Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

Adstar
Under Probation

Dealing with Some ex-Christians.

Post #1

Post by Adstar »

Hello all

I am not a lutheran but i have heard a decent message from a lutheran about the basics of what saves one and How to deal with a certain type of ex-Christian.

I have often tried to do as this man preaches. It should be done to weed out the true rejectors of the Gospel and those who are rejectors of Law and works teaching churches. This video is a fairly long one but well worth the listen.

Hope you enjoy it.

Just scroll down a bit till you get to the video box when you get to the site.

http://www.newreformationpress.com/blog ... he-church/

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Darias
Guru

Post #2

Post by Darias »

I'm watching the video right now and already some of the stuff he has mentioned sounds awfully familiar.

Throughout my teens I was constantly faced with the sense that I wasn't really saved and that I needed to re-dedicate my life to God, or say the sinners prayer again and write down the date that time so I could be sure I was saved.

I was never happy except for times of relief during private worship of God while alone. That's the only time I wouldn't think about myself, "my sins," and the undying guilt and burden that wouldn't go away.

A lot of my pain had to do with believing that masturbation was a sin, and although I abstained from it as best I could, it would still give me tremendous guilt. The fact that I couldn't pray away my problem was proof that I wasn't really saved, at least in my eyes.

I went through years of depression over it. And I remember telling myself "How can I share the gospel to others knowing that this is what the Christian life brings? How could I tell others about Christ and promise them that they will have joy, when I have none?"

But I have to tell you, though I got angry at God, I never quit believing in God, I've never not believed in His existence.

The only thing that set me free from that hellish life was realizing that it wasn't a sin and that I had to trust God for salvation or go crazy worrying about hell.

My "spirit of discernment" as others often claimed I had, helped me investigate the truth about a lot of things, and this is why I have become as liberal and unorthodox as I am today.

But I'm still a believer; if anything I've earned the right to wear the label. As for my salvation, only God knows -- because I've never experienced lasting salvific assurance, maybe a few brief moments of hope -- but that's it.

And I did everything I knew to be saved -- Romans 10:9, Ephesians 2:8-9, repent of sins, etc. Personal variations of the sinners prayer uttered once a week -- countless times -- sincere for each and every one...

But my knowledge of the Bible and my consideration of unorthodox views/ my compassion and convictions -- they all have led me to re-examine doctrine of all sorts with a very critical eye...

.... after all, doctrine is man-made -- and there have been many bad doctrines created...

but truth sets you free, at least it's helped me.

Adstar
Under Probation

Post #3

Post by Adstar »

Darias wrote:I'm watching the video right now and already some of the stuff he has mentioned sounds awfully familiar.

Throughout my teens I was constantly faced with the sense that I wasn't really saved and that I needed to re-dedicate my life to God, or say the sinners prayer again and write down the date that time so I could be sure I was saved.

I was never happy except for times of relief during private worship of God while alone. That's the only time I wouldn't think about myself, "my sins," and the undying guilt and burden that wouldn't go away.

A lot of my pain had to do with believing that masturbation was a sin, and although I abstained from it as best I could, it would still give me tremendous guilt. The fact that I couldn't pray away my problem was proof that I wasn't really saved, at least in my eyes.

I went through years of depression over it. And I remember telling myself "How can I share the gospel to others knowing that this is what the Christian life brings? How could I tell others about Christ and promise them that they will have joy, when I have none?"

But I have to tell you, though I got angry at God, I never quit believing in God, I've never not believed in His existence.

The only thing that set me free from that hellish life was realizing that it wasn't a sin and that I had to trust God for salvation or go crazy worrying about hell.

My "spirit of discernment" as others often claimed I had, helped me investigate the truth about a lot of things, and this is why I have become as liberal and unorthodox as I am today.

But I'm still a believer; if anything I've earned the right to wear the label. As for my salvation, only God knows -- because I've never experienced lasting salvific assurance, maybe a few brief moments of hope -- but that's it.

And I did everything I knew to be saved -- Romans 10:9, Ephesians 2:8-9, repent of sins, etc. Personal variations of the sinners prayer uttered once a week -- countless times -- sincere for each and every one...

But my knowledge of the Bible and my consideration of unorthodox views/ my compassion and convictions -- they all have led me to re-examine doctrine of all sorts with a very critical eye...

.... after all, doctrine is man-made -- and there have been many bad doctrines created...

but truth sets you free, at least it's helped me.

I believe sin is sin and masturbation requires lustful thought. Lusting is sin. So masturbation is sin.

I thank God through the Messiah Jesus that i am forgiven sins.

I believe in essence you have rejected the power of Jesus to forgive sins.

I see a lot of people try to obtain righteousness. Self righteousness. By determining to eliminate sin from their lives by their own efforts. That’s the trap this preacher was talking about. When they fail on a particular sin they will convince themselves that their particular sin is not sin at all. This is done as a desperate attempt to obtain self righteousness through simply redefining sins as not to be sin.

Also praying a "Personal variations of the sinners prayer" Every day is not what should be done.

Jesus at one time Died on the cross to Provide Atonement for the sins of all whom Believe and Trust in His saving Work. No need to ask Jesus daily to forgive us. We are forgiven all our Sins from the moment we believed Jesus. No need to ask each day for forgiveness for that days sins. If we are in a state of belief ALL our Sins are forgiven from the day we first came to the knowledge of Good and Evil to the Day we Die. All our sins are covered by the Atoning Blood of Jesus.

I have an excellent right up i got from another person. I will post it for you.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days