Is there a universally condemnable sin?

Ethics, Morality, and Sin

Moderator: Moderators

sin_is_fun
Sage

Is there a universally condemnable sin?

Post #1

Post by sin_is_fun »

I was wondering whether we have some sin which is condemned by every society and culture in the world.I couldnt think of any.

1.Murder:
No.Mercy killing is legal in many countries,war is permitted,war heroes are hailed.

2.Rape:
No.One major religion allows having sex with slaves.In many cultures carrying away a woman and marrying her is considered as virtue.

3.Theft:

Wars and colonizing is not considered as thefts.Further lenin equated a businessman who makes profit to a thief.

So I am confused.Do we have a universally condemnable sin?

keltzkroz
Apprentice

Post #2

Post by keltzkroz »

I don't know if this qualifies, but perhaps the refusal to admit ones own wrongdoing.

sin_is_fun
Sage

Post #3

Post by sin_is_fun »

keltzkroz wrote:I don't know if this qualifies, but perhaps the refusal to admit ones own wrongdoing.
Many cultures dont accept it as a sin... :P

jerickson314
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by jerickson314 »

Genocide.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by McCulloch »

jerickson314 wrote:Genocide.
Except when god authorizes it.
Joshua 6 wrote:So the people shouted, and the priests blew the trumpets. It happened, when the people heard the sound of the trumpet, that the people shouted with a great shout, and the wall fell down flat, so that the people went up into the city, every man straight before him, and they took the city. They utterly destroyed all that was in the city, both man and woman, both young and old, and ox, and sheep, and donkey, with the edge of the sword.
Leviticus 26 wrote: You shall chase your enemies, and they shall fall before you by the sword. Five of you shall chase a hundred, and a hundred of you shall chase ten thousand; and your enemies shall fall before you by the sword.

sin_is_fun
Sage

Post #6

Post by sin_is_fun »

jerickson314 wrote:Genocide.
Germany of 1930's did that legally.

ST88
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by ST88 »

:-k

Maybe... making false oaths?

Corvus
Guru

Post #8

Post by Corvus »

Picking one's nose and then eating it.

Seriously, I'm not sure what is the point of this question. I'm sure it's supposed to expose some critical failing of christianity though what that is exactly, I haven't the foggiest. Actually I do have a vague idea that the real motive behind the question is to point out that if there's no universal condmnable sin how are you supposed to avoid sin. Is that it? Some Christians will probably have a metaphysical solution to that.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.

sin_is_fun
Sage

Post #9

Post by sin_is_fun »

ST88 wrote::-k

Freedom fighters in dictorial regimes still make false oaths and save so many.Is that a sin?Had some jew made some false oath in Hitler's courts is that a sin?
corvus wrote:Picking one's nose and then eating it.
Will American courts punish somebody for doing so?

This question is related to universal law,yes.But certainly not intentionally directed against our beleiving friends.

Corvus
Guru

Post #10

Post by Corvus »

sin_is_fun wrote:
ST88 wrote::-k

Freedom fighters in dictorial regimes still make false oaths and save so many.Is that a sin?Had some jew made some false oath in Hitler's courts is that a sin?
corvus wrote:Picking one's nose and then eating it.
Will American courts punish somebody for doing so?
No, but they don't normally punish you for lusting after someone either. A sin is not exactly the same as a crime, though I suppose you could argue that, from a human perspective, they have a similar goal.
<i>'Beauty is truth, truth beauty,—that is all
Ye know on earth, and all ye need to know.'</i>
-John Keats, Ode on a Grecian Urn.