Your Opinions?

Argue for and against religions and philosophies which are not Christian

Moderator: Moderators

touham

Your Opinions?

Post #1

Post by touham »

Hi everyone. My name is Tobias and I'm a Scientologist from California, and I was curious to see what your opinions are on Scientology! Do you think it is just a fad, or a cult? Don't worry about offending! :whistle:

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Your Opinions?

Post #2

Post by Goat »

touham wrote:Hi everyone. My name is Tobias and I'm a Scientologist from California, and I was curious to see what your opinions are on Scientology! Do you think it is just a fad, or a cult? Don't worry about offending! :whistle:
I find it very much to be a cult.. the entire 'you must purge your theatans and spend money to do it' is a bit much.

The 'detectors' that Scientology uses is very much 'pseudo science', and I strongly disagree with their attitudes towards psychology.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #3

Post by McCulloch »

Scientology is a new-ish sort of religion. The older religions have had many years and generations to polish up the absurdities of their claims by apologetics and to modify and adapt to society, thus appear to be, if not more rational, more acceptable to society. I doubt that the unsupported claims of Scientology are any more absurd than the unsupported claims of most other religions in their early days.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

cnorman18

Your Opinions?

Post #4

Post by cnorman18 »

I don't think it's a legitimate religion, and I don't think it even qualifies as a cult. I think it began as a deliberate scam on the part of L. Frank Hubbard, and I think it remains a cynical racket run by its leaders for their personal enrichment and power. Its tactics are unethical and often illegal, and its financial organization needs to be shut down under the RICO statutes.

What people believe is of no concern to me, but exploiting people's gullibility for money is contemptible and repugnant. And before anyone asks, yes, that goes for most of the slick conmen on religious TV, too.

You did ask.

BwhoUR
Sage

Re: Your Opinions?

Post #5

Post by BwhoUR »

cnorman18 wrote:I don't think it's a legitimate religion, and I don't think it even qualifies as a cult. I think it began as a deliberate scam on the part of L. Frank Hubbard, and I think it remains a cynical racket run by its leaders for their personal enrichment and power. Its tactics are unethical and often illegal, and its financial organization needs to be shut down under the RICO statutes.

What people believe is of no concern to me, but exploiting people's gullibility for money is contemptible and repugnant. And before anyone asks, yes, that goes for most of the slick conmen on religious TV, too.

You did ask.
Ditto.

And it's deliberately dangerous to people who suffer from mental disorders.

Furrowed Brow
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Furrowed Brow »

touham wrote:a fad, or a cult?
Cult yes, fad ...we’ll see.
sukka wrote:And it's deliberately dangerous to people who suffer from mental disorders.
Along with other religions who advocate demons, spirits, possession, evil .