Jewish Prayers

To discuss Jewish topics and issues

Moderator: Moderators

Murad
Guru

Jewish Prayers

Post #1

Post by Murad »

I know muslims are allowed to pray at synagogues, numerous youtube vids (by Jews) that i've come across (e.g This), say Jews can pray at a mosque but not at a church.

Is it true Jews can pray at mosques but not at churches?
Why?
Do the people think that they will be left to say, "We believe" without being put to the test?
We have tested those before them, for GOD must distinguish those who are truthful, and He must expose the liars.

(Quran 29:2-3)

----
Why Jesus is NOT God
---

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: Jewish Prayers

Post #2

Post by Goat »

Murad wrote:I know muslims are allowed to pray at synagogues, numerous youtube vids (by Jews) that i've come across (e.g This), say Jews can pray at a mosque but not at a church.

Is it true Jews can pray at mosques but not at churches?
Why?
I personally have never heard such a thing. While that does not rule out some group or other declaring that, it has not been a concern to Reform Judaism at least.
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

cnorman18

Post #3

Post by cnorman18 »

I had read somewhere that Jews were not to enter churches, never mind pray in them, but that that prohibition had long since been abandoned. After digging around a bit, I find that some, at least, Orthodox still hold to that tradition, on the ground that Christians worship a different God, i.e., the Trinity; but since Muslims worship the One God, that it's OK to enter and pray in a mosque. Since it's my understanding that even Orthodox authorities accept that Christianity is monotheistic nowadays, I doubt that there are many Jews, other than the extreme Haredi Orthodox types, who still hold to this.

It strikes me as weird and kind of arrogant -- presuming to define other people's beliefs for them, which I find incredibly wrong -- but then we Jews have our extreme fundamentalist types too.

arian
Banned
Banned

Post #4

Post by arian »

cnorman18 wrote:I had read somewhere that Jews were not to enter churches, never mind pray in them, but that that prohibition had long since been abandoned. After digging around a bit, I find that some, at least, Orthodox still hold to that tradition, on the ground that Christians worship a different God, i.e., the Trinity; but since Muslims worship the One God, that it's OK to enter and pray in a mosque. Since it's my understanding that even Orthodox authorities accept that Christianity is monotheistic nowadays, I doubt that there are many Jews, other than the extreme Haredi Orthodox types, who still hold to this.

It strikes me as weird and kind of arrogant -- presuming to define other people's beliefs for them, which I find incredibly wrong -- but then we Jews have our extreme fundamentalist types too.
on the ground that Christians worship a different God, i.e., the Trinity
Who says Christianity worships a different God then the Jews or Arabs-the children of Abraham and Ishmael? I am a Christian and I do not worship no trinity 'three-gods-in-one' like the one interpreted by the Pope and most of these TBN so-called Christians.

I ask you now, if I was to say that I'm Muslim and built a huge Mosque and preach against Allah, would I be considered a Muslim?

No.

Neither is anyone who takes and blasphemes the One and Only God our Great "I Am" and makes Him into three demy-gods can be called a true Christian. God is ONE and He will deal with those who blaspheme His Holy name "I Am" or deny His Only Begotten Son Jesus the Christ and call him God.

Jesus made it perfectly clear who He was, He said: "My Father sent me, .. He is my God and your God, my Father and your Father.." and no doctrine of men can ever change that fact.

May God bless us all.

Jrosemary
Sage

Post #5

Post by Jrosemary »

arian wrote:Neither is anyone who takes and blasphemes the One and Only God our Great "I Am" and makes Him into three demy-gods can be called a true Christian. God is ONE and He will deal with those who blaspheme His Holy name "I Am" or deny His Only Begotten Son Jesus the Christ and call him God.

Jesus made it perfectly clear who He was, He said: "My Father sent me, .. He is my God and your God, my Father and your Father.." and no doctrine of men can ever change that fact.
:warning: Moderator Warning
This post is an unacceptable, unsubstantiated attack on Christians who believe in the Trinity. It is especially inappropriate in the Judaism subforum, which exists to discuss and debate Jewish issues, not to attack other religions. If you wish to debate the Trinity, please make a civil, reasoned argument in an appropriate subforum. Please review our Rules.

Moderator warnings count as a strike against users. Additional violations in the future may warrant a final warning. Any challenges or replies to moderator postings should be made via Private Message to avoid derailing topics.

alex00ander
Banned
Banned

Post #6

Post by alex00ander »

arian wrote:
cnorman18 wrote:I had read somewhere that Jews were not to enter churches, never mind pray in them, but that that prohibition had long since been abandoned. After digging around a bit, I find that some, at least, Orthodox still hold to that tradition, on the ground that Christians worship a different God, i.e., the Trinity; but since Muslims worship the One God, that it's OK to enter and pray in a mosque. Since it's my understanding that even Orthodox authorities accept that Christianity is monotheistic nowadays, I doubt that there are many Jews, other than the extreme Haredi Orthodox types, who still hold to this.

Who says Christianity worships a different God then the Jews or Arabs-the children of Abraham and Ishmael? I am a Christian and I do not worship no trinity 'three-gods-in-one' like the one interpreted by the Pope and most of these TBN so-called Christians.

I ask you now, if I was to say that I'm Muslim and built a huge Mosque and preach against Allah, would I be considered a Muslim?

No.

Neither is anyone who takes and blasphemes the One and Only God our Great "I Am" and makes Him into three demy-gods can be called a true Christian. God is ONE and He will deal with those who blaspheme His Holy name "I Am" or deny His Only Begotten Son Jesus the Christ and call him God.

May God bless us all.
I agree with everything you have written in your comment. The trinity does not seem to follow monotheistic principles. But if the majority of Christians believe in the Trinity maybe the problem is with Christianity and not individual Christians.

http://www.matanot365.co.il/

arian
Banned
Banned

Post #7

Post by arian »

alex00ander wrote:
arian wrote:

No.

May God bless us all.
I agree with everything you have written in your comment. The trinity does not seem to follow monotheistic principles. But if the majority of Christians believe in the Trinity maybe the problem is with Christianity and not individual Christians.

http://www.matanot365.co.il/
Since this is a very protected and fragile Jewish forum where only Jewish matters are allowed to be discussed, I cannot answer that here in fear of being put under probation, ... never mind, ... too late.

Meanwhile the atheists, agnostics and the like are allowed to streach their legs on the other more Christian-related forums, monitored by the same people??

Oh well,.... I don't complain.

cnorman18

Post #8

Post by cnorman18 »

Like I said more than a year ago; it's incredibly rude and arrogant, and wrong, to presume to define other people's beliefs for them. As a former Christian, I can assure you that Christians do not regard the Trinity as three separate gods, and even the sages and rabbis of old concluded that Christians could not be properly accused of polytheism. The fact that you (or anyone else) don't understand a given point of belief, or disagree with it, doesn't automatically render it evil and heretical.

The Jewish attitude is -- if someone's belief doesn't match your own, it's no business of yours anyway. Just leave them alone. Would that everyone had such a benign attitude and approach. In my experience, religious approaches that are more about condemnation, rather than compassion or justice, tend to drive people away and produce more conflict and hatred than anything else. But, again, maybe that's just me.

Oh -- and this subforum IS about Judaism, not Christianity. That's why it's called "Judaism."

otseng
Savant

Post #9

Post by otseng »

arian wrote: Since this is a very protected and fragile Jewish forum where only Jewish matters are allowed to be discussed, I cannot answer that here in fear of being put under probation, ... never mind, ... too late.
Moderator Comment

Snippy remarks are not advised for people on probation. Be forewarned that you are one step away from banishment.

Please review the Rules.

Moderator comments do not count as a strike against any posters. They only serve as an acknowledgment that a post report has been received, but has not been judged to warrant a moderator warning against a particular poster.

Holyspirit213
Banned
Banned

Post #10

Post by Holyspirit213 »

Jews can pray at alters only because at the time of their suffering god instructed to do so wisely due to the attacks of the wild back in the hay day.