Any questions for Jehovah's Witnesses?

Getting to know more about a particular group

Moderator: Moderators

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Any questions for Jehovah's Witnesses?

Post #1

Post by JehovahsWitness »

Lots of people have questions about Jehovah's Witnesses what we believe and why.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #2

Post by McCulloch »

Why do you believe the Bible?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Personally

Post #3

McCulloch wrote:Why do you believe the Bible?
Personally I believe the bible because I believe it hold undeniable and proof of divine inspiritation. Thus believing the bible is "believing God" or the Creator of the universe. I believe the bible has been faithfully and accurately transmitted to mankind and it has proved to be a unfailingly good source of information and councel.

"So great is my veneration for the Bible that the earlier my children begin to read it the more confident will be my hope that they will prove useful citizens of their country and respectable members of society. I have for many years made it a practice to read through the Bible once every year." --John Quincy Adams

spear

Original sin

Post #4

Post by spear »

Hi John

My question is regarding the original sin.

Would you say that when God removed his blessing (if that is the correct term), was it also removed from animals? Adam and Eve lost their perfection because of their disobedience, but I can help but wonder about the animals, what was it that they did that was wrong, as they also suffered from all the things that imperfect humans suffer from. According to Isaiah 11:6-9 God will bring about changes in the animal kingdom; would you say then that there is a connection here?

I would appreciate an explanation.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Lux »

Hi JW,

Sometimes I engage in conversation with the people who knock on my door to bring me "the good news of salvation" (that doesn't always work out well), and I notice that a large percentage of them are Jehova's witnesses. Is there anything in your religion that urges people to spread the message or to gain converts more than other religions?
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Re: Original sin

Post #6

spear wrote:Hi John

My question is regarding the original sin.

Would you say that when God removed his blessing (if that is the correct term), was it also removed from animals? Adam and Eve lost their perfection because of their disobedience, but I can help but wonder about the animals, what was it that they did that was wrong, as they also suffered from all the things that imperfect humans suffer from. According to Isaiah 11:6-9 God will bring about changes in the animal kingdom; would you say then that there is a connection here?

I would appreciate an explanation.
First, it should be noted that animals were never created to live forever so their living and dying is not a result of any curse for anything they have done. Still, even thought animals were created with a finite lifespan, whereupon old-age would cause death, it is out of line with God's loving character to think he intended them to suffer sickness and pain before dying. The status of the animal kingdom has remained unchanged but mankind's fall from perfection and the development of a system that doesn't reflect the godly norm has effected animals.

The Edenic mandate was to take care of the earth and the animals and mans negligence in this regard was bound to affect the animal kingdom in some way. We've upset the ecosystems, poured chemicals into the oceans, polluted the air, degrated the earth, wiped out whole species, inbred, misused, misfed and abused ... its little wonder after thousands of years animals cannot live out their lives in good health.

The bible says "For we know that all creation keeps on groaning together and being in pain together until now" (Romans 7: 22) and it is surely the case that innocent animals have and do suffer because their human caretakers have lost the original paradise.

Related topic
Animals a gift from God
http://www.watchtower.org/e/20040222a/article_01.htm

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by McCulloch »

Lucia wrote: Hi JW,

Sometimes I engage in conversation with the people who knock on my door to bring me "the good news of salvation" (that doesn't always work out well), and I notice that a large percentage of them are Jehova's witnesses. Is there anything in your religion that urges people to spread the message or to gain converts more than other religions?
If I may presume to answer on JW's behalf, I think that I understand some of this, having myself belonged to an exclusivist Christian sect.

Matthew 28:19
"Go therefore and make disciples of all the nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and the Son and the Holy Spirit, ...

and other similar passages. The JWs as a group behave as if they actually believe this.

That is coupled with the attitude of exclusivity. They generally behave as if the teachings of their organization are right and true, and by implication any contrary teaching would be false. Thus the need to preach and teach.

It is interesting to note that, as a group, the Jehovah's Witnesses are quite frequently reviled. Is it that they are non-trinitarian? No, there are other less hated non-trinitarians. Is it because they refuse to participate in nationalism? No, the Amish are similarly non-nationalistic and are not hated as much. Many people I know, don't like the Jehovah's Witnesses, because they come to the door with their message, when we don't want to hear it.

But, if you really think about it, anyone who believes the message of traditional conservative Christianity should be doing the same. If I thought that you were really really going to spend an eternity in excruciating torment1, and that I could be an agent to prevent that from happening, simply by presenting to you that which I know to be true, I could not justify to myself not at least trying to make you listen.

JehovahsWitness
Savant

Post #8

Lucia wrote:Sometimes I engage in conversation with the people who knock on my door to bring me "the good news of salvation" ...I notice that a large percentage of them are Jehova's witnesses. Is there anything in your religion that urges people to spread the message or to gain converts more than other religions?
Greetings,

Yes, Jehovah's Witnesses believe that their is a scriptural mandate upon all Christians to spread the gospel.

QUESTION: Why do Jehovah's Witnesses come to you door?

Jehovah's Witnesses knock on peoples door because they believe it is part of their Christian obligation to proclaim the gospel in line with their understanding of Matthew 28: 19, 20 which reads: "Go therefore and make disciples of people of all the nations, baptizing them [...] teaching them to observe all the things I have commanded you.� They therefore view public preaching as part of their worship.

According to Wikipedia:
  • The commission from Jesus has been interpreted by evangelical Christians as meaning that his followers have the duty to go, teach, and baptize. Although the command was initially given directly only to Christ's Eleven Apostles, evangelical Christian theology has typically interpreted the commission as a directive to all Christians of every time and place[...] -- The Great Commission (Interpretation)
Other scriptures seen to be of relevance to the Jehovah's Witnesses tenet are:

**The apostle Paul said "I kept back nothing that was profitable [unto you], but have shewed you, and have taught you publickly, and from house to house" -- Acts chapter 20 verse 20 (KJV)

**"And this gospel of the kingdom shall be preached in the whole world for a testimony unto all the nations; and then shall the end come." -- Matthew 24:14 (American Standard Version)

**"You see, we don't go around preaching about ourselves. We preach that Jesus Christ is Lord [...]" -- 2 Cor 4:5 (New Living Translation ©2007)

Jehovah's Witnesses - Organized To Share The Good News
http://dc120.4shared.com/download/A8ytL ... d_News.avi

McCulloch wrote:If I may presume to answer on JW's behalf ....

No you may not answer on "my behalf" thank you very much. I am more than capable of speaking for myself but should I be in need of your services I will keep your kind offer in mind.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by Lux »

Thank you for your reply. It seems that the real question is why aren't the other christians doing the same, like Mc points out.
McCulloch wrote:It is interesting to note that, as a group, the Jehovah's Witnesses are quite frequently reviled. Is it that they are non-trinitarian? No, there are other less hated non-trinitarians. Is it because they refuse to participate in nationalism? No, the Amish are similarly non-nationalistic and are not hated as much. Many people I know, don't like the Jehovah's Witnesses, because they come to the door with their message, when we don't want to hear it.
This is quite true, I noticed that they are disliked here even by other somewhat similar christian denominations.

Personally I don't dislike the fact that they knock on my door because I recognize their good intentions (plus I welcome opportunities for a good discussion), but it bothers me a great deal when they are rude, and they sometimes are.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

spear

Re: Original sin

Post #10

Post by spear »

Hi,

Thanks for the reply, will read the link.