Renunciation Excomunication Apostasy Sacraments?

Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Jura
Student

Renunciation Excomunication Apostasy Sacraments?

Post #1

Post by Jura »

this is realy a "how to" thread

how can one, trough concious action and necesary birocracy, achive that one can claim, in truth and sincerity, "i am not christian"
for instance how would one go about getting officially excomunicated?
i understand in the Catholic church it is a bit of paperwork, and they are reluctant to let people go, but it can be done, theres a birocratic process, i think you send a letter to the papal office, and sing some papers or something similar
but im not sure

still the excomunicated, at least in the Catholic denomination, are considered christian, and can even attend mass, but cannot recieve sacraments
in other words excomunication works for denominations but it still leaves one within a certain religion, since the excomunicated is still counted as baptised into christianity, no?

so apostasy comes to mind, as a more complete removal of ones person from a given religion
but how does apostasy work, in order to be official
does it involve public rejection of faith, is there a protocol? what does it intale?
and does apostasy nullify the sacraments?
more practically is an apostate still counted as baptised or is the baptism revoked?
if his baptism and other sacraments are now made void, is it considered he or she is now again a person with original sin?

if not how can a sacrament be anulled? is there a denomination that belives baptism can be revoked, so that one can declare apostasy from one denomination into that one, re-baptise, and then reject that faith also, thus anulling both baptisms and returning to a "neutral" state without religion

remember the idea is to get back into the "spiritual" state of a new born baby, without belonging to a religion or faith of anny kind, having all subsequent sacraments and similar mistical or religious rituals nullifyed and all links to any form of belife system or conection or relationship to hypotetical devine beings made anulled and similar contracts void

Jura
Student

Post #11

Post by Jura »

McCulloch wrote:I'm not sure what you are looking for. Do you want a way to convince yourself that you are no longer a Christian? Do you want a way to convince them not to count you in their internal statistics? Do you want a formal document approved by them acknowledging that you are no longer a Christian? what? why?
im realy looking for an interesting debate on a theological question that i find interesting

but also it is a question of personal principles in some way
as melodious sayd it would be great not to get involved in the first place, but see catholics baptise infants so there was no real choice on my part
i havent been to any kind of service or anithing such like in .... idono... 10 or 12 years
still for some personal reasons i would like to have an formal recognition not of being an atheist, wich is not questionable, but of not being christian
you might say it is a political thing
also i have this fascination with absence of baptism, my grandad was a fervent comunist, so there are several people in my fathers family who have never been baptised or recieved any religious education whatsoever, i belive my father included, but im not sure
also being a croat i see christianity as something imposed on my people, even if it hapened centuries ago and is now part of national identity
that might be another reason for it

realy it comes down to a question of personal principles and political belief
somehow i feel it would give me a wierd kind of personal satisfaction to know i am formally not regarded by any authority religious or secular as a member of the christian faith

byofrcs

Post #12

Post by byofrcs »

joeyknuccione wrote:Could a church be held to some kind of law for keeping someone listed under their religion when that person has asked to be removed?

Is it dishonest of a church to 'pad the rolls'?
The NSS link I posted mentioned how the Italians use the data protection laws to make sure the details are updated.

From here...

"UAAR (Union of Atheists, Agnostics and Rationalists) have thought out a way to de-baptize our no-more-religious people. I'm happy to say that already a few thousand have done it!

We actually forced the churches (Catholic in particular, as the mainstream religion here) to accept our requests, by way of the Italian privacy law. The church simply has to accomplish the request, otherwise they would be subject to legal issues!"

Now the Italian data protection laws are in effect the EU data protection laws so this means that this method should apply to all EU countries. Under EU data protection laws the data held about you have to by law be correct. Obviously if you see yourself as not an 'x' they you have every right to be removed from any data register that lists you as 'x'. Parish rolls see to be such data registers.

The rights are for example, the right of access to data, the right to withhold permission to use data, the right to have inaccurate data rectified, and the right of recourse in the event of unlawful processing of data.

Sounds good.