A questions for Agnostics

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

scottlittlefield17
Site Supporter

A questions for Agnostics

Post #1

Post by scottlittlefield17 »

How is an Agnostic defined. I would define one as someone who says that there very well may be a God, they don't know. But if there is he takes little to no interest in the affairs of men. Is that a fair definition? I am not quoting anybody with that definition. That is just the impression I got and was wondering if it was accurate.
“Life is really simple as far as I’m concerned. There is no luck, you work hard and study things intently. If you do that for long and hard enough you’re successful.�
"The more well versed in a skill that someone is the luckier they seem to be."

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: A questions for Agnostics

Post #11

Post by McCulloch »

suckka wrote: Ditto (nicely done). Athiests get a bad rap, that's why some atheists are trying to come up with other words to describe ourselves. Humanist, non-theist, freethinker...I just use atheist or heathen depending on if I'm talking to my mother-in-law or my friends.
One reason so come up with a different word is that we don't really want to be defined by what we don't believe. I don't describe myself as an afairieist.
I like freethinker because it conveys the idea that we are not bound by any authoritative mind control or dogma. I also like humanist because it can have a positive spin. We are for humanity rather than being merely against god(s).
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #12

Post by BwhoUR »

Although I agree with your reasons for coming up with a more positive name, I think that the word "atheist" is positive. The fact is, that I call myself by several names depending on the subject: wife, mother, volunteer, music lover, independent, reader, nature-lover, treasure-hunter, etc. When it comes to religion/god, however, I'm an atheist, it's a beautiful word and it eludes to a real, beautiful, world-view. But, it's just my preference.

Ok, to be perfectly honest, there's passion and defiance in the word that I like too.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by McCulloch »

suckka wrote: Although I agree with your reasons for coming up with a more positive name, I think that the word "atheist" is positive. The fact is, that I call myself by several names depending on the subject: wife, mother, volunteer, music lover, independent, reader, nature-lover, treasure-hunter, etc. When it comes to religion/god, however, I'm an atheist, it's a beautiful word and it eludes to a real, beautiful, world-view. But, it's just my preference.

Ok, to be perfectly honest, there's passion and defiance in the word that I like too.
There certainly defiance in the word. We defy the assertions and claims of the many different theists out there. Whether it is a beautiful word is a matter of subjective opinion. However, I don't see how it eludes a real beautiful world-view. All it says is a-theist, not a theist. There are not god or gods, but it says nothing positive.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #14

Post by BwhoUR »

McCulloch wrote: However, I don't see how it eludes a real beautiful world-view. All it says is a-theist, not a theist. There are not god or gods, but it says nothing positive.
I would have to agree that the actual definition of the word does not elude to anything other than there are no god or gods. It is only my opinion of the word that I refer to. It is because of the word's history, because it is the only word that described people that have paved the way for the rest of us to be 'freethinkers' and 'humanists' that I wear it like a badge of honor. I want to be associated with those courageous individuals. But words matter, maybe beautiful is too happy a word.