My Theory On Why Some People Become Atheist's

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

discus70
Scholar

My Theory On Why Some People Become Atheist's

Post #1

Post by discus70 »

The Atheists I have come across have this tendency to be extremely literal. Everything must be dissected and looked upon through a microscope.

My theory is, if most atheists have a tendency to be these literal and precise creatures, then it would be virtually impossible for them to take any religious text with a literal meaning. Once this occurs it leads that individual to question, question leads to doubt and doubt leads to other possible ways. While searching for other possibilities they end up the same answer, so on and so forth. The individual now comes to the conclusion that its not very logical to believe in a supernatural higher power.

Note. This does not apply for all atheist.

What do you guys and gals think. Also take into consideration that this is just a thought, there are no intentions behind it other then debate and conversation.

Could this literal view that some people have be a likely cause for lots of people
to become atheists?

dusk
Sage

Post #21

Post by dusk »

I would think one important thing that builds doubt is just the knowledge of different religions and believe systems. Especially if you aren't literal the knowledge about different interpretations and different scriptures just gets you to a point where the dependability on the scripture of your parents shrinks to some equal level.
From that point on one is starts being more skeptic.
I don't think being literal is rarely the problem. I didn't grow up among fundamentalist Christians in US but in Europe there aren't many who take it all that literal and thus it is not all that great an attack point. The few that exist rarely open their mouth or ever talk about it.
After one is somewhat skeptic it usually are the very simple and obvious reasons that nobody ever gives halfway decent answers for. Like why is their so little fairness, so much illness that the people don't deserve.
I think in Europe it is mostly skepticism and the fact that the big religions just don't make enough sense to be believable.
Literalism is probably more the reason if you come from a very devoted community.

Jake
Apprentice

Post #22

Post by Jake »

Atheism is the default position. Babies are born as atheists. Theism is the belief in the existence of a god or gods, and atheism is simply a lack of theism. So when babies are born, they don't know much about the world. They are taught about things like trees and animals and stars, etc. But they are offered proof of these things. If they are taught to be theists, they aren't offered any proof of a god or gods, because none exists. So I am an atheist because I haven't seen any proof of a god or gods. It's not because I think there are definitely no gods.

That's why I became an atheist, and I would think that's why most people do.