Yes
17%

Total votes: 94

adherent
Apprentice

Harry Potter

Post #1

Post by adherent »

Do you think Harry Potter contains anti-Christian material?
Does it overall convey an anti-Christian feeling?
Shout to the Lord
All the earth
Let us sing
Power and majesty
Praise to the King
Mountains bow down
And the seas will roar
At the sound of Your Name

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Post #51

Post by ChaosBorders »

Slopeshoulder wrote:
TwentyOneSix wrote:I've never read Harry Potter, nor do I intend to, and if my wife could conceive we wouldn't allow our children near such books. I've heard all I need to hear about the series; it targets young children and leads them in performing satanic rituals (the latest book includes a human sacrifice) and witchcraft and demon worship. Books like these are highly destructive, especially to impressionable minors, and it deeply disturbs me whenever I see an outpouring of support for this satanic filth.

It's just another disadvantage of free speech.
No better expression of the power that resides at the intersection of ignorance and the internet can be found!
This is the real satanic filth IMO. Otherwise it'd simply be hilarious.
Wow...I read all seven books and really don't recall any human sacrifice or demon worship going on. Withcraft kind of hard to argue with giving it's a story about wizards and witches. Maybe I need to reread all my Harry Potter books again and see what I've missed :P
Unless indicated otherwise what I say is opinion. (Kudos to Zzyzx for this signature).

“Science without religion is lame, religion without science is blind.� -Albert Einstein

The most dangerous ideas in a society are not the ones being argued, but the ones that are assumed.
- C.S. Lewis

sineporf
Student

TwentyOneSix

Post #52

Post by sineporf »

I really hope you are joking or playing the part of the ignorant Christian, because my alarm signs have risen. Your refusal to read the Harry Potter books and make a judgment yourself, I suspect, is the same reason that you take your faith the way you do; you said it yourself, you let some other person make a judgment for you. This is the very definition of manipulated ignorance that is statistically true of most southern christian believers: they follow the crowd.

sineporf
Student

Re: TwentyOneSix

Post #53

Post by sineporf »

sineporf wrote:I really hope you are joking or playing the part of the ignorant Christian, because my alarm signs have risen. Your refusal to read the Harry Potter books and make a judgment yourself, I suspect, is the same reason that you take your faith the way you do; you said it yourself, you let some other person make a judgment for you. This is the very definition of manipulated ignorance that is statistically true of most southern christian believers: they follow the crowd.
Ignorance, TwentyOneSix, is your faith.

Slopeshoulder
Banned
Banned

Post #54

Post by Slopeshoulder »

I find it fantastic and ironic that in the 7th book, and in the interviews with Rowling that followed, it becomes clear that that the major themes and outlook of the Potter series are Christian. Just as Tolkein and Lewis were Christians, so is Rowling, although not so orthodox and self-admittedly struggling in much the same way Augustine did (e.g. I want to believe, help my unbelief). They all use magic and pagan mythology to tell a story.
Let's dismiss out of hand any Potter-is-demonic nonsense. It is ignorant and inaccurate and needn't be taken seriously.

otseng
Savant

Post #55

Post by otseng »

sineporf wrote: Ignorance, TwentyOneSix, is your faith.
Moderator comment:

OK, we all get the point. Let's avoid further personal comments about another poster.

sineporf
Student

Post #56

Post by sineporf »

otseng wrote:
sineporf wrote: Ignorance, TwentyOneSix, is your faith.
Moderator comment:

OK, we all get the point. Let's avoid further personal comments about another poster.
Why is it personal? It's just as personal to me because I have to understand that his position is the cause of all things destructive.