eastern religions or thoughts.

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Mydian
Apprentice

eastern religions or thoughts.

Post #1

Post by Mydian »

It would seem that some of the ideas presented in the bible and ascribed to "God" were also created by man. This would seem to suggest that why would we need god to tell us what to do if man can come up with the same ideas?

i really have no idea if i am going down the right track or not here. But it would seem that the Buddha had some of the same ideas as christianity. And i dont believe he ever said he was the son of god or even implied that he was anything more than a man. But my knowledge is limited here. So if i am wrong please let me know :).

i would also be interested in anyones thoughts on this. Am I reading to much into eastern philosophy?

Thank you in advance. :)

bernee51
Site Supporter

Re: eastern religions or thoughts.

Post #2

Post by bernee51 »

Mydian wrote:It would seem that some of the ideas presented in the bible and ascribed to "God" were also created by man. This would seem to suggest that why would we need god to tell us what to do if man can come up with the same ideas?

i really have no idea if i am going down the right track or not here. But it would seem that the Buddha had some of the same ideas as christianity. And i dont believe he ever said he was the son of god or even implied that he was anything more than a man. But my knowledge is limited here. So if i am wrong please let me know :).

i would also be interested in anyones thoughts on this. Am I reading to much into eastern philosophy?

Thank you in advance. :)
Not only did the Buddha not claim to be god or the son of god it is often and I believe correctly asserted that he did not subscribe to the notion of a personal god at all.

Are any of these aspirations redolent of Christian thought?

About Buddhism

The greatest achievement is selflessness.
The greatest worth is self-mastery.
The greatest quality is seeking to serve others.
The greatest precept is continual awareness.
The greatest medicine is the emptiness of everything.
The greatest action is not conforming with the worlds ways.
The greatest magic is transmuting the passions.
The greatest generosity is non-attachment.
The greatest goodness is a peaceful mind.
The greatest patience is humility.
The greatest effort is not concerned with results.
The greatest meditation is a mind that lets go.
The greatest wisdom is seeing through appearances.

Atisha (11th century Tibetan Buddhist master)

Buddhism has some fundamental ‘truths’ and ‘paths’. The ‘paths’ in particular could be seen, when examined’ to have some commonalities with what are claimed to be the words of Jesus.

The Four Noble Truths

1. Life means suffering.

2. The origin of suffering is attachment.

3. The cessation of suffering is attainable.

4. The path to the cessation of suffering.

The Noble Eightfold Path

1. Right View
2. Right Intention
3. Right Speech
4. Right Action
5. Right Livelihood
6. Right Effort
7. Right Mindfulness
8. Right Concentration

The first two deal with Wisdom, the next three, Ethical Conduct and the last three, Mental Development.

In the Buddhist sense ‘right’ refers to action that is mindfully aware of the happiness and well being of all.
"Whatever you are totally ignorant of, assert to be the explanation of everything else"

William James quoting Dr. Hodgson

"When I see I am nothing, that is wisdom. When I see I am everything, that is love. My life is a movement between these two."

Nisargadatta Maharaj

Mydian
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by Mydian »

thanks bernee51 :)