Pope wants debate with Atheists - easy to debate atheists.

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

alsarg72
Apprentice

Pope wants debate with Atheists - easy to debate atheists.

Post #1

Post by alsarg72 »

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world ... 87518.html

The Vatican is planning a new initiative to reach out to atheists and agnostics in an attempt to improve the church's relationship with non-believers. Pope Benedict XVI has ordered officials to create a new foundation where atheists will be encouraged to meet and debate with some of the Catholic Church's top theologians.

The foundation, he said, would only be interested in "noble atheism or agnosticism, not the polemical kind – so not those atheists such as [Piergiorgio] Odifreddi in Italy, [Michel] Onfray in France, [Christopher] Hitchens and [Richard] Dawkins".

Reasonable? Weak?

Murad
Guru

Post #11

Post by Murad »

goat wrote:
Murad wrote:Instead of the vatican debating with athiests, they should debate with muslims. And the listening athiests can choose which is the true path.

Christians agree with me?
Perhaps atheists have already chosen the right path. Perhaps the listening atheists can say 'Both Muslims and Christians are equally wrong'.

Yes they could, that would eliminate 2 religions being true at once. So you like my idea?
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by Goat »

Murad wrote:
goat wrote:
Murad wrote:Instead of the vatican debating with athiests, they should debate with muslims. And the listening athiests can choose which is the true path.

Christians agree with me?
Perhaps atheists have already chosen the right path. Perhaps the listening atheists can say 'Both Muslims and Christians are equally wrong'.

Yes they could, that would eliminate 2 religions being true at once. So you like my idea?
If the pope wants to debate Muslims, I say Go for it. It won't change anybody's minds though.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Post #13

Post by LiamOS »

I think your idea inane. By being an Atheist I've already eliminated all those religions.

I think all religions should debate Atheists, but I worry that Islam won't be doing that in the near future.