wicca

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

rosey
Apprentice

wicca

Post #1

Post by rosey »

I have a few friends who practice wicca, and it's really caught my eye. So I was wondering if I can practice it and still be a legitimate atheist? :-k

Goat
Site Supporter

Re: wicca

Post #2

Post by Goat »

rosey wrote:I have a few friends who practice wicca, and it's really caught my eye. So I was wondering if I can practice it and still be a legitimate atheist? :-k
Sure.. if you don't think there is a supernatural deity that created the world. And if not, as long as you find the practice emotionally satisfying, who cares if you are a ' legitimate atheist' or not?
“What do you think science is? There is nothing magical about science. It is simply a systematic way for carefully and thoroughly observing nature and using consistent logic to evaluate results. So which part of that exactly do you disagree with? Do you disagree with being thorough? Using careful observation? Being systematic? Or using consistent logic?�

Steven Novella

rosey
Apprentice

Post #3

Post by rosey »

Goat wrote:
rosey wrote:I have a few friends who practice wicca, and it's really caught my eye. So I was wondering if I can practice it and still be a legitimate atheist? :-k
Sure.. if you don't think there is a supernatural deity that created the world. And if not, as long as you find the practice emotionally satisfying, who cares if you are a ' legitimate atheist' or not?
OK... but what I guess what I'm asking is can i really believe that they're doing real spells?

Polyatheist
Apprentice

Post #4

Post by Polyatheist »

rosey wrote:
OK... but what I guess what I'm asking is can i really believe that they're doing real spells?
Your free to believe whatever you want, if you want to believe in the supernatural and still be an Atheist go for it. You can give yourself as many titles and believe in whatever you want without having to defend yourself at all. If you care about other people thinking your rational or logical however, I would suggest against that line of thought.

I can tell you they are not casting spells as that would require quantum manipulation of reality using only the very limited human brain. I have some wicca friends and from my experience they only practice their 'spell casting' as a form of feeling unique in a world where they are not. It's a rather sad mental state to put yourself in if your depressed about having low self-worth. To expand your mind through other, more practical means will allow you freedom from such delusions.

DiscipleOfTruth
Scholar

Post #5

Post by DiscipleOfTruth »

I have an interest in learning about and practicing witchcraft as well. From what I understand you don't have to apply faith in a god to practice magick.

Now, I'm not saying that witchcraft works. I am as much of an agnostic about this as I am about christianity. But it does interest me for the things I need more than what I want out of life. I would strongly suggest to anyone that they should do as much study as possible of it's supernatural claims first and the threats of negative consequences. To imagine that a spell backfiring or that demons(if any exists) can enter ones life in a harmful way from it shouldn't be taken lightly even if not accepted as truth.

Jake
Apprentice

Post #6

Post by Jake »

Theism is simply belief in the existence of a god or gods. So if you don't believe in a god or gods, you are still an atheism. You are gnostic, however, if you think you have access to mystical knowledge. Your question should have been, "Can I practice Wicca and remain an agnostic?" If you indeed think the source of your power is supernatural, then the answer would be no. However I would argue it is possible to practice Wicca but recognize that any benefits are scientifically explainable.