The Words of Socrates

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

LogicPrevails

The Words of Socrates

Post #1

Post by LogicPrevails »

Socrates is an inspiration to all skeptics, analysts, and anyone who considers themselves a philosopher of sorts. His quotes are a must read for any freethinker. These are some of my favorites, out of many. (Source: http://www.thinkexist.com/)

Wisdom begins in wonder.
True knowledge exists in knowing that you know nothing.
An unexamined life is not worth living.
Think not those faithful who praise all thy words and actions; but those who kindly reprove thy faults.
Let him that would move the world, first move himself.
I cannot teach anybody anything, I can only make them think.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.
Nothing is to be preferred before justice.

Any opinions on these quotes?

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Re: The Words of Socrates

Post #2

Post by Furrowed Brow »

LogicPrevails wrote:Socrates is an inspiration to all skeptics, analysts, and anyone who considers themselves a philosopher of sorts. His quotes are a must read for any freethinker. These are some of my favorites, out of many. (Source: http://www.thinkexist.com/)

Wisdom begins in wonder.
Think not those faithful who praise all thy words and actions; but those who kindly reprove thy faults.
Employ your time in improving yourself by other men's writings, so that you shall gain easily what others have labored hard for.

I think each is worth having framed on my wall except the last. "nothing is to be preferred before justice". I think justice is a leaky concept, with no fixed universal pivot. I don't have room on my wall for everything that "justice" might mean.

ShadowRishi
Apprentice

Re: The Words of Socrates

Post #3

Post by ShadowRishi »

LogicPrevails wrote:Socrates is an inspiration to all skeptics, analysts, and anyone who considers themselves a philosopher of sorts. His quotes are a must read for any freethinker. These are some of my favorites, out of many. (Source: http://www.thinkexist.com/)

Wisdom begins in wonder.

Those are really, really cool quotes. I'm going to have to go buy some Socrates books. =P

Thanks for the great find!