Conservative vs liberal Comedy

Religion in TV, Movies, Books, etc.

Moderator: Moderators

dusk
Sage

Conservative vs liberal Comedy

Post #1

Post by dusk »

Just because of another thread which partly started discussing the liberal, left bias in media.
Got me thinking is there anything worthwhile to watch that isn't either apolitical or liberal.
Is is easy to find comedians that make fun of religion, there are even religious ones but there is really little that defends the conservatives politically and the religiously conservatives with intelligent jokes.

I found that page and one comment that kind of sums the whole thing up.
http://www.mediaite.com/online/why-cons ... ever-will/
Actually right-wingers are hardwired without an actual sense of humor.

It's not your fault, it's like being born gay.
Do conservatives lack an actual sense of humor? Is it just really different? Why are all the big shows with many viewers very liberals? Why if there are so many potential conservative viewers in the US is nobody in the media industry making good shows that those would watch.
Are the prominent comedians naturally non-conservatives or is there another reason for it?

Thatguy
Scholar

Re: Conservative vs liberal Comedy

Post #11

Post by Thatguy »

bluethread wrote:
You cut me to the bone. :wail: I guess I'll have to keep my day job. People at my night job, at the convenience store, thought they were funny. I guess that they're just a bunch of nobodies. :drunk: To bad they aren't as intelligent as Bill Maher and Rosie O'Donnell. Yah, those two idiots Dennis Miller and Bill O"Reilly are really good at conning people into thinking that they are having a good time at all of those sold out houses on the Bold and Fresh Tour.
Glad to be of service. But rather than getting sidetracked over different tastes in comedy, forget I said anything. Do you have examples of how people react with outrage to jokes about left leaning preachers?

bluethread
Savant

Post #12

Post by bluethread »

Thatguy wrote:
bluethread wrote:
You cut me to the bone. :wail: I guess I'll have to keep my day job. People at my night job, at the convenience store, thought they were funny. I guess that they're just a bunch of nobodies. :drunk: To bad they aren't as intelligent as Bill Maher and Rosie O'Donnell. Yah, those two idiots Dennis Miller and Bill O"Reilly are really good at conning people into thinking that they are having a good time at all of those sold out houses on the Bold and Fresh Tour.
Glad to be of service. But rather than getting sidetracked over different tastes in comedy, forget I said anything. Do you have examples of how people react with outrage to jokes about left leaning preachers?
I just threw that Rev. Wright one out off the cuff. I don't recall other specific ones, but the left was not too happy over the Rev. Wright jokes from 4 years ago. I am fair and balanced. I follow Maddow and O'Donnell on MSNBC. They seem to find conservative humor particularly offensive, while considering themselves as quite clever. So, maybe we can keep a running dialogue over the next few weeks.

dusk
Sage

Post #13

Post by dusk »

bluethread wrote:why does Reverand Wright seem to feel he has to yell all of the time?
Because even with his big ears, Obama didn't hear what he said.
I don't get it how is that a right wing joke and where is the joke.
ThatGuy wrote:Glad to be of service. But rather than getting sidetracked over different tastes in comedy, forget I said anything. Do you have examples of how people react with outrage to jokes about left leaning preachers?
I guess the taste does matter a little. You can take some mediocre stand up comedian who just drops "your mama" jokes non stop and say it is comedy. Those kind of jokes may be good if they are sprinkled in a little but that is just bad comedy.
Bill Maher did complain about the young people at colleges who don't get half of his jokes and blame him for it. Of US comedians I only really know about a dozen. In German I know obviously more from a broader spectrum and we kind of divide into Kabarett and Comedy (that is just called by the English name). Kabarett is kind of the more small circle smarter kind. While Comedy is more the mainstream stuff. That mainstream stuff is just not nearly as good. There is a guy who constantly rants about women. Kind of the Anti-feminist. People like him. Some jokes a good but it is too much of the same aside from those it isn't all that good. Also sometimes he the jokes go too low. Anyway it is quite apolitical and not even against women all that much. It is always somewhat ironic.
A really good political Kabarett guy is just different. The jokes are better and there is more variety. Bavarian Kabarett got some really great ones that haven't fallen victim to the mainstream media quality. They do come from the most conservative part in all the German world, yet they mostly mock conservative politics, morals, traditions and stuff. They are really liberal. I cannot think of a single exception.
Kind of like Jews, they don't take themselves too seriously.
The really conservatives cannot watch that. It is almost like they mostly perform for the smaller part of the population.
In Carinthia (very right wing aera) there is every year a big carnival show with lots of comedians. The often mock the EU and politics in the better programs. There used to be some decent ones but they got worse every year. Out of 10 there is maybe one left worth watching.

I feel like the left is not left enough to mock them properly. The right is an easy target. Liberals in general are difficult to hit with any smart jokes. If I see a comedy program that only throws out cheap jokes it is bad comedy. It ought to deliver the truth in a satirical form. There is also a difference in the audience. If you deliver stupid jokes to people who think themselves smart it is a little like insulting them. A good program is just smart enough so the audience doesn't feel dumb not getting the jokes and still smart enough so they aren't bored by stupidity.

I feel like the right wing intellectuals lack proper comedy.
I am going to check some Youtube of the guys you mentioned.

RobertUrbanek
Apprentice

Post #14

Post by RobertUrbanek »

dusk wrote:
bluethread wrote:Not really, it's just that conservatives are not as thin skinned. When a comedian makes fun of a right wing preacher, the conservative might laugh and say, "you've got a point there." However, when a left wing preacher is made fun of there is some kind of PC issue involved that is an outrage.
Could be but I that doesn't really answer the question why there is so little intelligent conservative humor. The people in the comments seem to think it is possible but really hard, others just post really stupid bottom of the pit jokes that only work for 12 year olds. Even in European political comedy I cannot think of a single right wing comedian. Most aren't left either by our standards but would be by US standards.
RobertUrbanek wrote:South Park skewered both left and right, although most social conservatives probably found the show too vulgar for their tastes.
You got examples? IMO it is a lot more beating of right wing associated stuff than liberal stuff.

Anybody got some intelligent right wing comedy? If I think especially political comedy the names that come to mind aren't right wing at all. Could be I just don't know them.
The South Park creators have ridiculed PETA, Al Gore and Michael Moore. You might find this site of use: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/South_Park_Republican
Untroubled, scornful, outrageous — That is how wisdom wants us to be. She is a woman and never loves anyone but a warrior — Friedrich Nietzsche

SilenceInMotion
Banned
Banned

Post #15

Post by SilenceInMotion »

The inquiry to this thread can be explained rationally:

The majority of comedians come from mediocre or even unfortunate backgrounds. People who come from such backgrounds are more inclined to humor, having more dynamic emotions and thought processes.
Liberals generally have an attitude of progression, playing by the hand of social resolve. The lower classes and minorities understandably have this mentality.

On the contrary, conservatives are heavy in the upper classes, but there is also a larger amount of poor conservatives then there are wealthy liberals. This is because conservatives play by the hand of necessity, having a 'proud sentinel' approach to tradition.

With this being the case, conservatives have a limitation in comedy, because they are defenders, not offenders.

dusk
Sage

Post #16

Post by dusk »

Where the majority of people come from doesn't really explain anything. Most of liberal comedians don't come from unfortunately backgrounds but rather normal middle class to upper middle class. To be an artist you need to live longer off parents and they shouldn't be poor.
It may be true for some US stand up comedy guys but in my experience most kabarett and good comedy folks come from quite well middle class background. I know of none that used to be poor.

Either-way the total lack on the one side cannot be explained by statistics of majority even if it was true.

It may be true about the establishment and the upper class being less a source for comedians unless they are liberal.
With this being the case, conservatives have a limitation in comedy, because they are defenders, not offenders.
This seems more to the point. Liberals offend, Conservatives are offended. In my opinion liberals defend too just different values. Those values are simply much more popular to defend and also conservative stuff like (senseless traditions) are very easy to mock.
Wie? ist der Mensch nur ein Fehlgriff Gottes? Oder Gott nur ein Fehlgriff des Menschen?
How is it? Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?

- Friedrich Nietzsche

PREEST
Scholar

Post #17

Post by PREEST »

What is 'conservative' humour? I sure don't know what it would be, and if I could, I don't think that it would be funny. I guess because conservatism can't seem to use satire as a form of humour. This seems more characteristic of liberalism and liberal humour. I hope I do no wrong in summing it up like that? It's just my humble opinion. And that's not to say there are not funny christians, just that being conservative would make it extremely more difficult to be humorous, because you have less room to move.

This clip, from an atheists perspective, (well, for me anyway) is absolutely hilarious and obviously very liberal.

dusk
Sage

Post #18

Post by dusk »

PREEST wrote:What is 'conservative' humour? I sure don't know what it would be, and if I could, I don't think that it would be funny.
I agree and I guess people really cannot complain than that the entertainment industry has a liberal bias.
The only thing I could find on conservative comedy has nothing to with intelligent political satire but only the rather apolitical wife, man, drinking, culture jokes.

Still funny but there isn't anything politics in there just jokes avoiding any satirical critic of culture and politics.
Basically the difference between what we call Comedy and Kabarett in German. The former is just entertainment. The latter is more like art trying to educate, stir up, communicate a message, a meaning.
Wie? ist der Mensch nur ein Fehlgriff Gottes? Oder Gott nur ein Fehlgriff des Menschen?
How is it? Is man one of God's blunders or is God one of man's blunders?

- Friedrich Nietzsche