Is Trinity Doctrine Scriptural?

Argue for and against Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

hiramabbi2
Apprentice

Is Trinity Doctrine Scriptural?

Post #1

Post by hiramabbi2 »

I don't believe trinity doctrine is supported by the Scripture!

I believe it is one of the so many products of Satan's Masterful Deception -inculcated in the minds of Christians since time immemorial - to take away the glory of of our Lord YHWH, the Son of the Invisible God Father.

Who do you consider as the Almigthy God Father? Why?

Who do you consider as the Son? Why?

BRIEFLY, please provide Scriptural support why you believe in trinity doctrine for our open discussion.

sofyst
Student

Post #51

Post by sofyst »

Who was it that said I believe so that I may understand? I think it was Augustine was it not?

Dilettante
Sage

Post #52

Post by Dilettante »

Yes, it was Augustine who wrote "Credo ut intelligam". However, what does that mean? If you truly understand something, you should be able to explain it in plain language, shouldn't you? I have never met anyone who could explain the trinitarian concept with any clarity. Maybe no one has enough faith to understand it!

Besides, if you could have a mystical vision of the Trinity you would probably belive, but not necessarily understand. For one thing, you would not be worried about understanding anything any more! You would just have the "knowledge" from a mystical experience, if such a thing exists.

In short, I don't see how that works. I can see how understanding would lead to belief, but not how belief would lead to understanding.

sofyst
Student

Post #53

Post by sofyst »

I do not think he was necessarily saying that your belief leads to understanding, or even your understanding leads to your belief. I think that he understood that sometimes we must simply believe without understanding, knowing that the understanding may or may not come later. Yet the faith is all that really matters. We believe such things as the Trinity, the hypostic-union or incarnation and God's eternality because they are Scripturally supported. We have faith that these are true. We recognize nonetheless that we may or may not be given the understanding towards these things...at least not in this lifetime.

The Happy Humanist
Site Supporter

Post #54

Post by The Happy Humanist »

I'm coming into this a bit late, but I started to ask about the Trinity in another thread. Now, theology is not my long suit, but apparently I'm not alone in my confusion about this concept. Apparently no one understands it, and they just consign it to the "mystery pile." "Who are we to understand the mind of God?" Obviously this is a blatant cop-out, however, for how can one decide to follow God if He is incomprehensible?

In that other topic I raised the issue of Matthew 24:36, referring to the time of the Second Coming...
36“No one knows about that day or hour, not even the angels in heaven, nor the Son,[a] but only the Father.

Footnotes:

Matthew 24:36 Some manuscripts do not have nor the Son.
(Oh, yeah, by the way, notice the attempted cover-up...interesting!)

Now can someone please explain to me, how can two people, God and Jesus, be one and the same person, if one doesn't know what the other's thinking?
Jim, the Happy Humanist!
===
Any sufficiently advanced worldview will be indistinguishable from sheer arrogance --The Happy Humanist (with apologies to Arthur C. Clarke)

Dilettante
Sage

Post #55

Post by Dilettante »

Happy Humanist wrote:
Now can someone please explain to me, how can two people, God and Jesus, be one and the same person, if one doesn't know what the other's thinking?
But they are not one and the same person! God is said to be one substance, but three different persons. That's why the Trinity is incomprehensible. If God was one and the same person with Jesus, it wouldn't be so hard. It would be rather like Clark Kent and Superman.

Dilettante
Sage

Post #56

Post by Dilettante »

sofyst wrote:
We recognize nonetheless that we may or may not be given the understanding towards these things...at least not in this lifetime.
Since I cannot force myself to believe something, I guess God may or may not give us faith in this lifetime...