Pressing matters of the day and of all time, debated among thoughtful participants of all faiths

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Reply to topic
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 1: Tue Sep 28, 2010 1:07 pm
Atheists know more about the Bible than Christians do

Like this post
In a recent U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey conducted by the Pew Research Center, some very interesting statistics were revealed. Here are the results:
Quote:

Executive Summary

Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups on a new survey of religious knowledge, outperforming evangelical Protestants, mainline Protestants and Catholics on questions about the core teachings, history and leading figures of major world religions.
[...]

Note in the chart above (ordered alphabetically) Atheists know more about the Bible and Christianity, World Religions, and Religion in Public Life than Jews and Christians. Mormons know more about Christianity than ALL Christian denominations do. WOW!

Questions: Does this data show how provincial, and insulated American Christians are? How is it that Atheist's knowledge of the Bible and Christianity is higher than that of Christians?

Bob

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 2: Tue Sep 28, 2010 2:02 pm
Re: Atheists know more about the Bible than Christians do

Like this post
SailingCyclops wrote:

How is it that Atheist's knowledge of the Bible and Christianity is higher than that of Christians?

I think that the rather obvious answer is that the more you know about the Bible and Christianity, the greater the likelihood that you will reject it. But, I am open to other ideas on the topic.

Whistle

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 3: Tue Sep 28, 2010 5:42 pm

Like this post
McCulloch wrote:
I think that the rather obvious answer is that the more you know about the Bible and Christianity, the greater the likelihood that you will reject it.

This is a very easy conclusion to draw from the study.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 4: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:24 pm

Like this post
SailingCyclops wrote:
In a recent U.S. Religious Knowledge Survey conducted by the Pew Research Center, some very interesting statistics were revealed. Here are the results:
Quote:

Executive Summary

Atheists and agnostics, Jews and Mormons are among the highest-scoring groups on a new survey of religious knowledge, outperforming evangelical Protestants, mainline Protestants and Catholics on questions about the core teachings, history and leading figures of major world religions.
[...]

Note in the chart above (ordered alphabetically) Atheists know more about the Bible and Christianity, World Religions, and Religion in Public Life than Jews and Christians. Mormons know more about Christianity than ALL Christian denominations do. WOW!

Questions: Does this data show how provincial, and insulated American Christians are? How is it that Atheist's knowledge of the Bible and Christianity is higher than that of Christians?

Bob

Did you take the Religious Knowledge survey offered on the site?

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 5: Wed Sep 29, 2010 1:43 pm

Like this post
Sister Christian wrote:
SailingCyclops wrote:
Quote:

Executive Summary

[...]

Bob

I took the 'shortened' version of 15 questions, and I got all 15 right, and I am a Jewish Atheist.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 6: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:24 pm

Like this post
Sister Christian wrote:

Goat wrote:

I took the 'shortened' version of 15 questions, and I got all 15 right, and I am a Jewish Atheist.

I took it and got all 15 right and I am a humanist ex-Christian.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 7: Wed Sep 29, 2010 2:48 pm

Like this post
Sister Christian wrote:

I took the "quiz" and scored 15/15. I am an atheist, but I believe that anyone with a basic 4 year liberal arts degree from a reputable school, should have aced it as well. It was a very simple quiz.

I would question whether those with degrees from schools like Regent University or Bob Jones University would get many of the non-Christian questions correct.

Bob

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 8: Wed Sep 29, 2010 11:36 pm

Like this post
I got 14/15. I am a Christian Theist.

I was reading too quickly, the one I got wrong was when the Sabbath actually began. I just said Saturday cause I thought it asked what day it fell on. LOL, dumb mistake on my part.

But yeah, anyone who has taken a class on world religions should know most if not all of that stuff...

I think it says more about America's quality of education than it does about religious groups or the "superior knowledge" of non-religious people.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 9: Thu Sep 30, 2010 12:49 pm

Like this post
SailingCyclops wrote:
I took the "quiz" and scored 15/15.

Ditto.

Goto top, bottom
Post BBCode URL - Right click and save to clipboard to use later in post Post 10: Thu Sep 30, 2010 2:01 pm

Like this post
Same here.
But I wish they had really tested me with whether I knew that Billy Grahem could bench 250 but only while listening to Pulman's His Dark Materials on tape, or that the Pope secretly listens to AC/DC, or that Mother Theresa's favorite food was Miracle Whip. I didn't go seminary for nothing!!

But seriously folks, there is no credible correlation between a lot of knowledge and loss of belief.
There is IMO a correlation between a little and new knowledge and loss of belief, and between piss poor knowledge and strong simple belief.
but with lots and lots of knowledge, it can go either way.
Take that McColloch! Laughing

This test seems to suggest that traditional believers are often short on knowledge. I hope that the dumber denominations will take this as a wake up call.

Goto top, bottom

Goto page 1, 2  Next

Jump to:  
Facebook
Tweet

On The Web | Ecodia | Facebook | Twitter