Are there just atheists here?

Chat viewable by general public

Moderator: Moderators

QuantumSoul

Are there just atheists here?

Post #1

Post by QuantumSoul »

If so, that would make this place pretty damn boring.

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #11

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

McCulloch wrote:
thunderfbolt wrote:Need more Christians.
Yes, you can do your part in recruiting them. We have had many Christians here, but they don't stay long. Many of them seem not to like to debate where they are held to a fair standard of evidence. I am not sure what we can do to keep them here longer other than to become worse debaters. :confused2:
I'm back. I have had a four day long hospital stay, and so I hope to attempt to get caught up soon.

I agree we need more Christians. Its fairly impossible to debate five or six people at once which forces me to have 5 or 6x the number of replies I must generate compared to one that the christian basher must generate. Add to that many of the unbelievers think they can arbitrarily set the standards of what is evidence and what is not etc and its easy to see why we need more Christians here.

Luckily we have forum rules of which I abide but of which some here seem to think only apply to Christians and not them. I am going to make sure that the playing field becomes level in the future.

p4jc

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by McCulloch »

Pastor4Jesus wrote:I'm back. I have had a four day long hospital stay, and so I hope to attempt to get caught up soon.
I hope that the treatment was successful.
Pastor4Jesus wrote:I agree we need more Christians. Its fairly impossible to debate five or six people at once which forces me to have 5 or 6x the number of replies I must generate compared to one that the christian basher must generate.
Agreed. The imbalance would make it difficult. It is unfortunate that we cannot find Christians willing to provide a reasoned defense of their world-view.
Pastor4Jesus wrote:Add to that many of the unbelievers think they can arbitrarily set the standards of what is evidence and what is not etc and its easy to see why we need more Christians here.
The standards of evidence was initially established by otseng, a Christian and validated by the moderating team, which consists of believers and non-believers.
Pastor4Jesus wrote:Luckily we have forum rules of which I abide but of which some here seem to think only apply to Christians and not them. I am going to make sure that the playing field becomes level in the future.
Thank you. The moderating team is entirely volunteer. Please use the report button and / or Private Messages to indicate when any debater, believer or not, has violated the rules. Your help in this matter is appreciated very much by the moderating team.

But remember, in debate as in science, the task is more difficult for someone who makes a claim than it is for those refuting a claim. C'est la vie or more aptly c'est la guerre!
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #13

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

But remember, in debate as in science, the task is more difficult for someone who makes a claim than it is for those refuting a claim. C'est la vie or more aptly c'est la guerre!
I agree with your post and I have been contact with an admin and a moderator to explain the situation. I have took personal steps to cut back on how many posts I answer or threads that I create. In addition when debating and we reach a (mutual agreement) of stalemate or win or lose I think there should be some way to lock out the agreeing members. This would prevent never ending circular debates.

p4jc

Biker

Re: Are there just atheists here?

Post #14

Post by Biker »

QuantumSoul wrote:If so, that would make this place pretty damn boring.
I don't claim to be "a christian". The designation was given by heathens to followers of Jesus Christ of Nazareth.
Presently it is a term that really has no meaning or has too broad a meaning to be of any value. In this forum skeptics claim Hitler and Stalin etc., were christian.
I prefer to be called: a) follower of Jesus b) member of the Body of Christ c)member of the ekklesia d) brother e) not late for supper.

Biker

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Re: Are there just atheists here?

Post #15

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Biker wrote:
QuantumSoul wrote:If so, that would make this place pretty damn boring.
I don't claim to be "a christian".
Then why the usergroup?

The goofy, it hurts.
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Biker

mostly atheist

Post #16

Post by Biker »

McCulloch wrote:It is unfortunate that we cannot find Christians willing to provide a reasoned defense of their world-view.
LOL. I guess that is one way to characterize a great big long leash is given to the heathen tribes, and a very short one to certain kinds of "christians", in hopes of trying to catch a fish. In addition under that designation of "christian", it really depends on if you fit in to a certain approved mold or special set of beliefs under that heading? If not, you get no leash at all just handcuffs and a different subjective set of personally interpreted special rules (read the Bible is a quaint ancient humorous tainted bunch of suggestions).
McCulloch wrote:...which consists of believers and non-believers.
Thats one opinion.
"believers" is a very loosely term now a days.
And the ratio of believers to non is quit skewered, not that I am complaining mind you. It makes it much more fun.
McCulloch wrote:Please use the report button and / or Private Messages to indicate when any debater, believer or not, has violated the rules.
Depending on your "believer" world-view how it reveals itself you may or may not be completely ignored! My report button must be broken because it don't work!
c'est la guerre, actually means grin and bear it, if you are in the wrong tribe of "believer"!

Biker

Biker

Post #17

Post by Biker »

Pastor4Jesus wrote:
McCulloch wrote:
Yes, you can do your part in recruiting them. We have had many Christians here, but they don't stay long. Many of them seem not to like to debate where they are held to a fair standard of evidence. I am not sure what we can do to keep them here longer other than to become worse debaters. :confused2:
I'm back. I have had a four day long hospital stay, and so I hope to attempt to get caught up soon.

I agree we need more Christians. Its fairly impossible to debate five or six people at once which forces me to have 5 or 6x the number of replies I must generate compared to one that the christian basher must generate. Add to that many of the unbelievers think they can arbitrarily set the standards of what is evidence and what is not etc and its easy to see why we need more Christians here.

Luckily we have forum rules of which I abide but of which some here seem to think only apply to Christians and not them. I am going to make sure that the playing field becomes level in the future.

p4jc
Glad you are back! Hope the hospital stay was productive and nothing but good for you. Welcome to the Forum by the by!

Biker

Biker

Post #18

Post by Biker »

McCulloch wrote:
where they are held to a fair standard of evidence.
LOL. I really get a charge out of your manner of characterizing the scenario.
"They" don't stay long because they don't like getting piled on by a bunch of humourless, angry, x-christians, who were to borrow a phrase from another thread, "swatted on the behind one to many times with the Bible when they were little", and are out to get even. It amazes one to observe the phenomenon of a site dominated by atheist/secular/humanist's trolling all day long every day arguing about a deity that they don't believe in, with a zeal normally reserved for Islamic Fundamentalist suicide bombers. Is that the standard of evidence you refer to?
other than to become worse debaters.
Long on style, no substance. If you haven't noticed, it is futile to keep propping up the failed, fallen, Greco/Roman rhetoric system. Believers are bored with it and don't place much credence in it.
I haven't left!

Biker

micatala
Site Supporter

Post #19

Post by micatala »

Pastor4Jesus wrote:
McCulloch wrote:

p4jc
I think the division of the forum into Christian and atheist is a little too simplistic. There are a lot of Christians on the forum. However, this does not mean that Christians do not sometimes end up on opposite sides of a debate.

I often end up taking positions at odds with both some of my fellow Christians as well as some of the atheists. It all depends on the topic.

According to forum statistics, there are 288 members of the Christian user group and 243 in the atheist user group. These are the top two groups.

Now, obviously many members do not join user groups but it seems pretty clear there are a lot of Christians here.

However, if you look at Posts by User group, the Christian group ranks 11th, and makes only 70% of the posts that atheists do. So, the Christians are a significant presence on the board, but they also make fewer posts per person than the atheists.
" . . . the line separating good and evil passes, not through states, nor between classes, nor between political parties either, but right through every human heart . . . ." Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Pastor4Jesus
Sage

Post #20

Post by Pastor4Jesus »

Biker wrote:Glad you are back! Hope the hospital stay was productive and nothing but good for you. Welcome to the Forum by the by!
I am a Veteran and sometimes the care is good sometimes not, thanks for your kind words. Hey I hope to be riding in a year or two again, and am searching for a motor etc as long as its a Buell (sportster) any big twin etc. Going to build from scratch and use it as part of my ministry.

p4jc
When Selfish Gene author Richard Dawkins challenged physicist John Barrow on his formulation of the constants of nature at last summer Templeton-Cambridge Journalism Fellowship lectures, Barrow laughed and said, “You have a problem with these ideas, Richard, because you aren''t really a scientist. You''re a biologist ! (Woo Hoo you go Barrow!)