Exploring the details of Christianity

Moderator: Moderators

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Bible version preference

Post #1

Post by Ooberman »

I asked someone which Bible they prefer and he said the KJV (which is very popular of course). However, the KJV is very dense, archaic language and I just wonder if people really enjoy it, or feel they should enjoy it. Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying that someone can't like the dense language, but it is quite hard to get through.

For example:

From KJV
Matthew 6

1Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.

2Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

3But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth:

4That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.

5And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward.

6But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly.

7But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking.

8Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him.
from the Message:
Matthew 6
The World Is Not a Stage
1 "Be especially careful when you are trying to be good so that you don't make a performance out of it. It might be good theater, but the God who made you won't be applauding. 2-4"When you do something for someone else, don't call attention to yourself. You've seen them in action, I'm sure—'playactors' I call them— treating prayer meeting and street corner alike as a stage, acting compassionate as long as someone is watching, playing to the crowds. They get applause, true, but that's all they get. When you help someone out, don't think about how it looks. Just do it—quietly and unobtrusively. That is the way your God, who conceived you in love, working behind the scenes, helps you out.
Pray with Simplicity
5"And when you come before God, don't turn that into a theatrical production either. All these people making a regular show out of their prayers, hoping for stardom! Do you think God sits in a box seat?

6"Here's what I want you to do: Find a quiet, secluded place so you won't be tempted to role-play before God. Just be there as simply and honestly as you can manage. The focus will shift from you to God, and you will begin to sense his grace.

7-13"The world is full of so-called prayer warriors who are prayer-ignorant. They're full of formulas and programs and advice, peddling techniques for getting what you want from God. Don't fall for that nonsense. This is your Father you are dealing with, and he knows better than you what you need. With a God like this loving you, you can pray very simply. Like this:

from the NIV:
Matthew 6
Giving to the Needy
1"Be careful not to do your 'acts of righteousness' before men, to be seen by them. If you do, you will have no reward from your Father in heaven.

2"So when you give to the needy, do not announce it with trumpets, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and on the streets, to be honored by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 3But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing, 4so that your giving may be in secret. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you.
Prayer
5"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. 6But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. 7And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. 8Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.
From the NASB:
Matthew 6
Giving to the Poor and Prayer
1"Beware of practicing your righteousness before men (A)to be noticed by them; otherwise you have no reward with your Father who is in heaven.

2"So when you give to the poor, do not sound a trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, so that they (B)may be honored by men (C)Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

3"But when you give to the poor, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,

4so that your giving will be in secret; and (D)your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

5"When you pray, you are not to be like the hypocrites; for they love to (E)stand and pray in the synagogues and on the street corners (F)so that they may be seen by men (G)Truly I say to you, they have their reward in full.

6"But you, when you pray, (H)go into your inner room, close your door and pray to your Father who is in secret, and (I)your Father who sees what is done in secret will reward you.

7"And when you are praying, do not use meaningless repetition as the Gentiles do, for they suppose that they will be heard for their (J)many words.

8"So do not be like them; for (K)your Father knows what you need before you ask Him.

An item of interest:
One odd aspect of the King James Version's style was originally due to grammatical uncertainty. At the time William Tyndale made his Bible translation, there was uncertainty in Early Modern English as to whether the older pronoun his or the neologism its was the proper genitive case of the third person singular pronoun it. Tyndale dodged the difficulty by using phrases such as the blood thereof rather than choosing between his blood or its blood. By the time the King James translators wrote, usage had settled on its, but Tyndale's style was familiar and considered a part of an appropriately Biblical style, and they chose to retain the old wording.

I prefer the easier reading of the NASB or NIV, but I will often compare on BibleGateway to try to understand the passage better, since a single reading is never good because of the difficulty of translation.

Just wondering which Bible version people prefer and why?

malachi4
Student

Post #2

Post by malachi4 »

The kjv is the closest to the original for me
with the new mordern easy reading stuff they make the bible tell it the way they understand it.

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by Goat »

malachi4 wrote:The kjv is the closest to the original for me
with the new mordern easy reading stuff they make the bible tell it the way they understand it.
And how do you know that the KJV is the closest to the original? Many experts in Greek and Hebrew think it is one of the worse translations.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

Is this a debate or a discussion?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

malachi4
Student

Post #5

Post by malachi4 »

i would say its because its one of the first :confused2:
and the bible is one big puzzle where everything must fit into each other
and with the kjv it just does that
with the new ones it isn't so

this is just my 2c hey :lol:

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Goat »

malachi4 wrote:i would say its because its one of the first :confused2:
and the bible is one big puzzle where everything must fit into each other
and with the kjv it just does that
with the new ones it isn't so

this is just my 2c hey :lol:
Does it really fit, or is it just the first one in the vernacular English of the day?

It doesn't do any good to have something appear to fit if you shove round pegs into square holes.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

malachi4
Student

Post #7

Post by malachi4 »

for me it doesn't just fit
but is a perfect fit
Like i said all the new ones have allot of private interpretation's on it which makes it very dodgy
if you done with your puzzle you will find that your cow is got a tale for a tongue and tongue for a tale

But in the age that we live in the bible said that
we will be naked and blind and the worst of all we wont know it :roll:

Ooberman
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Ooberman »

This site is a great place to see the Bible, the historical background, etc in pretty pictures. It's a great aid when trying to figure out what was happening back then.

http://www.biblediagrams.com/diagrams/i ... tament.htm

cnorman18

Re: Bible version preference

Post #9

Post by cnorman18 »

Good OP. You can see the graceful, but archaic King's English of the KJV, and it's pretty clear that the Message is a paraphrase and not a translation at all. NASB strives to be as literal as possible, while NIV tries to be accurate but not grate on the ear.

I was always fond of the New English Bible and the Jerusalem Bible, too. The latter is a Catholic Bible, and the translation is sometimes skewed for that reason, but the poetry passages are beautifully done (and, if memory serves, more of the Bible is typeset as poetry in that version than in any other).

Today I use various Jewish Bibles, mostly the JPS Study Bible and the Schocken Bible (the Fox translation).

After you've worked with the Bible for some years, you get a sense of the different versions and know which one to go to for different purposes. All of the translations are pretty trustworthy where the ideas are concerned; it's often just a matter of what expression of those ideas one finds most appealing or what aspect of them one wants to clarify. The NIV has the advantage of not favoring British, American, Canadian, New Zealand or Australian English, but being intelligible and clear to all of them (hence its name).

The paraphrases can be useful for explaining and understanding difficult passages, but they should never be trusted for the literal meaning of the Greek or Hebrew text. They often include personal interpretation, and can even change a particular application to a general one and vice versa, with or without any justification from the text, and can vary wildly from the original.

KJV is a baseline, the most popular English translation and an icon of Classical English; but it is outdated in several senses. The English language has changed a great deal in the last four hundred years; much more is known about the history and culture of the Biblical world than in 1611; and many more, and much older, manuscripts have been discovered since then which give us a more reliable version of the text in the original languages.