Flight 93.

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

scanini
Student

Flight 93.

Post #1

Post by scanini »

Just watched this film, do people still think religion is a force for good?

Atheists unite, keep up the fight. Religion poisons everything.

LiamOS
Site Supporter

Re: Flight 93.

Post #2

Post by LiamOS »

[color=cyan]scanini[/color] wrote:Just watched this film, do people still think religion is a force for good?

I sincerely hope this is satire.

But to answer the question, yes, people do.
I'd just like to put it out there that crazy people will be crazy whether or not they think a big guy in the sky looks out for them and their interests.

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

AkiThePirate wrote: I sincerely hope this is satire.

But to answer the question, yes, people do.
I'd just like to put it out there that crazy people will be crazy whether or not they think a big guy in the sky looks out for them and their interests.
Seconded.

No one particular group has a lock on mental illness - except that group that constitutes "mentally ill".

I'd be willing to wager there's some'll tell you I'd fall into such a group. I ain't so sure I care :)

scanini
Student

Post #4

Post by scanini »

I never said the religious had a monopoly on mental illness, although i think belief in a god is a form of it.

It takes religion to make good people do bad things, i think the hijackers had complete faith in what they were doing, that they in their minds were sane and doing a good thing.

cnorman18

Post #5

Post by cnorman18 »

I said it before, and I'll say it again:

There is no such thing as "religion." There are only specific religions.

It depends on which religion we're talking about, and even which sect or interpretation of THAT religion. Some religions are toxic, and some aren't.

Lux
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by Lux »

Moderator Action

This thread is not a debate about Christianity, so I'll move it to Religion in Entertainment. In the future, please try to post threads in the appropriate subforum.
[center]Image

© Divine Insight (Thanks!)[/center]

"There is more room for a god in science than there is for no god in religious faith." -Phil Plate.

Kuan
Site Supporter

Post #7

Post by Kuan »

scanini wrote:Just watched this film, do people still think religion is a force for good?

Ha ha, you made my day.

I would say that the major religions in the world do not poison everything but rather a small minority from the religions cause the poison.
scanini wrote:Do people still think religion is a force for good?
Of course, look around you! There are countless religous organizations that do good in the name of a higher being.
"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it."
- Voltaire

Kung may ayaw, may dahilan. Kung may gusto, may paraan.

Wootah
Savant

Hmm

Post #8

Post by Wootah »

I don't understand why people cannot see that we all have beliefs and that it is our beliefs that cause this immorality. IE: Performing immoral actions is because of what we believe rather than just religion.

ChaosBorders
Site Supporter

Post #9

Post by ChaosBorders »

scanini wrote:I never said the religious had a monopoly on mental illness, although i think belief in a god is a form of it.

It takes religion to make good people do bad things, i think the hijackers had complete faith in what they were doing, that they in their minds were sane and doing a good thing.
No it doesn't. I takes bad authority figures and any kind of ideology at all to make good people do bad things. That is all. That ideology does not have to be religion, and frequently hasn't. Nationalism was a huge one in the first half the twentieth century. If you actually got atheists to unit in order to stamp out religion or some such, I guarantee some normally 'good' people would do plenty of atrocities in the process.

Religion can be used as a tool by bad people to get good people to do bad things. But it can also be used as a tool to get bad people to do good things. It can be a force for good, but it can also be a destructive force. Which it is depends entirely on a case by case basis, often with the case being a singular individual.