For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

Being1
Student

Do you exist?

Post #1

Post by Being1 »

If so, can you prove it?
Last edited by Being1 on Thu Sep 01, 2005 7:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Curious
Sage

Re: Do you exist?

Post #21

Post by Curious »

Harrison wrote:
Curious wrote:
Harrison wrote:If so, can you prove it?
I can prove it to myself but not to you. You can prove that you exist to yourself but not to me. When it comes down to it, all that we really know is that we have a particular perspective or perception. If we have this perception of self and of our surroundings then we know that the perception, if not the reality of what we perceive, exists. If the perception exists then it follows that the perspective ( and therefore ourself ) exists.
So therefore we can only prove to ourselves that we exist, not to another. Perhaps also we can only ever prove to ourselves that God exists. There can be no mass solutions.
I think it unreasonable to expect that proving the existence of God would be any easier than proving the existence of myself. Concerning proving the existence of God, all we can prove is God perception, not God reality, and then only to ourselves. There is no reason, given sufficient evidence however, that we should assume this perception is flawed while accepting completely the equally unprovable material reality.

Being1
Student

Post #22

Post by Being1 »

Curious wrote: I think it unreasonable to expect that proving the existence of God would be any easier than proving the existence of myself. Concerning proving the existence of God, all we can prove is God perception, not God reality, and then only to ourselves. There is no reason, given sufficient evidence however, that we should assume this perception is flawed while accepting completely the equally unprovable material reality.
Yes, I agree. However for me there is no difference between God perception and God reality...

Curious
Sage

Post #23

Post by Curious »

Harrison wrote: Yes, I agree. However for me there is no difference between God perception and God reality...
Just as for the atheist, there is no difference between material perception and material reality. Neither one is ultimately provable so why accept one and not the other. That is my point.