Pharmacist refuses to fill emergeny contraceptive script

Current issues and things in the news

Moderator: Moderators

aprilannies
Student

Pharmacist refuses to fill emergeny contraceptive script

Post #1

Post by aprilannies »

A Target pharmacist refused to fill a script for an emergency contraceptive, which has launched an assault by Planned Parenthood and other similar organizations to determine Target's policy regarding BC and emergency contraceptive. (http://www.ppaction.org/campaign/fillmy ... g34v5miee7)

Should the pharmacist be fired? Can he legally be fired?

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #11

Post by McCulloch »

Vladd44 wrote:No doubt about it, he agreed to do a job that he didnt do. Fire him.

He has every right to refuse, and Target has every right to fire him for it. When taking a stand on what you perceive as principles you cannot expect to avoid consequences for your actions.

And if the person being fired is a Christian they should rejoice and not protest. For didn't the founder of the Christian religion say,
  • Blessed are you when people reproach you, persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven. For that is how they persecuted the prophets who were before you. ... But I tell you, don’t resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. If anyone sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and don’t turn away him who desires to borrow from you.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

harvey1
Prodigy

Re: Pharmacist refuses to fill emergeny contraceptive script

Post #12

Post by harvey1 »

aprilannies wrote:Should the pharmacist be fired? Can he legally be fired?
Yes. A pharmacist should be required to fill a prescription unless a law would be broken, or the pharmacist has good reason to believe that a law will be broken. Find a different career or negotiate your conditions of employment (including potential drugs down the line) that you would not fill if those situations occurred.

keltzkroz
Apprentice

Post #13

Post by keltzkroz »

How long has birth control been available?
I know the ancient Chinese had birth control pills very early on, though it must have been around even longer.

steen
Scholar

Post #14

Post by steen »

Walgreen now is also going after some of their pharmacists in IL for violating state law per their refusal to fill prescriptions.

It they can't fullfill their job description, they need to work in a different field.
Geology: fossils of different ages
Paleontology: fossil sequence & species change over time.
Taxonomy: biological relationships
Evolution: explanation that ties it all together.
Creationism: squeezing eyes shut, wailing "DOES NOT!"

atheist_infidel0304
Student

Post #15

Post by atheist_infidel0304 »

It they can't fullfill their job description, they need to work in a different field.
To me, if you were to become a pharmacist, you would have considered as to whether or not you would find yourself to be in such a predicament in the first place. Not only that, but it would also strike me as being painfully obvious that after thinking of such a situation, that you would want to own your own business, or work for one that reflects your values, rather than a large corporate chain. It makes you wonder if the people who object to filling these prescriptions are just out to pick a fight.

Ami
Apprentice

Post #16

Post by Ami »

To me, if you were to become a pharmacist, you would have considered as to whether or not you would find yourself to be in such a predicament in the first place.
Agreed, although there are many predicaments people might find themselves in that they might have had no way of forseeing.

Although it is obvious that pharmacies sell contraceptives and should have been forseen. Personally, I don't see it as that big a hassle. Even if didn't believe in contraception. I have myself in the past had to use the pill, but not as a contraceptive; rather as a form of hormonal control which the doctor ordered.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #17

Post by Cephus »

keltzkroz wrote:I'm assuming that this is about the pharmacist. Will it matter if the person applied for and got the job before pharmaceutical companies made this drug or started doing something which he thinks contradicts his values?
That's irrelevant. If his job calls for him to give out birth control now, then he either does his job or he finds another line of work. He does not get to decide that his wishes supercede his employer's.
How about doctors who refuse to do abortions? Is this related?
If you're a certain type of doctor, yes. However, there are many kinds of doctor that one can be without having anything to do with abortion.

But if you go to work in an abortion clinic, then yes, you can and should be fired for refusing to do your job.

snappyanswer
Student

Post #18

Post by snappyanswer »

McCulloch's point is awfully strong. Also naming what and who is evil and what and who is not, is also applicable.

The pharmacist should give the meds and the address of a good Church to the fornicating man or woman before them. Bringing the same message as the founder of their religion.
And if the person being fired is a Christian they should rejoice and not protest. For didn't the founder of the Christian religion say,
Blessed are you when people reproach you, persecute you, and say all kinds of evil against you falsely, for my sake. Rejoice, and be exceedingly glad, for great is your reward in heaven. For that is how they persecuted the prophets who were before you. ... But I tell you, don’t resist him who is evil; but whoever strikes you on your right cheek, turn to him the other also. If anyone sues you to take away your coat, let him have your cloak also. Whoever compels you to go one mile, go with him two. Give to him who asks you, and don’t turn away him who desires to borrow from you.