Da Vinci Code

Post #1

Post by jjg »

How did film affect you?

Fallibleone
Guru

Post #11

Post by Fallibleone »

I'm a book addict. I only have two types of book I will not read - romances and Westerns - so I've read it. My thoughts, for what they're worth, are that it is nothing at all special and you could certainly spend your hard-earned cash on something more worthwhile, if worthwhile is what you're after. If you're after a piece of throw-away fiction which is not in the least bit taxing and wastes a few hours then it'll certainly get the job done. The film - ditto. Despite being horribly biased about anything with my friend Sir Ian in it, I have to say that I was not impressed. Tom Hanks irritates me beyond endurance anyway.
''''What I am is good enough if I can only be it openly.''''

''''The man said "why you think you here?" I said "I got no idea".''''

''''Je viens comme un chat
Par la nuit si noire.
Tu attends, et je tombe
Dans tes ailes blanches,
Et je vole,
Et je coule
Comme une plume.''''

Jester
Prodigy

Post #12

Post by Jester »

Furrowed Brow wrote:Have not read the book. Did watch the movie for first time on DVD the other night. Completely under whelmed by it. Not a good movie for Tom Hanks, and the worst movie directed by Ron Howard I've watched. On average I read about one novel a year - usually when on holiday - I'll not be getting the book in any rush.
I actually am in the opposite position. Read the book, then didn't bother with the movie after learning how badly written it was. That was a real dissapointment, given all the hype. As much as Dan Brown managed to get the church to do a lot of free advertising for him - it seems that all this was simply to distract from the fact that his writing isn't any good.
We must continually ask ourselves whether victory has become more central to our goals than truth.

Ayah5768
Student

Re: Da Vinci Code

Post #13

Post by Ayah5768 »

jjg wrote:How did film affect you?
It raised my blood pressure quite a bit because I was hoping it wouldn't join the ranks of the many, many movies that should be ashamed to carry the same name as the book... it did. Very upsetting.

I would also like to add that I read the book without being aware of the "hype" and I think that changes the way you feel about the book. I thought it was good. People who heard a lot about it before they read it didn't like it. It's like when someone spends so much time telling you how great a movie is and when you see it it just doesn't live up.

That being said, because I liked The Da Vinci Code I bought a few of his other books. They were basically the same book... even down to the bad guy being handicapped. Dan Brown only seems to have 1 idea. The one you read first is enjoyable, but then don't buy another one of his books. Near as I can tell, if you've read one you've read them all.