Non-theist fallacies

Where Christians can get together and discuss

Moderator: Moderators

EduChris
Prodigy

Non-theist fallacies

Post #1

Post by EduChris »

I notice that non-theists keep bringing up the same fallacies over and over, and much time is wasted on repetitive arguments against those same old fallacies which are brought up by virtually every non-theist who joins this forum.

What I would like to do is this: I do not want this thread to be the place where fallacies are actually discussed or debated; rather, I will start another thread on the Holy Huddle named "The Leprechaun Fallacy." Then I will post a link to that thread here on this thread. The thread for the Leprechaun Fallacy will in turn will contain links to any threads on the main forum that deal with the Leprechaun Fallacy. In this way will will have a handy reference to every place where that fallacy has been addressed.

In the same way, we can start other new threads for each fallacy promoted by the non-theists. Each of those threads will contain references to every place where its respective fallacy is addressed in the main forums.

In summary, this thread be the master list with links to the other threads which will each deal with one specific fallacy.
Last edited by EduChris on Thu Apr 07, 2011 12:49 pm, edited 3 times in total.

EduChris
Prodigy

Re: Non-theist fallacies

Post #2

Post by EduChris »

Here is a link to the thread that maintains references to posts that deal with The Leprechaun Fallacy.

If you find any posts in the main forum sections where this fallacy is raised and rebutted, please add a reference to that post in the The Leprechaun Fallacy thread.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #3

Post by EduChris »

Here is a link to the thread that maintains references to posts that deal with The Fallacy of the Equivocal Definition.

If you find any posts in the main forum sections where this fallacy is raised and rebutted, please add a reference to that post in the The Fallacy of the Equivocal Definition thread.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #4

Post by EduChris »

Here is a link to the thread that maintains references to posts that deal with The Fallacy of Unattempted Charity (the strawman).

If you find any posts in the main forum sections where this fallacy is raised and rebutted, please add a reference to that post in the The Fallacy of Unattempted Charity thread.

WinePusher

Post #5

Post by WinePusher »

Man EduChris, I'm definitely not as charitable as you are. In order to point out a fallacy in another persons argument, the other person must actually be arguing a case and presenting a unique idea to defend and promote.

Some Non Theists, Atheists, Agnostics, whatever they want to call themselves (as they seem very picky about nomenclature) do not debate but rather ask dumb questions repeatedly. They'll avoid claiming anything all together, and that certainly makes "debate" alot more easier for them.

So, EduChris, I disagree with you. You cannot feasibly claim that you can point out the fallacies of a group of people who do not debate in any way, shape or form, but rather try to turn debate threads into irrelevant interviews. In order for a non-theist (etc) to committ a fallacy, they have to be arguing and debating, and therein lies the irreconcilable paradox.

EduChris
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by EduChris »

WinePusher wrote:...In order to point out a fallacy in another persons argument, the other person must actually be arguing a case and presenting a unique idea to defend and promote...Some Non Theists, Atheists, Agnostics...do not debate but rather ask dumb questions repeatedly. They'll avoid claiming anything all together, and that certainly makes "debate" alot more easier for them...You cannot feasibly claim that you can point out the fallacies of a group of people who do not debate in any way, shape or form, but rather try to turn debate threads into irrelevant interviews. In order for a non-theist (etc) to committ a fallacy, they have to be arguing and debating, and therein lies the irreconcilable paradox.
I know what you're saying here, as I have experienced the same sort of disruptions; subject changes; red herrings; obfuscations; death-by-a-thousand-questions (where the only answer the non-theist seems to have is, "Whatever it is, it's certainly not God"). The common thread in all of these is an unwillingness to try to foster mutual understanding, and a desire to attack and ridicule rather than to attempt the more difficult task of learning.

Here is a link to the thread for The Fallacy of Unattempted Debate:

http://debatingchristianity.com/forum/v ... 621#373621

Please feel free to use this thread to post links to examples of such behavior, and the various response which have been offered.