Shana Tova!

To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Jrosemary
Sage

Shana Tova!

Post #1

Post by Jrosemary »

Wishing everyone a warm and wonderful Rosh HaShanah (Jewish New Year.) O:)

I had meant to post something about the High Holy Days: Rosh HaShanah, Yom Kippur, and the Days of Awe between them. That will have to wait till after Rosh HaShana now, though. (RH begins at sundown tonight and continues till about sundown on Sunday.)

Till then, have a wonderful weekend and take time out for some apples and honey. ;)

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #11

Post by JoeyKnothead »

Miss Jrosemary wrote: Shanah Tova?
What'd she just call me?
today24news wrote: During this holiday, Jews in the world send their warmest wishes to their family and friends such as L shana tova, Shana Tova, and Shana Tova U’Metukah. They also send honey cake that symbolizes a sweet new year. L shana tova is short form of “L’Shanah Tovah Techatemu VeTikatevu� that means “May You Be Inscribed and Sealed (in the Book of Life) for a Good Year.� Shana Tova is the usual greeting on Rosh Hashanah, that meaning in Hebrew is “A Good Year.� “Shana Tova U’Metukah� is also used as greetings by people which means “good and sweet year.�
Well that's awful nice, and "Shanah Tova" to all y'all!
today24news wrote: Rosh Hashanah holiday is a special time for the Jewish people in the year. Even individuals in the utmost arrives of the religion, in southern Africa also celebrates the holiday. During the holiday, thousands of Poles are also potential to rediscover their Jewishness. The holiday is also memories all of the Jewish people who lost their live defending the religion.
Seems to me the celebration is a sort of great big giant birthday celebration for Jews. Congratulations for making it through another year, all y'all.
today24news wrote: During the Rosh Hashanah period, all Jews meditate their lives and events, and try to recognize the mistakes which they have committed in the past year. Usually, Jews wrote down the sins that they had committed on pieces of paper and floated on water. But nowadays, the paper use has been refused by reason of ecological problems and so now people use bread instead of paper.
Jews, practical as ever - and showing a clear love of the planet. Count me in.
today24news wrote: This year marks the 5771 year since the world came into existence, according to the Jewish beliefs and traditions. On sunset September 8, 2010, the Rosh Hashanah has begun and continues till nightfall September 10, 2010. Every year the holiday falls on first day of Tishrei and ends on second day of Tishrei.
Tishrei?
Wikipedia: Tishrei wrote: Tishrei (or Tishri) (IPA: [ˈtɪʃri] or [ˈtɪʃreɪ]) (Hebrew: תִּשְ�רֵי (תִּשְ�רִי‎) Standard Tišre (Tišri) Tiberian Tišrê (Tišrî) ; from Akkadian tašrītu "Beginning", from šurrû "To begin") is the first month of the civil year (which starts on 1 Tishrei) and the seventh month of the ecclesiastical year (which starts on 1 Nisan) in the Hebrew calendar.
1 Tishrei - Adam & Eve were created

* On Tishrei 1, which corresponds to the sixth day of creation -- "God said: 'Let us make Man in Our image, after Our likeness; and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the birds of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth...'" (Genesis 1:26).
1 Tishrei - First Sin & Repentance

* On the same day man was created, man also committed the first sin of history, transgressing the divine commandment not to eat from the "Tree of Knowledge of Good and Evil". Adam and Eve were banished from the Garden of Eden, and humanity became subject to death, labor and moral confusion. But also on that day, the first persons also repented their sin, introducing the concept and opportunities of teshuvah ("return").
1 Tishrei - (2105 BCE) - Dove's 3rd Mission

* On the 1st of Tishrei, (the 307th day of the Great Flood), Noah dispatched a dove from the ark, for the third time. When the dove returned carrying an olive branch, this is how Noah knew that the flood was drained from the earth. On that day, Noah removed the roof of the ark; but Noah and his family, and all the animals, remained in the ark for another 57 days, until the 27th of Cheshvan, when the surface of the earth was completely dry and God commanded them to leave the ark and resettle and repopulate the earth.
1 Tishrei - (1677 BCE) - Binding of Isaac; Sarah's Death

* Abraham's test of faith—his binding of Isaac in preparation to sacrifice him as per God's command, occurred on the 1st of Tishrei of the Hebrew year 2084 (1677 BCE), and is recalled each Rosh Hashanah with the sounding of the shofar (ram's horn, for the reason that a ram was sacrificed in Isaac's place when an angel revealed that the command to sacrifice Isaac was a divine test)...
1 Tishrei - (1923) - Daf Yomi

* The "Daf Yomi" a daily regimen of Talmud study (in which the participant studies one folio a day to complete the entire Talmud in seven years) initiated by Rabbi Meir Shapiro of Lublin, was launched on Rosh Hashanah of 1923.
Pick one, any one, and there's reason to celebrate.

I like y'all Jewish folks, but I gotta say, y'all sure do talk funny :)
I might be Teddy Roosevelt, but I ain't.
-Punkinhead Martin

Jrosemary
Sage

Post #12

Post by Jrosemary »

Gut yontiff, Joey!

(How's that for talking funny? :confused2: But don't worry--after your first few times in shul, you'll pick up the lingo. )

Beautiful post, and a well-researched explanation of Rosh HaShanah. Now I'm getting ready for Yom Kippur--it's a 25 hour fast, so since I have a couple of hours before it starts, I'm indulging in some foods that I usually try to avoid. (Ben & Jerry's, here I come!)

May you be sealed for a good year,

Rose

Jrosemary
Sage

Post #13

Post by Jrosemary »

It's that time of year again: Rosh HaShanah starts tonight. O:)

Shanah Tovah, everyone! May we all be sealed for a good, sweet year.

(I'm passing out virtual apples and honey!)