Death of Humanity

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

WhiteOrbit

Death of Humanity

Post #1

Post by WhiteOrbit »

Before I introduce the question for debate I would like to cover a few points:

-Man is naturally corrupt (sinful, in the eyes of Christians). Everyday there are murders, rape, etc. In addition, the whole idea of laws/commandments implies that Man is capable and possibly willing to commit sins.
-This corruption is recurring; every generation has "sinners"

Suicide hotline operators say that suicide is "A permanent solution to a temporary problem."

Thus,
If human corruption is a recurring problem throughout history, and in the future, would it necessarily be bad thing if all humanity died?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Death of Humanity

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

WhiteOrbit wrote:would it necessarily be bad thing if all humanity died?
Bad for whom?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

WhiteOrbit

Post #3

Post by WhiteOrbit »

A bad thing in general; most people associate death as bad :roll: in other words,
Why would the world be sad/angry if they were to learn that all of humanity were to be dead?

pwsoldier
Student

Post #4

Post by pwsoldier »

WhiteOrbit wrote:A bad thing in general; most people associate death as bad :roll: in other words,
Why would the world be sad/angry if they were to learn that all of humanity were to be dead?
That's a very confusing question because technically, there wouldn't be anything left to be consciously saddened by our absence if humanity died off.

As for the original question, it's difficult to answer as worded because it assumes the existence of things like sin. Human nature is certainly corrupt, but that's not the same as being hopelessly sinful. The practicality of our existence is determined by our ability to live in harmony with our environment and with each other. By that standard, the argument can be made that we should be eliminated as a species. So to answer your question in very blunt and general terms, no, it wouldn't be a bad thing if humanity died off. The planet would most likely be better off without us on it.

If there's an additional element to the question that I'm missing, please point it out as I still don't completely understand what you're asking.