Moderator: Moderators

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Chag Pesach Sameach

Post #1

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

A happy festival to all

And to all a Gut Pesach Shabbos
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

bluethread
Savant

Post #2

Post by bluethread »

Matzah lasagna, to you. :oldhat: I hope you are not glatt. Otherwise, no offense intended.

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #3

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

bluethread wrote:Matzah lasagna, to you. :oldhat: I hope you are not glatt. Otherwise, no offense intended.
Huh? :confused2:

bluethread
Savant

Post #4

Post by bluethread »

Jayhawker Soule wrote:
bluethread wrote:Matzah lasagna, to you. :oldhat: I hope you are not glatt. Otherwise, no offense intended.
Matzah lasagna: layered matzah, meat, cheese and tomato sauce. Glatt: Sephardic kosher related to the proper preparation of meat. Sometimes used to refer to kosher based on interpretation.

Jayhawker Soule
Sage

Post #5

Post by Jayhawker Soule »

bluethread wrote:
Jayhawker Soule wrote:
Matzah lasagna: layered matzah, meat, cheese and tomato sauce. Glatt: Sephardic kosher related to the proper preparation of meat. Sometimes used to refer to kosher based on interpretation.
Thanks. It's just that ...
  1. I have never heard the term glatt used for anything other than kosher meat, and
  2. vegetarian lasagna is a kosher staple at many dairy restaurants.
But thanks for the sentiment. :)

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #6

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

Not only am I not glatt, I am not even Jewish. But my roomie girlfriend is. She was raised Conservative but is now secular. The closest she comes to practicing Judaism is a menorah in the window at Hannukah. I put up a 'Christmas' tree but it means bupkes. ;)
Dogmatism and skepticism are both, in a sense, absolute philosophies; one is certain of knowing, the other of not knowing. What philosophy should dissipate is certainty, whether of knowledge or ignorance.
- Bertrand Russell

bluethread
Savant

Post #7

Post by bluethread »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
She lights the menorah for Hannukah, but not for Pesach, Yom Kippur and Sukkot?
Well, I guess that matches the "christmas tree christians" in observing a tradition while ignoring the belief system that gave rise to that tradition. So, you were not saying you are going to observe Pesach, but just acknowledging that some of us are. So, I am glad that my levity was not out of order(pun intended).

ThatGirlAgain
Prodigy

Post #8

Post by ThatGirlAgain »

bluethread wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
She lights the menorah for Hannukah
... but not for Pesach, Yom Kippur and Sukkot?

Well, I guess that matches the "christmas tree christians" in observing a tradition while ignoring the belief system that gave rise to that tradition. So, you were not saying you are going to observe Pesach, but just acknowledging that some of us are. So, I am glad that my levity was not out of order.
I do not ignore the christian tradition. I am here, aren't I? :)

Annie lights the menorah for Hannukah because it is a good thing to have a joyful celebration in the dead of winter. This is the same reason I put up a christmas tree. Our landlord does the Santa thing. Some people do elaborate Nativity scenes. Some people do the Kwanzaa thing. Some people just put up a string of lights or a snowflake decoration.

This is New York City, united in diversity. 8-)
- Bertrand Russell

bluethread
Savant

Post #9

Post by bluethread »

ThatGirlAgain wrote:
bluethread wrote:
ThatGirlAgain wrote:
She lights the menorah for Hannukah, but not for Pesach, Yom Kippur and Sukkot?
Well, I guess that matches the "christmas tree christians" in observing a tradition while ignoring the belief system that gave rise to that tradition. So, you were not saying you are going to observe Pesach, but just acknowledging that some of us are. So, I am glad that my levity was not out of order.
I do not ignore the christian tradition. I am here, aren't I? :)

Annie lights the menorah for Hannukah because it is a good thing to have a joyful celebration in the dead of winter. This is the same reason I put up a christmas tree. Our landlord does the Santa thing. Some people do elaborate Nativity scenes. Some people do the Kwanzaa thing. Some people just put up a string of lights or a snowflake decoration.

This is New York City, united in diversity. 8-)
I didn't say you were a "christmas tree christian". I was just thinking out load about a justification for only lighting the menorah on Hannukah.