How important is the truth to you?

What would you do if?

Moderator: Moderators

lionel1020
Student

How important is the truth to you?

Post #1

Post by lionel1020 »

Ok you have use of a time machine, :) you go back to the time of Jesus only to find that all the stories are completely untrue, :o shocked you travel further back, check out the Noah's Ark, the parting of the red sea anything and everything you can think of, none of it is true. :( Some of the people exist but not in the way the bible portrays. You move forward in time to find a scribe rewriting the bible to suit his wishes. :roll:
Jews and Muslims the same scenario check out Abraham and the Prophet Muhammad none of it is true. :confused2:
Ok you are disappointed :( however ....When you get back would you tell anyone the truth? :-k

PS I didn't address the atheists here as I figure they will be too busy filming the events, taking statements and conducting interviews. :D

TheBlackPhilosophy
Apprentice

Re: How important is the truth to you?

Post #2

Post by TheBlackPhilosophy »

lionel1020 wrote:Ok you have use of a time machine, :) you go back to the time of Jesus only to find that all the stories are completely untrue, :o shocked you travel further back, check out the Noah's Ark, the parting of the red sea anything and everything you can think of, none of it is true. :( Some of the people exist but not in the way the bible portrays. You move forward in time to find a scribe rewriting the bible to suit his wishes. :roll:
Jews and Muslims the same scenario check out Abraham and the Prophet Muhammad none of it is true. :confused2:
Ok you are disappointed :( however ....When you get back would you tell anyone the truth? :-k

PS I didn't address the atheists here as I figure they will be too busy filming the events, taking statements and conducting interviews. :D
No...because no one would believe me. Not only that, but I would be seen as a nut-job. Besides, I don't need a time machine to disprove the bible; in the left corner, I have logic, and in the right I have empirical proof.

And they still don't believe us. :-k

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #3

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

No, because anyone who would of done something like that in those days would of swiftly been killed. All you would hear is 'BLASPHEMY!'' while seeing stars and hearing/feeling the thump of being hit on the head by a rather large stick, and this is while you're trying to finish explaining your claims.

Instead, I'd go far into the future to see if the belief in religion made the world self destruct or become unbaeribly strict. If it did then I'd go back in time, kill the writers of those books before they write it and see if things turn out better. If not I'd go and let them live while thinking hard over the drawing board.

His Name Is John
Site Supporter

Post #4

Post by His Name Is John »

Its an interesting question. I think I might stay quiet as I don't know how much good it would do, but then again I am not entirely sure.

Interesting ethical dilemma, although purely hypothetical.

TheViral

Post #5

Post by TheViral »

"truth is the first casualty of war"

this quote immediately came to me when I saw the last sentence, yes as an atheist I would more likely be fist bumping the air in celebration but this hypothetical situation doesnt deviate from the truth, history is written by the victors and when your teachings tell you that love is the way forward following mankind progression through groups rather than an individual claiming tp have caused evolution. its like saying that If I had killed someone and was a christian and an atheist had saved someones life the person you would rather create the basis for the next step in humanity is blatantly the innocent atheist. so in conclusion the deception created by the people who lied about the happenings of religion did so for a reason and with hindsight it is proven hat religion is a stage of evolution and the teachings of love can be understood under the concept (albeit a lie from the start) that we created.

In short if it meant that the future was to become inhabitable by this revealing evidence of this nature then I believe that it should stay that way

d.song.149

Post #6

Post by d.song.149 »

lionel1020 wrote:Ok you have use of a time machine, :) you go back to the time of Jesus only to find that all the stories are completely untrue, :o shocked you travel further back, check out the Noah's Ark, the parting of the red sea anything and everything you can think of, none of it is true. :( Some of the people exist but not in the way the bible portrays. You move forward in time to find a scribe rewriting the bible to suit his wishes. :roll:

I'm not a Christian, so I don't know what they would do. But as an atheist, if the opposite happened(so if everything from the bible IS true) I would convert. The reason I'm an atheist is because there isn't enough proof, and it doesn't seem like the God exist. If I can actually see a proof, I would definitely convert to Christianity.

Tiberius47
Apprentice

Post #7

Post by Tiberius47 »

As an atheist, truth is everything to me. If I was to find out something that had evidence to convince me that it was truth, I would accept it, even if it required me to admit that everything I had believed up until that point was wrong.

janavoss
Apprentice

Post #8

Post by janavoss »

lionel1020 wrote:Ok you have use of a time machine, you go back to the time of Jesus only to find that all the stories are completely untrue, shocked you travel further back, check out the Noah's Ark, the parting of the red sea anything and everything you can think of, none of it is true. Some of the people exist but not in the way the bible portrays. You move forward in time to find a scribe rewriting the bible to suit his wishes.
Jews and Muslims the same scenario check out Abraham and the Prophet Muhammad none of it is true.
Ok you are disappointed however ....When you get back would you tell anyone the truth?
If I had some way to convince other people that I really did travel back in time and see all of this, yes of course I would tell people the truth. If I didn't...well, I might still tell some people, those who would have reasons to trust what I say. But I bet others would think I was crazy or something, so no, I probably wouldn't try with them.
Either way, *I* would know the truth, so I would cease to be a Christian. It wouldn't matter to me what anyone else thought about it if I knew the truth. I would not play along with something I knew to be false just to appease family, friends or society.
This is really very similar to my situation as a Christian - I know the truth within myself, I have seen and experienced and learned enough to be convinced that what I believe is true. Can I prove it to anyone else? Well, for those people who have reasons to trust what I say and do, perhaps they might be convinced for themselves as well. To others I am just crazy or something. I have no way to prove anything, other than my own experiences. But I don't really care what anyone else thinks about it since I am convinced of the truth.