Why are we here?

Where agnostics and atheists can freely discuss

Moderator: Moderators

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Why are we here?

Post #1

Post by McCulloch »

No, not the big existentialist question, "Why are we (humans) here (this universe)?" but a significantly smaller question, "Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".

I can think of a number of reasons:
  • curiosity
  • overwhelming desire to convert the converted
  • intellectual challenge
  • seeking TRUTH™
  • Learn what they believe and how it is defended
  • other
Remember, only those users who have identified themselves as Atheists or Agnostics may post here, but all the users may read these posts.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Re: Why are we here?

Post #11

Post by McCulloch »

Cephus wrote:I'm only going to answer the second question. I'm here because the %#^%s at America's Debate closed down their religion debate section because they didn't personally like what was going on. Then again, I have little respect for their policies or the people running America's Debate, CD&R seems to be a heck of a lot better than AD ever was, without the utterly stupid site-politics and ridiculous policies.
Maybe you missed the point of the question. Why are you, an atheist, interested in debating Christianity online?
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

Cephus
Prodigy

Re: Why are we here?

Post #12

Post by Cephus »

McCulloch wrote:Maybe you missed the point of the question. Why are you, an atheist, interested in debating Christianity online?
No, I didn't miss it, just making a comment. ;)

Actually, I do it because it's an interesting topic, same reason I debate politics online. I don't expect it to make a bit of difference, especially religion, simply because we're not dealing with people making rational choices. No matter what anyone says, nobody is going to change their minds, so beyond being a way to test your own debating skills and logic, it's just a nice way to waste some time.

Lotan
Guru

Post #13

Post by Lotan »

McCulloch wrote:"Why are we (atheists and agnostics) here (Debating Christianity site)?".
Bustin' makes me feel good! :D
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto His people. Exodus 32:14

OccamsRazor
Scholar

Post #14

Post by OccamsRazor »

I have often thought about why I am here, especially when I know that I can never enlighten anyone nor change anyone's mind. I often think that there are a couple of reasons:

1. I enjoy debating metaphysics very much. I studied Physics and the Philosophy of Science and have always enjoyed the subject.
2. I always like people to challenge my own ideas. Maybe people feel that they may not radically change my view but I feel that my own personal view is really chrystallised by having to answer difficult questions.

I wonder how many people here (i.e. in the A-room), do it, rightly or wrongly, because they enjoy p***ing theists off. I think that there is always a little schadenfreude involved in really upsetting someone by challenging their beliefs.
One should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.

McCulloch
Site Supporter

Post #15

Post by McCulloch »

OccamsRazor wrote:I wonder how many people here (i.e. in the A-room), do it, rightly or wrongly, because they enjoy p***ing theists off. I think that there is always a little schadenfreude involved in really upsetting someone by challenging their beliefs.
ouch! There are probably some of that in both camps.
Examine everything carefully; hold fast to that which is good.
First Epistle to the Church of the Thessalonians
The truth will make you free.
Gospel of John

OccamsRazor
Scholar

Post #16

Post by OccamsRazor »

McCulloch wrote:ouch! There are probably some of that in both camps.
Oh absolutely! I don't doubt that.

What made me realise this point was that I always particularly enjoy it when someone tells me that I will burn in hell.
One should not increase, beyond what is necessary, the number of entities required to explain anything.

Lotan
Guru

Post #17

Post by Lotan »

OccamsRazor wrote:I wonder how many people here (i.e. in the A-room), do it, rightly or wrongly, because they enjoy p***ing theists off. I think that there is always a little schadenfreude involved in really upsetting someone by challenging their beliefs.
I enjoy it immensely!

There have been a few theists who genuinely believe based on their faith, and who will admit that this is so. I try to give them every respect for their honesty.

On the other hand there are plenty of amateur apologists who have little or no sense of humor, honesty or fair play and I love to showcase their lies and hypocrisy at every opportunity. Whenever I see their form of 'scholarship' anywhere outside of this MB I am reminded of just how dangerous Orwellian 'Truth' really is.

I donate a little money to NPR and I post here. If there is a better way to fight back maybe someone could make a suggestion.
And the LORD repented of the evil which he thought to do unto His people. Exodus 32:14

Cathar1950
Site Supporter

Post #18

Post by Cathar1950 »

Lotan;
Whenever I see their form of 'scholarship' anywhere outside of this MB I am reminded of just how dangerous Orwellian 'Truth' really is.
As a student of religion for most of my life and a recovering Christian, it is the Orwellian truth and the logicide that mostly concerns me.
I have admirations for much in religion and I have no desire to see it vanish but I sure would like to see more mature growth. I am by nature a doubter and a dreamer. I like science because it questions, slowly but still questions. There is that awe of life and the cosmos. Maybe string theory has some hope. It would be nice to see other dimensions. It seems to think there might be 7 or 8 more counting time.
So I enjoy the forum to keep in touch. But sometimes you just have to say something or no one tells the "true bible-believer" what’s wrong. There must be more then biblese.
When we hear things like "you are either for us or against us" or ideas like crusades and evil empires I just get the willies. I am just an Agnostic Gnostic that wants to know. I but don't think we do. The stronger the belief the less we seem to know. I doubt theist claims and evidence and if there is a God then I wonder how God could be indistinguishable from everything we see and experience. I understand atheist way to well and appreciate their honesty yet I have not giving up knowing or at least learning more. But they do have some good points. If God is Just a concept we use to extend our reach and see sympathy with the rest of the cosmos would be good enough or at least better then nothing. When ever I go my fiends and family will follow and others have gone before. So I try to take this world seriously and with a light heart and a lot of laughter. Reason and experience are our best hope and that should be good enough for any God. It is a big experiment maybe run by an idiot or just change. But I will play anyway because I have no choice until I am gone and my choices will be over and then it is whatever.

Cephus
Prodigy

Post #19

Post by Cephus »

Not I. Doing it just to piss people off is really kind of silly and immature. Now if, in getting pissed off, they actually start *THINKING*, that's different, it has a good outcome and a little anger and upset that leads to more rational thinking isn't really a bad thing.

ManBearPig
Student

Post #20

Post by ManBearPig »

I come here to make sure I'm not wrong. After all, if a Christian is wrong, they just end up wasting a lot of time/effort/money. But if we atheists/agnostics are wrong, it's significantly more expensive for us :). So I want to make sure that there aren't Christians out there who've finally found a way to make sense out of it all.

I guess as a former Christian, the fear of Hell kinda sticks with you for a long time...