The number 666

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

SlavesToRightousness

The number 666

Post #1

Post by SlavesToRightousness »

I've been to this forum before under another name. In particular - Tilia - do you know what this number means?

I've heard it represents the sum of Nero's digits in his name or something, but what is all that stuff about last days and mark on foreheads and everything?

I've seen that number in a lot of places, am I just paranoid?

I want to give my life to Christ, and not be tripped up by sin or anything else!

Tilia
Guru

Re: The number 666

Post #2

Post by Tilia »

SlavesToRightousness wrote:I've been to this forum before under another name. In particular - Tilia - do you know what this number means?
I don't read many of the threads here, but this title caught my eye. So maybe you're lucky- or maybe not!
I've heard it represents the sum of Nero's digits in his name
This is quite a popular interpretation. I don't think it fills the bill, because Nero was not nearly important enough for such an apocalyptic and global role as the beast (he was unpopular with and rejected by Roman citizens). Some say that numerology is the key. There is none of this in the whole Bible, so it does not seem likely that it would make a one-time appearance in what is probably its last book.

I think the answer is a simpler one, the meaning being what any intended contemporary witness would have understood. There is number significance aplenty in the Old Testament, and in a limited way even in the gospels. The author of Revelation is obviously very well steeped in OT thought. Much of the book makes little sense without a knowledge of the OT, and his readers must likewise have been steeped. So number significance is not unlikely to be the clue here.

We have a number written in Greek, six hundred and sixty six. Most Christians would not have read this, but heard it read out. Now how would Greek-speaking Christians with a good knowledge of the OT hear this, and interpret it? They would hear "six something, six something, six". Had they heard "seven something, seven something, seven" they would have associated God Himself with that. There is no need to fiddle about with 'translating' this number back into Hebrew. In the Bible's perspective, the number seven in any language signifies perfection, completeness, being associated with the seven days in the Mesopotamian week inherited by Abraham and the Israelites. The number three signifies completeness and certainty through repetition (not a trinity, as is often supposed). Six being the number just short of seven, when repeated three times, signifies something bad in the guise of something good- like a wolf in sheep's clothing, or a pretender to God's role- Satan 'dressed as an angel of light'. Because we see this theme in other parts of Scripture, this interpretation has hermeneutic value, unlike others.
what is all that stuff about last days and mark on foreheads
Few commentators take the mark as being a visible one. Not a few think that the restriction that accompanies it has already taken place; though of course it could become more obvious and explicit in the future.

One may deduce from this that the beast will be (or is) the enemy of the church, but will claim to act on God's behalf.

BDV

Post #3

Post by BDV »

Does the earliest found version of revelations not say 616?

Tilia
Guru

Post #4

Post by Tilia »

BDV wrote:Does the earliest found version of revelations not say 616?
Yes; and if that was the number present in the autograph, it does not make any sense at all, in hermeneutics. It makes very little sense whatever approach one takes. Irenaeus in the 2nd C. believed it to be a copied 'typo', and, because he was unlikely to support a variation that pointed up false teachers, and because there would still have been many to correct him on a simple point like that, I am, for once, inclined to believe him.

Scrotum
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by Scrotum »

Could it have something to do with Pi ?

Mathematics was in its evolution during this time, and Pi is very much involved when putting maths in action at all, and can show up in almost anything.. And 666 is.. well.......
T: ´I do not believe in gravity, it´s just a theory

ken1burton
Apprentice

The Mark.

Post #6

Post by ken1burton »

it is a Mark, Like behavior is a Mark of a Christian.

Why not do as Scripture tells you? Start counting.

(REVELATION 13:18) Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding
count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and
his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (KJV)

As Wisdom is here, Knowing Wisdom is seeing the day of the cross as 7 time periods helps a lot. When all of God’’s words were fulfilled, Like silver tried in the fire 7 times. The day of the cross is as a house built.

(PROVERBS 9:1) Wisdom hath builded her house, she hath hewn out her
seven pillars: (KJV)

You also need ““Understanding.”” Understanding is what ESTABLISHES. And the picture doubled twice is what ESTABLISHES. Understanding is seeing God made the day of the cross as 3 pictures.

(GENESIS 41:32) And for that the dream was doubled unto Pharaoh
twice; it is because the thing is established by God, and God will
shortly bring it to pass. (KJV)

Doubled twice or understanding, establishes.

This is needed to search out who the beast is.

The day of the cross as a House built:

(PROVERBS 24:3) Through wisdom is an house builded; and by
understanding it is established: (KJV)
(PROVERBS 24:4) And by knowledge shall the chambers be filled with
all precious and pleasant riches. (KJV)

The day of the cross is made as 7 days, seen as three pictures. It is all the Sevens in Revelation, or the different time periods can be seen, and the pieces put in the right places, this is Knowledge.

(ISAIAH 30:26) Moreover the light of the moon shall be as the light
of the sun, and the light of the sun shall be sevenfold, as the
light of seven days, in the day that the Lord bindeth up the breach
of his people, and healeth the stroke of their wound. (KJV)

The day of the cross is when God healed, so this day has to be seen as 7 days.

God took the day and made three pictures of it so they would Establish His words as truth.

First picture was a 4 6-hour periods seen as 4 beasts with 6-wings.
Second picture as 2 12-hour periods as 2 witnesses.
Third picture as 1 24-hour period as 24 Elders.

Each of the time periods seen as days, each of the pictures seen as days, So Jesus has tribulation 10 days.
Sunset to Midnight, as a lion, Showing what He is, what He will do.
Midnight to sunrise, Face like a Calf, as Jesus is lead to slaughter.
Sunrise to noon, Face of a man. Jesus judged for mankind
Noon to sunset, as a Flying eagle as Jesus commends His spirit to God.

Sunset to Midnight ““Let there be Light.””= I am the True Vine, I am the Good Shepherd, I am the Way the Truth and the Life, In My Father’’s house are many mansions, etc, as Jesus pours out the light. The BEGINNING is at the day of the cross, this is where the Creation story belongs.

Midnight to sunrise, People as waters, Waters above Jesus (Firmament) is Judas with the 144 seen as a wall in Revelation 21:17. They added the Cubit or reached Angel status, they are the angels given charge over Thee. Multiplied by 1,000 in Deu 1:11=144,000

Waters under Jesus is sinners, Disciples flee as Islands.

Sunrise to noon, third day, waters gathered together, or all in the Body of Christ, ““With His stripes we are healed.””

Noon to sunset. makes two great lights, sun seen as throne in Psalms 89:36, The sun is darkened as Jesus dies and they think that is the end. Moon seen as the establishment of the throne in Psalms 89:37 turned to blood as the Blood of Christ establishes the throne.

The four seals or horses:

Sunset to Midnight, White horse, Coming in clouds is when Jesus took sin, sin seen as clouds in Isaiah 44:22. Jesus said what He would do, Now He has to go do it, so the Rider goes forth conquering and to conquer.

Midnight to sunrise, Red Horse. Jesus offers Himself as a Sacrifice. First horse as the Law, Second as the Sacrifice, The law says Jesus has to die as He took sin, The Sacrifice ended the law, the power to kill one another.

Third seal is the Black horse with Balances, as Jesus is judged for mankind.

Third angel sounds, Star wormwood falls, Stars are for signs, it is a sign of the Judgment falling on Jesus from Sunrise to noon.

(AMOS 5:7) Ye who turn judgment to wormwood, and leave off
righteousness in the earth, (KJV)

Fourth seal is the pale Horse, noon to sunset as Jesus died and descended into hell, Pale horse is death followed by Hell.

Sunset to Midnight is old Heaven. Midnight to sunrise is Old Earth, Heaven and earth flee from His face seen as the face of a man in the third beast with 6-wings which is sunrise to noon, which is also New earth, New Heaven is noon to sunset.

NOW, Count the Number of the Beast, there are 4 around the throne, Now look for the pair, or second picture. One comes out of the sea, the other comes out of the earth, That makes 6 beasts. The Scarlet colored beast is seen numbered, He is number 8, He is of the Seven (Actually, He is all seven combined, Like seeing a week instead of seven separate days.

Number SEVEN IS MISSING, Go to the Next Verse: Which is Revelation 14:1
(REVELATION 13:18) Here is wisdom. Let him that hath understanding
count the number of the beast: for it is the number of a man; and
his number is Six hundred threescore and six. (KJV)
(REVELATION 14:1) And I looked, and, lo, a Lamb stood on the mount
Sion, and with him an hundred forty and four thousand, having his
Father's name written in their foreheads. (KJV)

A Lamb is a BEAST of the Field, He is also the LION of the Tribe of Judah, His number is 666.

(PSALMS 37:37) Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright: for
the end of that man is peace. (KJV)

NOW, Who would the Perfect Man be? Mark Him, Point Him out. Observe Him. Share Him, Buying or selling is sharing Jesus, God speaks in similitudes, Is your Merchandise WORTHY?

Ken

Casper
Student

Re: The number 666

Post #7

Post by Casper »

Tilia wrote:
SlavesToRightousness wrote:I've been to this forum before under another name. In particular - Tilia - do you know what this number means?
I don't read many of the threads here, but this title caught my eye. So maybe you're lucky- or maybe not!
I've heard it represents the sum of Nero's digits in his name
This is quite a popular interpretation. I don't think it fills the bill, because Nero was not nearly important enough for such an apocalyptic and global role as the beast (he was unpopular with and rejected by Roman citizens). Some say that numerology is the key. There is none of this in the whole Bible, so it does not seem likely that it would make a one-time appearance in what is probably its last book.

I think the answer is a simpler one, the meaning being what any intended contemporary witness would have understood. There is number significance aplenty in the Old Testament, and in a limited way even in the gospels. The author of Revelation is obviously very well steeped in OT thought. Much of the book makes little sense without a knowledge of the OT, and his readers must likewise have been steeped. So number significance is not unlikely to be the clue here.

We have a number written in Greek, six hundred and sixty six. Most Christians would not have read this, but heard it read out. Now how would Greek-speaking Christians with a good knowledge of the OT hear this, and interpret it? They would hear "six something, six something, six". Had they heard "seven something, seven something, seven" they would have associated God Himself with that. There is no need to fiddle about with 'translating' this number back into Hebrew. In the Bible's perspective, the number seven in any language signifies perfection, completeness, being associated with the seven days in the Mesopotamian week inherited by Abraham and the Israelites. The number three signifies completeness and certainty through repetition (not a trinity, as is often supposed). Six being the number just short of seven, when repeated three times, signifies something bad in the guise of something good- like a wolf in sheep's clothing, or a pretender to God's role- Satan 'dressed as an angel of light'. Because we see this theme in other parts of Scripture, this interpretation has hermeneutic value, unlike others.
what is all that stuff about last days and mark on foreheads
Few commentators take the mark as being a visible one. Not a few think that the restriction that accompanies it has already taken place; though of course it could become more obvious and explicit in the future.

One may deduce from this that the beast will be (or is) the enemy of the church, but will claim to act on God's behalf.
I think some of the above information is incorrect. the mark of the beast, 666, is based on hebrew numerology. I'm not sure what you are afraid of in this regard, but perhaps I can share some useful information with you that might help you.

3 is the number of divnity.
7 is the number of perfection/completion.
6 is the number of mortality.

777 is the number for God, complete, divine and perfect.
666 is the number for Man, incomplete and imperfect, but still touched by the divine.

666 is not inherently evil, but it is imperfect. Because that's what we are.

In revelations the beast is marked by 666, and he will do great evil.
Please note however that the devil is also present in revelations, and he is not the same character as the beast. So, 666 is NOT the mark of the devil.

Take from this what you will. I'll share a personal insight of my own on this matter. The beast, which will be marked by the number of man, is something that will cause great destruction and evil. It will also be a creation of mankind, not the devil (although the devil may very well use it). The number and what it signifies is not bad in and of itself.
It's just a warning that at the end times, one of the greatest evil will be created by humanity. The number itself isn't dangerous or Satanic. It's just used by uneducated or decietful people to appear so.

Flail

Christ

Post #8

Post by Flail »

Slave

Dont give your life to christ...he doesnt want it...give it to your neighbor...and in that you will find God

666 is 665 plus 1

Jesus is dead

Blood On Your Hands
Student

Post #9

Post by Blood On Your Hands »

The number 666 is society at its best.. Anyone seen the movie 'the number 23'. People can obsess as much as they'd like that 666 is the number of the beast. To tell you the truth the number 666 is in between 665 and 667...
I've seen that number in a lot of places, am I just paranoid?
yes... sorry

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #10

Post by McCulloch »

666 is the 36th triangular number.
36 is the 8th triangular number and the first number after one that is both triangular and square.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John