Quickly Frustrated

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

NashuLee
Student

Quickly Frustrated

Post #1

Post by NashuLee »

It didn't take long for me to get quickly frustrated with talking and attempting to defend here online.

I am stunned at just how quickly points are avoided, science is ignored, answers are mocked, and at how quickly i am frustrated!!

I have only posted in a few responses, and I just bang my head into my desk.

I am no expert, I am not a scientist, I am not a biblical scholar and I know this. I am not trying to come at folks as I know everything, and I am sure that I am just going about it all wrong. None the less, AARRGH!!!!!!

When asked point blank about why I believe that science proves out creator, I give an example. The bob and weave my response got was amazing!! I felt like I was in a cage match against a fighter that was just running away and throwing other things in the way.

Well, there, I feel better now.

Yall have a great night

Nash

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: Quickly Frustrated

Post #2

Post by EduChris »

NashuLee wrote:It didn't take long for me to get quickly frustrated with talking and attempting to defend here online.

I am stunned at just how quickly points are avoided, science is ignored, answers are mocked, and at how quickly i am frustrated!!

I have only posted in a few responses, and I just bang my head into my desk...
If you didn't get frustrated with all these shenanigans you wouldn't be normal.

In other words, count your blessings! O:)

michae
Student

Post #3

Post by michae »

I think some may have debate and aggrivation confused. What has amazed me the most I think is what seems to an educated lot and they have out smarted themselves. Ill say its the times we live in, and much study has made some mad. Very angry bunch that really have an axe to grind.

johnmarc
Sage

Post #4

Post by johnmarc »

michae wrote:I think some may have debate and aggrivation confused.
How so? Can you give me an example?
michae wrote:What has amazed me the most I think is what seems to an educated lot and they have out smarted themselves.
I am relatively new here, but there does seem to be a correlation between educated (knowledgeable) and tone. The greater the education the softer the tone.
michae wrote:Ill say its the times we live in, and much study has made some mad.
I spent most of my life as an angry atheist and it was 'much study' that calmed me down. Having said that, I find Christians to be the angrier group. Atheists don't have a thread entitled, "We Christians need to be more careful."
michae wrote:Very angry bunch that really have an axe to grind.
I put away my axe when I picked up some books. It is amazing what thoughtful analysis will do for one's frame of mind.
Why posit intention when ignorance will suffice?

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #5

Post by EduChris »

johnmarc wrote:...I find Christians to be the angrier group...
Well, it probably is more fun to throw mud at the side of the barn than it is to clean it up. Many atheists come here with the direct intention to make fun of religion and watch people get stirred up as a result. It's a pity we (myself included) oblige them in this way sometimes, but it is an even greater pity that this forum couldn't be used more for the purpose of learning than for (attempting) to make fun of other people.

johnmarc wrote:...I put away my axe when I picked up some books. It is amazing what thoughtful analysis will do for one's frame of mind.
Self congratulation does wonders for the ego, doesn't it?

johnmarc
Sage

Post #6

Post by johnmarc »

EduChris wrote:Well, it probably is more fun to throw mud at the side of the barn than it is to clean it up. Many atheists come here with the direct intention to make fun of religion and watch people get stirred up as a result. It's a pity we (myself included) oblige them in this way sometimes, but it is an even greater pity that this forum couldn't be used more for the purpose of learning than for (attempting) to make fun of other people.
Atheists turned Christian are rare enough around here that we warrant no special group (The Outer Darkness---Former Christian) In fact, 'we' might be better stated, 'I'.

Former Christians (now atheists) seem to be the nastiest of the 'A' group having felt that they were betrayed by their religion and now seek to 'get back' at something---who knows exactly what?

But Christians sling their own fair share of mud. The whole idea of one's beliefs sentencing to hell an entire class of people of a rational mindset may be a logical consequence for 'sin' for one side but it looks like mud from the other side.
EduChris wrote:Self congratulation does wonders for the ego, doesn't it?
Is this mud?

I have been an atheist most of my life. In one aspect of an attempt to 'prove the Bible wrong' I ended up in a Unitarian Universalist church for a year. One of the functions was at the minister's home where he had wall after wall of books. I asked him,"If I read all of these books, would I still hate God."

He said, "No" I had expected him to say, "Yes."

I never did read all of those books, I read different books. But the bottom line for me was simply that one cannot read deeply into the history and theology of the church and come out a hater. I don't hate God, I don't hate the Bible, and I don't hate atheists. None of the folks that I know with 'libraries' are haters. I don't know if all of this is 'self congratulation' or not. For me, it is nothing more than, "Thank God I got an education and put away all of the nastiness that came with shooting from the hip."

EasternSP
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by EasternSP »

I hear ya NashuLee. Living and sharing your faith can be difficult sometimes, but remember when Paul tells us to count it all joy when we have the trials. When you are challenged, you hit the books to find the reason for your faith. That's what you are called to do is defend your faith. Don't worry about the bible. It defends itself.

michae
Student

Post #8

Post by michae »

I know there are truly born again believers in here but I dont think this site on a whole is really a place that had much of an edification to it. I can hear already "well this is a place for debate", I believe in sharing and debating but what we have now it seems to me is just another place to berate each other and argue. Maybe the young in heart
Know no other way, my take on it anyway. Seems the youth which is what these places consist of have been bullied and look for an opportunity for pay back, looks like a trap. Christians are losing their witness

johnmarc
Sage

Post #9

Post by johnmarc »

michae wrote:I know there are truly born again believers in here but I dont think this site on a whole is really a place that had much of an edification to it. I can hear already "well this is a place for debate", I believe in sharing and debating but what we have now it seems to me is just another place to berate each other and argue. Maybe the young in heart
Know no other way, my take on it anyway. Seems the youth which is what these places consist of have been bullied and look for an opportunity for pay back, looks like a trap. Christians are losing their witness
Just curious...

This paragraph seems to imply that there is only one kind of Christian (truly born again believer) and that learning (edification) can only take place among this particular classification of believer. Conversation outside of this group consists solely of 'berate' and 'argue'. Am I reading this paragraph correctly?

EasternSP
Apprentice

Post #10

Post by EasternSP »

I think ya have to keep in mind, when ya go into any of the sub forums here, you aren't walking into a Sunday School classroom. People are here because they have an indepth understanding for the position that they hold.
New believers aren't here. The majority of church goers can't defend their faith enough to engage anyone in a general conversation about it let alone come on here and deal with the hardcore.
You are only called to deliver the message NashuLee. Let the spirit win the soul.