To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

In the beginning ...

Post #1

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

But "the beginning" of what?

I find it interesting that the opening lines of Genesis are typically rendered differently in Judaic and Christian scripture. The result, at the very least, is to leave creation ex nihilo as an open question so far as the Torah is concerned.

Any thoughts?

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #11

By the way, The Death of Death: Resurrection and Immortality in Jewish Thought is a wonderful book on the topic for those interested.

Lioba
Student

Post #12

Post by Lioba »

Jayhawker Soule: I fonud the problem of the misunderstanding- when I said heathen, I didn´t refer to religious aspects but to the philosophers.
So what I wanted to express is that the ideas of the School of Athens and its predecessors entered Judaisme and Christianity- I think for Judaisme it was Philo.
In Christianity the idea of "ex nihilo" was preferred. The discussion returned for us later, when Christian scholarship embraced Aristotelisme. The discussion was clearly on a philosophical level and partly theologically with groups inside Christianity, as you already mentioned.
I want to apologize for my imperfect English.

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #13

There is certainly no need to apologize. I appreciate your input.

I suspect that the English term more commonly employed wold be "Pagan."

L'shalom

Lioba
Student

Post #14

Post by Lioba »

:) Thank you and I´m looking forward what the discussion might bring forth.

RightKnowledge999
Banned
Banned

The True Story Of Genesis To The Enosite ~ Torah 1

Post #15

Post by RightKnowledge999 »

Removed by moderator.

Jrosemary
Sage

Post #16

Post by Jrosemary »

RighteousKnowledge999, the purpose of this sub-forum is to discuss Judaism; it also assumes the ongoing validity of Judaism. If you want to talk about Serpent People, please find a more appropriate place on the forum.

Meanwhile, as moderator of this forum, I'm deleting your post, which seems to have been cut and pasted from a banned member of this site: http://forum.concen.org/showthread.php?tid=26719&page=3.

I will delete any other off-topic posts from you in this sub-forum without warning.

RightKnowledge999
Banned
Banned

RighteousKnowledge999

Post #17

Post by RightKnowledge999 »

Jrosemary wrote:RighteousKnowledge999, the purpose of this sub-forum is to discuss Judaism; it also assumes the ongoing validity of Judaism. If you want to talk about Serpent People, please find a more appropriate place on the forum.

Meanwhile, as moderator of this forum, I'm deleting your post, which seems to have been cut and pasted from a banned member of this site: http://forum.concen.org/showthread.php?tid=26719&page=3.

I will delete any other off-topic posts from you in this sub-forum without warning.

Believe It Or Not I Have Never Been To That Site , If I Had I Would Own Up To It . But I Got Your Point .