Jimmy Carter asks for Jewish forgiveness.

To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Goat
Site Supporter

Jimmy Carter asks for Jewish forgiveness.

Post #1

Post by Goat »

One thing that had strongly disappointed me about Jimmy Carter was some of the statements he made against Israel that I thought were somewhat anti-Semitic, and
very polemical in his book on Palestine.

He recently asked for forgiveness from the U.S. Jews.

http://www.haaretz.com/hasen/spages/1136829.html

One of the Jewish traditions is to forgive those who ask forgiveness. Do you think that his statements are an honest apology?

I personally hope that this example is signaling a turn of what I have seen is the increasing antisemitism on the far left.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #2

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Not being a Jew, I can only speak from my perspective...

I think a man like Jimmy Carter, who can be shown to be quite compassionate, and a promoter of peace, deserves to be taken at face value for his apology. We all make mistakes, and by admitting them we show some measure of remorse.

I also think there is some level of 'apartheid' involved in Israel, but given their circumstances I can understand it. Just as I'd condemn this even small level of apartheid, I know that so many Israelites would love to live under conditions that make it unnecessary.

Stop killing the Israelites and they'll stop trying so hard to prevent you from killing them.

cnorman18

Jimmy Carter asks for Jewish forgiveness

Post #3

Post by cnorman18 »

I rather agree with Foxman; I'm glad, but let's see how he behaves in the future.

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #4

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

joeyknuccione wrote:... I think a man like Jimmy Carter, who can be shown to be quite compassionate, and a promoter of peace, deserves to be taken at face value for his apology.
I think that both apology and corresponding actions deserve to be taken at face value. Where has Carter reversed himself on a single anti-Israel position or characterization? Clearly he is sorry that his reputation among Jews may well be a burden on Jason Carter's campaigns for a senate seat to be vacated by David Adelman, and that is all that is clear so far. Let's see if he walks the talk ...

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #5

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Jayhawker Soule wrote:
joeyknuccione wrote:... I think a man like Jimmy Carter, who can be shown to be quite compassionate, and a promoter of peace, deserves to be taken at face value for his apology.
I think that both apology and corresponding actions deserve to be taken at face value. Where has Carter reversed himself on a single anti-Israel position or characterization? Clearly he is sorry that his reputation among Jews may well be a burden on Jason Carter's campaigns for a senate seat to be vacated by David Adelman, and that is all that is clear so far. Let's see if he walks the talk ...
Plenty fair. Not being such the follower of the critters involved, I was unaware there was an election to think about. I couldn't a blame a single Jew if they were sceptical.

arayhay
Sage

Post #6

Post by arayhay »

Jayhawker Soule wrote:

I'd say its a good start, but what does it lead to ? does Jimmy look at Israel and see a independent and inter-dependant friendly ally or a pawn for maneuvering to his own ends ? where does he come down on the settlement issue.

Did you see what made international news; their going to build an apartment building in Mexico City. It threatens to start world war three.

Oh, you didn't ? me either. but Israel wants to build some housing and their call out on the carpet for doing something wrong.

How far can public opinion tilt away from reason. And when will the nations realize/care that they are placing unreasonable expectation on a sovereign state in peril for its very existence far beyond those placed on other countries ?

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #7

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

arayhay wrote:Did you see what made international news; their going to build an apartment building in Mexico City. It threatens to start world war three.
Citation?

(BTW - for the record, I am very much against the West Bank settlement movement.)