Can god change the laws of physics?

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

QED
Prodigy

Can god change the laws of physics?

Post #1

Post by QED »

Scottie couldn't to save the Starship Enterprise, but could god change the laws of physics to save the writings of the Old Testament? For example for god to have created rainbows after the flood, he would have to have made sweeping changes to Quantum Electrodynamics at that time. It would not have been a case of tweaking some property of photons in isolation - as messenger particles between electrons, any change in property would totally transform chemistry, hence biology and so on. Infact any changes like this to the finely-tuned parameters of the cosmos would render the universe as a whole unviable.

So how can the answer be yes - god can do anything he chooses, when the change would have unavoidable and impossible consequences?

otseng
Savant

Re: rainbow

Post #11

Post by otseng »

QED wrote:
otseng wrote: As to the exact nature of the environment prior to the flood, I do not know. But, it's pretty clear to me from reading the Bible that it only started to rain on the earth during the flood and not before.
And this you believe to be true? Is the suggestion then that the laws if physics were such that the sun didn't evaporate the waters of the oceans -- there was a sun and that there were oceans right?
As to if there were oceans before the flood, I actually doubt it. There were seas, but there was not the oceans as we know them today. There's more about the pre-flood environment in the Global Flood thread.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by ST88 »

Dilettante wrote:What if God somehow is the laws of physics? Maybe Spinoza had it right and God and Nature are identical. Could God change God then?
If so, how could a distinction be made between natural laws and God that would allow any idea of God to make any sense? Astrophysicists are the chosen ones?