Defining God

For the love of the pursuit of knowledge

Moderator: Moderators

sin_is_fun
Sage

Defining God

Post #1

Post by sin_is_fun »

I am an agnostic,but if God is there these are the characteristics which I think he should possess.

1.God will love all living beings right from plants,animals,ameoba,bacteria and human at the same level.All of us will be children to God.There is no hierarchial level in love of god.Humans will not be considered superior.

2.God will never condemn or punish anyone.Nobody will be sent to hell.Salvation will be granted to all.He will reform even the worst of sinners and give them salvation.

3.God is not going to bother about how humans lead their personal life.

4.He wouldnt expect people to worship him or love him.He would never stop loving people inspite of what they do.

5.He wouldnt establish religions in the world or send down prophets.Rather humans will create fields like philosophy and psychology to develop their lives.

This is how I see God.If God exists with these qualities I would accept him as God.

what do you all think about this definition?Do you have a diferent definition of God in your mind?what is it?

Bro Dave
Sage

Re: Defining God

Post #2

Post by Bro Dave »

sin_is_fun wrote:I am an agnostic,but if God is there these are the characteristics which I think he should possess.

1.God will love all living beings right from plants,animals,ameoba,bacteria and human at the same level.All of us will be children to God.There is no hierarchial level in love of god.Humans will not be considered superior.
Check!
2.God will never condemn or punish anyone.

Check!
Nobody will be sent to hell.
Check!
Salvation will be granted to all.

Well, lets say available to all, but not forced on them. We are allowed to opt out and cease to exist if we really insist.
He will reform even the worst of sinners and give them salvation.
Maybe “He provides every opportunity to become perfect even as He is perfect” would be a more accurate description…
3.God is not going to bother about how humans lead their personal life.
Bother? No, He doesn’t “bother” about it. He does reside within, and continually coax and encourage better choices, but no, He is not “bothered” by doing so.
4.He wouldn’t expect people to worship him or love him.
Instead of “expecting” to be loved, God, as you have suggested, simply loves us all unconditionally, and when we finally discover how much we truly are loved, we come to love Him in return.
He would never stop loving people inspite of what they do.
I think we have established this.
5.He wouldn’t establish religions in the world or send down prophets.Rather humans will create fields like philosophy and psychology to develop their lives.
Sure; Finite mortals see, and wonder at what they see. They create answers within their abilities to understand, and make religions of them. God does not create religions, His presence within, creates a yearning to know God personally, and that creates the need for religions which attempt to explain God.
This is how I see God. If God exists with these qualities I would accept him as God.
I think you have indeed already found God you just have not realized it yet.
What do you all think about this definition? Do you have a different definition of God in your mind?what is it?
Nope! This is indeed God as I know Him! ;)

Bro Dave

Bugmaster
Site Supporter

Re: Defining God

Post #3

Post by Bugmaster »

Sure, your god's as good as any other. Personally, I'd define "god" as "a supernatural, vastly powerful sentient entity"... I think that should cover the animistic gods, the Hindu gods, the Christian gods, etc.