How many of you have given up one religion for another?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

BwhoUR
Sage

How many of you have given up one religion for another?

Post #1

Post by BwhoUR »

I would like to know how many of you have started in one religion (I would imagine by your parents) and have given it up for another religion? From what to what and also, why? I'm very curious.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Moderators Note: I've moved this out of the debate forum and into a discussion forum, in that this seems to be a request for discussion rather than debate.

I left my parent's nominal religion, the liberal Christian denomination, the United Church of Canada for a church of Christ. Subsequently, my wife and I joined the Mennonite Brethren to seek a more practical application of Christian principles to life.

We are now Humanists.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

cnorman18

Re: How many of you have given up one religion for another?

Post #3

Post by cnorman18 »

suckka wrote:I would like to know how many of you have started in one religion (I would imagine by your parents) and have given it up for another religion? From what to what and also, why? I'm very curious.
I was born into a Methodist family, followed that denomination all my life with a couple of forays into Episcopalianism, and studied for the Methodist ministry, and served as a pastor of a couple of small country churches for a few years; I left the ministry in 1979 or thereabouts. In 2001 I converted to Conservative Judaism. I have written about my conversion elsewhere, on the "Questions for a Specific Member" subforum.

For the record, I know of three other Methodist ministers who have converted to Judaism here in Dallas alone. One of them is now a rabbi.

BwhoUR
Sage

Post #4

Post by BwhoUR »

This is fascinating, thank you! Please keep posting.

YingToMyYang

Post #5

Post by YingToMyYang »

Born a Catholic, i still live at home as i'm only 16 but I've been doing extensive research into Taoism - considering a complete spiritual overhaul.

sleepyhead
Site Supporter

Re: How many of you have given up one religion for another?

Post #6

Post by sleepyhead »

suckka wrote:I would like to know how many of you have started in one religion (I would imagine by your parents) and have given it up for another religion? From what to what and also, why? I'm very curious.
Hello suckka,

I was raised as a catholic. While in the military I became LDS. After a few years I joined the Church of Christ (temple lot) which is another branch of the original church created by JS in 1830. Now (as far as my beliefs are concerned), they are very closely alligned with the Edgar Cayce material and I purchased a lifetime membership in the A.R.E. which is the organization dedicated to making the information he provided available.
May all your naps be joyous occasions.