A Trip Back To High School!

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

bigmrpig
Student

A Trip Back To High School!

Post #1

Post by bigmrpig »

If you're not in high school, let's say you are. I know you're not supposed to assume positions in the ethical dilemmas, but I don't think anyone will complain about this one ;).

You're girlfriend/boyfriend of two months (it is only high school, after all) studies on weekends with another of your gender. You never suspected anything would go on, you trust your significant other, and although you don't know the study buddy well, he/she seems like a fairly trustworthy person.

You come into school one day and have to talk to a teacher before school starts. Your significant other doesn't know your change of route today, and happens to be just two doors down as you walk out of the room. You see him/her give her studdy buddy a less than quick peck, but still on the cheek. (S)he proceeds to rush to class, in the opposite direction.

You're thinking about what to do all of your first class, as you'll see him/her in your 10 minute break afterwards.

What do you decide to do? Why?

a. Ignore it. It was just a peck.
b. Calmly ask him/her about it.
c. Tell him/her you saw them, and break up softly.
d. Take the agressive approach, go up to your significant other and tell them it's over, plain and simple.
e. Request an explanation in a firm tone of voice.
f. Ignore them until you can try to figure out what's going on.
g. Anything else?

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by ST88 »

I'll answer two ways, I guess. First, as I was in high school, some years ago. I can't say something like this happened to me in high school. But if it had, I probably would have just let it go and put it out of my mind, which would have been a lot easier for me when I was 16. If the relationship survives, so be it. If it starts on a downward spiral towards oblivion, then that's OK too. Keep in mind that I was kind of a geek in high school (hard to imagine, I know).

I'm trying to picture that now in my mind, and I remember another girl giving me a peck on the cheek when I helped her with her homework, and it really meant nothing (looking back, of course). So I can imagine that this might be the case.

Second, I can answer as I am now but pushed somehow back into high school. I say life's too short to monkey around with a relationship that might be going nowhere but down, so I would probably confront her more pointedly than I would if I were actually 16. What I recognize now is that high school is a full-immersion learning experience for real life. So time wasted is experience lost. I think the relationships you make after high school is over are much more important. Your life really is affected by a series of choices that you make, such as where to live, which college to go to, what job to take. K-12 schooling is largely out of your control.

But it still probably meant nothing.

Moonchild
Student

Post #3

Post by Moonchild »

I'd kick the study buddy's ass, and then not mention it to my boyfriend.

No, just kidding.

I probably wouldn't say anything unless circumstances in the future made it seem more than it would have if that was all I knew about.

youngborean
Sage

Post #4

Post by youngborean »

I would say something about it calmly at first. If they don't care that it bothered me or if they denied it, then I would get out of the relationship. A sign of an unhealthy relationship is the inablity to recognize and help a partner cope with there insecurities. If a partner does not want to reconcile hurt feelings, then there is reason to be insecure. I do have to say, where there is smoke, there is usually fire.

Scottey

Post #5

Post by Scottey »

G. I would pray for a while and ask God for strength/guidance. After that I would probably question her gently and tell her how we are not going to work out...

However this would never happen to me because I believe dating in highschool is almost always biblically wrong. Besides I wouldn't go out with a girl with those kind of morale standards. Purity is good. and God calls us to have "not even a hint of sexual immorality."

God Bless,
Scottey J

Vladd44
Sage

Post #6

Post by Vladd44 »

Scottey wrote:However this would never happen to me because I believe dating in highschool is almost always biblically wrong. Besides I wouldn't go out with a girl with those kind of morale standards. Purity is good. and God calls us to have "not even a hint of sexual immorality."
And miss out on the best fringe benefit I can recall of High School? Quit reading the doctrine of paul.
When I was a child, I spake as a child, I understood as a child, I thought as a child: but when I became a man, I put away childish things.[GOD] ‑ 1 Cor 13:11
WinMX, BitTorrent and other p2p issues go to http://vladd44.com