Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Atheism's Lack of Morality.

Post #1

Post by Furrowed Brow »

From What Evidence would convince you?
Good Will wrote: Atheism relieves man of the burden of moral accountability. It affords him the luxury of doing whatever-the-hell-he-wants because, in the end, there is no unequivocal, absolute moral authority for anything, right or wrong. Certainly moral structures can exist in the absence of theology. But which moral structures? Yours? Or mine? Or the ones that enabled Hitler to do all he did?
Not a new criticism of atheistic morality. :yawn: So,
  • 1/ please describe the moral characteristics common to Christians or theists in general that are superior to those exhibited by atheists.
    2/ please provide names and number of amoral/immoral actions that are a consequence of denying there is a god/unbelief.

alexdocherty
Student

Post #2

Post by alexdocherty »

Please may I just ask whether you think it's immoral to kill thousands of women on the assumption that they're witches? Because God said so?
Atheists probably believe they have a moral high-ground because Christians did actually used to hunt them down and kill them for not believing in their God. May I ask you if you think that's moral?
How do you know that society would be 'out of control' if religion had never started? Maybe we would have a found a way to civilise ourselves without worshipping a book or a deity.

Just some thoughts.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Furrowed Brow »

Well as an atheist I'm not impressed by any murdering done in the name of any god.

OnceConvinced
Savant

Post #4

Post by OnceConvinced »

The comments there made by Good Will are typical of the bigotry that is taught regarding athiests in the church. Having been brought up in the church my parents and my Sunday school teachers always portrayed Athiests as evil, satanic people. I knew no better. To me the word "Athiest" was up there beside "Satanist".

Of course, in reality they aren't evil and just like with any group of people there are the good and the bad amongst them.

Society and its morals evolve and will continue to evolve. The bible however remains the same and just requires more and more apologetics and claims of "metaphors" and "symbolism" to justify it.

Prayer is like rubbing an old bottle and hoping that a genie will pop out and grant you three wishes.

There is much about this world that is mind boggling and impressive, but I see no need whatsoever to put it down to magical super powered beings.

Check out my website: Recker's World

Confused
Site Supporter

Re: ...

Post #5

Post by Confused »

alexdocherty wrote:Please may I just ask whether you think it's immoral to kill thousands of women on the assumption that they're witches? Because God said so?
Atheists probably believe they have a moral high-ground because Christians did actually used to hunt them down and kill them for not believing in their God. May I ask you if you think that's moral?
How do you know that society would be 'out of control' if religion had never started? Maybe we would have a found a way to civilise ourselves without worshipping a book or a deity.

Just some thoughts.
Under what circumstances would you say that atheists believe they have a moral high ground? Do you contend that atheists think they have a higher level of morality than theists or vice versa?

Morality should be independent of a label you carry. In other words, a label can't say you are moral or immoral. Nor can any ancient scripture.
What we do for ourselves dies with us,
What we do for others and the world remains
and is immortal.

-Albert Pine
Never be bullied into silence.
Never allow yourself to be made a victim.
Accept no one persons definition of your life; define yourself.

-Harvey Fierstein

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Atheism's Lack of Morality.

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

1. please describe the moral characteristics common to Christians or theists in general that are superior to those exhibited by atheists.

Theists worship their god. As any objective analysis shows this is the highest moral obligation.
  2. please provide names and number of amoral/immoral actions that are a consequence of denying there is a god/unbelief.

Sorry, I have no numbers. Homosexuality. Without a belief in God, non-theists just cannot see the obvious fact that accepting same-sex couples love for each other is morally reprehensible; it will curve your spine, make you blind, infect your soul and lose the war for the allies.

No, we worry about inconsequential things like helping the environment so that future generations of humans will be able to thrive on this planet, when everyone knows that the rapture will be soon (all of the signs are plainly evident and have been for years, decades, centuries even) and it will not matter.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

alexdocherty
Student

Re: ...

Post #7

Post by alexdocherty »

Confused wrote:
alexdocherty wrote:Please may I just ask whether you think it's immoral to kill thousands of women on the assumption that they're witches? Because God said so?

Just some thoughts.
Under what circumstances would you say that atheists believe they have a moral high ground? Do you contend that atheists think they have a higher level of morality than theists or vice versa?

Morality should be independent of a label you carry. In other words, a label can't say you are moral or immoral. Nor can any ancient scripture.
I didn't imply that all Atheists think they have a moral high-ground, I just alluded to those who did and why they might.