawn' to 'think' that they do, though.
It is fine ego food, anyway. Necessary?
Perhaps the thought or belief is sufficient for the 'purpose'?

It is perspective and memory that 'make you who you are'.
Everything else can be eliminated from the equation except 'memory', and life continues as usual.
Last edited by Nameless on Sat Sep 29, 2007 5:48 am, edited 1 time in total.