To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Poll of Jerusalem Arabs

Post #1

Post by JoeyKnothead »

I felt compelled to place this under the Judaism sub in case someone is looking specifically at Jewish / Israeli issues...

With 39%, I think their headline may be misleading, but here we go...
ynetnews.com wrote: Poll: Jerusalem Arabs prefer Israel

US poll: 39% of east Jerusalem Arabs prefer to live under Israeli sovereignty; 30% didn't answer

WASHINGTON – The future of Jerusalem is considered one of the core issues in Israeli-Palestinian negotiations and one of the most significant obstacles to a permanent agreement between the two sides. However, it appears that on the Palestinian side, those who live in Jerusalem have already made their decision on the matter – and the Palestinian Authority leadership in Ramallah may not like it.
The poll, which comprised the residents of east Jerusalem's 19 Arab neighborhoods, also pointed out that their opposition to Jerusalem's division is so intense that they would rather move to a new home within Israel's borders rather than live under the authority of a Palestinian state.

The study also showed that Jerusalem's Palestinian residents were interested in keeping their Israeli Identity cards and enjoying the State's health and social benefits. Some 35% of them said that Israeli citizenship is their preferred citizenship and only 30% chose to be citizens of the future Palestinian state. An additional 30% said that they didn't know, or preferred not to answer the question.

And what would the neighbors say? When asked "if most people in your neighborhood� would prefer to become citizens of Palestine or of Israel: 31% estimated that most people prefer Palestinian citizenship; 39% estimated that most people prefer Israeli citizenship; and 30% declined to answer or said they didn’t know.
Isreal, it would seem from this probably non-scientific poll, could well be preferred over an Arab setting.

Murad
Guru

Post #2

Post by Murad »

Heres my 0.02

39% Arabs in "East- Jerusalem"
I wonder if some of the "Arabs" in the Poll were Jewish.

Thats nothing big really, thats like a very small fraction of the Palestinians & less than half of the Palestinians taken in just that specific region.

Also, Security in East Jerusalem is not like it is in other parts of Palestine, theres tight Israeli military presence, so basically, it would be like asking the arabs that live in Israel, on whether they prefer to live in Palestine. The answer would be an obvious no, because lets be honest, the Palestinian Government cant provide anything, expecially under the occupation, while the Israeli Government can & it does. Theres unrest in Palestine, the illegal occupation has brewed terrorists which make the Palestinian population feel frightened. While in Israel, its mostly safe & its citizens are well protected. Thus, if i was in the Palestinian region, for my safety, i too would prefer to live under Israeli sovereignty, but only because of the unsafe conditions the illegal occupation has created, that is absolutely the only reason.
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

JoeyKnothead
Banned
Banned

Post #3

Post by JoeyKnothead »

From Post 2:

Murad, I 'preciate your alternate take on the issue, and consider it reasoned and worthy of thought. It's always good to hear a different perspective, and I'll try to incorporate this information into my thinking.

Jrosemary
Sage

Post #4

Post by Jrosemary »

Thanks for posting this Joey, and for your viewpoint, Murad. Here's hoping for a peace settlement that takes the views of all concerned into account.

Adstar
Under Probation

Re: Poll of Jerusalem Arabs

Post #5

Post by Adstar »

JoeyKnothead wrote:I felt compelled to place this under the Judaism sub in case someone is looking specifically at Jewish / Israeli issues...

With 39%, I think their headline may be misleading, but here we go...
ynetnews.com wrote: Poll: Jerusalem Arabs prefer Israel

US poll: 39% of east Jerusalem Arabs prefer to live under Israeli sovereignty; 30% didn't answer

WASHINGTON – The future of Jerusalem is considered one of the core issues in Israeli-Palestinian negotiations and one of the most significant obstacles to a permanent agreement between the two sides. However, it appears that on the Palestinian side, those who live in Jerusalem have already made their decision on the matter – and the Palestinian Authority leadership in Ramallah may not like it.
The poll, which comprised the residents of east Jerusalem's 19 Arab neighborhoods, also pointed out that their opposition to Jerusalem's division is so intense that they would rather move to a new home within Israel's borders rather than live under the authority of a Palestinian state.

The study also showed that Jerusalem's Palestinian residents were interested in keeping their Israeli Identity cards and enjoying the State's health and social benefits. Some 35% of them said that Israeli citizenship is their preferred citizenship and only 30% chose to be citizens of the future Palestinian state. An additional 30% said that they didn't know, or preferred not to answer the question.

And what would the neighbors say? When asked "if most people in your neighborhood� would prefer to become citizens of Palestine or of Israel: 31% estimated that most people prefer Palestinian citizenship; 39% estimated that most people prefer Israeli citizenship; and 30% declined to answer or said they didn’t know.
Isreal, it would seem from this probably non-scientific poll, could well be preferred over an Arab setting.
I would say it would be quite reasonable for them to state they prefer to live in Israel and have Israeli citizenship.

But this is different to them actually supporting the state of Israel. They can both prefer to live in Israel under the current conditions and also hope for the end of the state of Israel.

An arab living in Israel with access to the services of the state of Israel would have a far better standard of day to day living then lets say an arab in the Gaza strip or the west bank.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

arian
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by arian »

Murad wrote:Heres my 0.02

39% Arabs in "East- Jerusalem"
I wonder if some of the "Arabs" in the Poll were Jewish.

Thats nothing big really, thats like a very small fraction of the Palestinians & less than half of the Palestinians taken in just that specific region.

Also, Security in East Jerusalem is not like it is in other parts of Palestine, theres tight Israeli military presence, so basically, it would be like asking the arabs that live in Israel, on whether they prefer to live in Palestine. The answer would be an obvious no, because lets be honest, the Palestinian Government cant provide anything, expecially under the occupation, while the Israeli Government can & it does. Theres unrest in Palestine, the illegal occupation has brewed terrorists which make the Palestinian population feel frightened. While in Israel, its mostly safe & its citizens are well protected. Thus, if i was in the Palestinian region, for my safety, i too would prefer to live under Israeli sovereignty, but only because of the unsafe conditions the illegal occupation has created, that is absolutely the only reason.
Murad wrote:While in Israel, its mostly safe & its citizens are well protected. Thus, if i was in the Palestinian region, for my safety, i too would prefer to live under Israeli sovereignty, but only because of the unsafe conditions the illegal occupation has created, that is absolutely the only reason
That is like saying that I a Christian would leave my persecuted Brothers in Christ and move to my enemies cities for safety and comfort while they stayed and suffered under this enemies occupation.
I would be honored to suffer and even die in persecution for my God along with my fellow Brothers and Sisters in Christ.

May God bless you all.

Murad
Guru

Post #7

Post by Murad »

arian wrote: That is like saying that I a Christian would leave my persecuted Brothers in Christ and move to my enemies cities for safety and comfort while they stayed and suffered under this enemies occupation.
There is a time & place for war, i would rather have my family & loved ones live in peace than under constant artillery shelling. However, that being said, i would without a second thought die for the Islamic cause in a noble "military war" rather than guerilla warfare that disregards civilian lives.
"Every soul shall have taste of death; In the end to us shall ye be brought back
(Quran - The Spider 29:57)
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Malachi-Zede-El
Banned
Banned

Post #8

Post by Malachi-Zede-El »

Murad wrote:
arian wrote: That is like saying that I a Christian would leave my persecuted Brothers in Christ and move to my enemies cities for safety and comfort while they stayed and suffered under this enemies occupation.
There is a time & place for war, i would rather have my family & loved ones live in peace than under constant artillery shelling. However, that being said, i would without a second thought die for the Islamic cause in a noble "military war" rather than guerilla warfare that disregards civilian lives.
"Every soul shall have taste of death; In the end to us shall ye be brought back

Holy Qur'aan Chapter 29 , ( Al Ankabuwt - The Spider ) Revealed In The Year 620 - 621 A.D. Speaks of The frailest of all houses is The Ankabuwt ~ Muhammad is told , To Recite that which was inpired to him ~ Muhammad is told , Not to argue with the Jacobites , And their Heavenly Father Verse 41 - 69 .