"Under God" in Pledge of Allegiance

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

TD101
Student

"Under God" in Pledge of Allegiance

Post #1

Post by TD101 »

I saw on the news this morning that NBC showed a clip of kids reciting the Pledge of Allegiance during it's coverage of the US open. They omitted the phrase "under God." Naturally, some people are upset about this and they have issued an apology. When I was a Christian, this phrase was a big deal for me. Since I'm a fairly new non-believer, I have mixed feelings about it. Part of me sees it as tradition and harmless. The other part thinks that President Eisenhower and Congress had no business adding a religious phrase to the pledge.

So, how do you guys feel about it? Are you offended? Do you think it should be removed?

Question Everything
Sage

Post #2

Post by Question Everything »

I want it removed because I am sick of hearing how we are a Christian nation because of "under God" in the Pledge, and "IN GOD WE TRUST" on our coins.

These things look trivial, but appearances can be very deceiving.
"Oh, you can''t get through seminary and come out believing in God!"

current pastor who is a closet atheist
quoted by Daniel Dennett.

Board
Scholar

Post #3

Post by Board »

It has only been included as part of the pledge since 1954.

In God we trust did not hit coins until 1908 and was not the national motto until 1956.

McCarthyism raised this religious fervor in our nation and since they held the misconception that atheism = communism, the laws flew threw congress to promote religion in the US. It is high time we correct the problem and the misconceptions.

The problem with removing it is the defense has taken a stance of the terms meaning religious pluralism thus completely ignoring the non-religious voice. We need more non-religious to stand up and voice their concern. We desperately need non-religious representation in our government.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: "Under God" in Pledge of Allegiance

Post #4

Post by McCulloch »

My country has a similar traditional phrase. "God Save the Queen (or King)", the phrase in use from before 1390 as a greeting in the form of a blessing, usually a declaration of loyalty. Set to music, it is the official Royal Anthem (not National Anthem, that is another rather poorly written song). Similarly, our money has a less intrusive DG (an abbreviation for a Latin phrase indicating that the monarch is in her position by God's grace.) Our own Oath of Citizenship has no reference to God and the Oath of Allegiance, required for all elected, diplomatic and judicial posts, the reference to God is entirely optional. The reference to the monarch is not.

Am I offended? Yes, but I see it as only a minor offense, to be dealt with after more important things have been. I would oppose any proposed change that would make any such reference more visible or obvious. Should public and official references to various deities be removed? Yes they should. "Bless the Queen" and "Long live the Queen" would suffice.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

TD101
Student

Post #5

Post by TD101 »

Question Everything wrote:I want it removed because I am sick of hearing how we are a Christian nation because of "under God" in the Pledge, and "IN GOD WE TRUST" on our coins.
Here in the Bible belt, freedom of religion means you have the right to be Christian. I see very little tolerance for other brands. I used to be one of those that claimed we were founded as a Christian nation. ooops.

I'd also like to see some non-religious politicians. I think a lot of them that claim to be Christian really aren't. They're just afraid to alienate voters.
but I see it as only a minor offense, to be dealt with after more important things have been
I agree. The country has bigger things to worry about right now. But maybe after the economy settles down.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #6

Post by McCulloch »

TD101 wrote: The country has bigger things to worry about right now. But maybe after the economy settles down.
Or hell freezes over. Can anyone remember a time when politicians, journalists and economists were saying that the economy is currently stable?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Meow Mix
Scholar

Post #7

Post by Meow Mix »

McCulloch wrote:
TD101 wrote: The country has bigger things to worry about right now. But maybe after the economy settles down.
Or hell freezes over. Can anyone remember a time when politicians, journalists and economists were saying that the economy is currently stable?
Yeah, under Pres. Clinton in the USA when I was able to fill my gas tank for $12 (it takes ~$40 now)
"Censorship is telling a man he can`t have a steak just because a baby can`t chew it." - Unknown

SailingCyclops
Site Supporter

Re: "Under God" in Pledge of Allegiance

Post #8

Post by SailingCyclops »

TD101 wrote: So, how do you guys feel about it? Are you offended? Do you think it should be removed?
Yes, I am offended! I am offended by the whole brain-washing thing, especially of the kids.

[center][youtube][/youtube][/center]

Religion flies you into buildings, Science flies you to the moon.
If we believe absurdities, we shall commit atrocities -- Voltaire
Bless us and save us, said Mrs. O'Davis