God's free time

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Mattu
Student

God's free time

Post #1

Post by Mattu »

What do you fellow God believing people think God did before He created the earth and everything we know in this life. He is outside of time, so grasping exactly how much time took place before we ever came about, and how much time there will be after the earth is completely unable to be processed by my brain besides the fact that time does not exist and things do not age like we know them.

But anyways, what do you think He was up to? :)

Curious
Sage

Post #11

Post by Curious »

Nathan wrote:well, according to general relativity, there can't be any time without matter. That's a difficult concept to grasp, but I guess it just means that God created the Earth at the beginning of time.
The problem with this is that the very act of creation requires a transitional period between "not yet created" and "created". If there is no time then it would be impossible to create anything as the periods, in effect, would be one instance, allowing no change to occur.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #12

Post by McCulloch »

Nathan wrote:well, according to general relativity, there can't be any time without matter. That's a difficult concept to grasp, but I guess it just means that God created the Earth at the beginning of time.
Curious wrote:The problem with this is that the very act of creation requires a transitional period between "not yet created" and "created". If there is no time then it would be impossible to create anything as the periods, in effect, would be one instance, allowing no change to occur.
I always figured that the christian concept of god was that he was outside (or beyond) our space-time continuum. If our universe (our space-time continuum) is a very large complex 4 (or more) dimentional DVD. God is conceived as being the author/director/viewer. We must live in the framework of the movie, but god would not.
I'm not sure where I got that notion. Does it make any sense :?:

Curious
Sage

Post #13

Post by Curious »

McCulloch wrote:I always figured that the christian concept of god was that he was outside (or beyond) our space-time continuum. If our universe (our space-time continuum) is a very large complex 4 (or more) dimentional DVD. God is conceived as being the author/director/viewer. We must live in the framework of the movie, but god would not.
I'm not sure where I got that notion. Does it make any sense :?:
Whenever I watch a DVD, it is always later, after I have watched it, than it was before I watched it. It is difficult to comprehend the authoring, directing and viewing of an event unless there is some lineage. The idea that God is somehow "outside of time" seems more like a cop out than an adequate explanation to me.