Happy Chanukah!

To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jrosemary
Sage

Happy Chanukah!

Post #1

Post by Jrosemary »

Go find the Chanukiah in the basement! Dig up your decorations! Fry up some latkes! Drink a toast to the Macabbees for their (rather zealous) fight for religious freedom. Chanukah starts tonight. O:)

cnorman18

Re: Happy Chanukah!

Post #2

Post by cnorman18 »

Jrosemary wrote:Go find the Chanukiah in the basement! Dig up your decorations! Fry up some latkes! Drink a toast to the Macabbees for their (rather zealous) fight for religious freedom. Chanukah starts tonight. O:)
I love latkes, but they're hell on my diet. Anybody who thinks that Jewish dietary laws are about health hasn't eaten much Jewish food. Somebody should have told Moses about cholesterol.

Happy Chanukah to you too! I know I'm late, but I figure I have 8 days...

fewwillfindit
Guru

Post #3

Post by fewwillfindit »

Happy Chanukah to both of you. :)
Acts 13:48 And when the Gentiles heard this, they began rejoicing and glorifying the word of the Lord, and as many as were appointed to eternal life believed.

Jrosemary
Sage

Post #4

Post by Jrosemary »

Thanks guys! Here, have some virtual latkes. (They're much healthier than the real ones!) O:)

Goat
Site Supporter

Post #5

Post by Goat »

Jrosemary wrote:Thanks guys! Here, have some virtual latkes. (They're much healthier than the real ones!) O:)
But the real ones taste so much better!!

Yom Huledet Same'ach
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

cnorman18

Post #6

Post by cnorman18 »

If you haven't seen this, you just gotta. It's awesome.

Did I just say "awesome"? I'm 60, I'm not allowed to say "awesome" any more. Anyway, FinalEnigma sent me this. Watch it. Trust me.

http://www.cnn.com/video/data/2.0/video ... beats.html

sarabellum

Happy Chanukah!

Post #7

Post by sarabellum »

ditto.... :D
enjoy the festivities!

O:)

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I find making these wholly amateurish reports helps me retain the knowledge better and 'pologize just a little bit if y'all gotta put up with it. I never had much formal schooling, so this is about the best I can do. I hope y'all read it in the spirit of love and respect it is meant...

I also 'pologize for not noticing the thread sooner.

Chanukah, or Hanukkah, or however you end up spelling it best ya can, also called the "Festival of Lights", is a Jewish celebration of the rededication of the Holy Temple (one of the structures located on the Temple Mount in old Jerusalem). This rededication occurred in the city of Jerusalem during the Maccabean Revolt.

This Maccabean revolt was a big deal because some Antiochus fellow forbade Jewish religious practice, and who has to be told that wouldn't sit well. Come to find out the word 'Maccabean' is what the Greeks use for talking about a hammer, but only now they started using it to refer to the Jewish Army, and 'parently they didn't see the futility in trying to tell a hammer, much less the Jewish people, how they oughta worship - nor does it seem they thought about the problems with trying to get away with it. So there, just plain as anyone coulda seen coming if they'da bothered to think there for just the least spell, a revolt set in.

It seems the first act of this revolt was by a person named Mattithias the Hasmonean, who must be famous because he's got his own wikipedia entry all to himself. Well anyways, Mattithias wasn't having no part of some outsider telling him how to worship and he up and killed another Jew right there on the spot for giving in. After cutting out, it went well there for about a year, but even Mattithias ended up there on the dead side of things.

That didn't bother Mattithias Junior though, who everyone called Judah Maccabee, cause he set about just feuding like nobody's business. He beat folks trying to tell him how to worship and he did it till they didn't do it no more. His many victories led to a fellow named Jonathan Maccabee going into that temple we were talking about, and setting in like he owned the place. And since they'd ritually cleaned up that temple and told Jonathan "You're the high priest now", who could blame him if he did act like he owned the place?

So that's how the story of Chanakuh seems to go. The Jews got mad about being told who and how to worship and they fought hard and put a stop to it. I'd be proud too if it was my folks that did it.

Now, there's likely to be folks wondering about that fancy candle holder. The Menorah has a central candle called a shamash that is typically used to light the other candles. And about those other candles... Wouldn't ya know it the folks famous for arguing with their own god even argue about the manner in which the candles are lit. With that bit of intrigue unanswered, I encourage folks to find out about the history of the menorah on their own.

Jrosemary
Sage

Post #9

Post by Jrosemary »

Joey Knothead wrote:It seems the first act of this revolt was by a person named Mattithias the Hasmonean, who must be famous because he's got his own wikipedia entry all to himself. Well anyways, Mattithias wasn't having no part of some outsider telling him how to worship and he up and killed another Jew right there on the spot for giving in. After cutting out, it went well there for about a year, but even Mattithias ended up there on the dead side of things.
I love your Chanukah write up, Joey!

Mattithias always struck me as a John Brown type figure. Scary and maybe crazy fanatical, but arguably necessary. :-k

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Jrosemary wrote:
Joey Knothead wrote:It seems the first act of this revolt was by a person named Mattithias the Hasmonean, who must be famous because he's got his own wikipedia entry all to himself. Well anyways, Mattithias wasn't having no part of some outsider telling him how to worship and he up and killed another Jew right there on the spot for giving in. After cutting out, it went well there for about a year, but even Mattithias ended up there on the dead side of things.
I love your Chanukah write up, Joey!

Mattithias always struck me as a John Brown type figure. Scary and maybe crazy fanatical, but arguably necessary. :-k
'Preciate it.

Seems somebody bothered the wrong person ;)

I see a lesson here - Don't expect others to respect your god unless your out there respecting theirs.